C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should Chevy Split from Chevy?
Yes! Corvette would be stronger as its own brand as would Chevy.
21.26%
No! Corvette and Chevy are inseparable.
72.43%
Maybe? It could be a good/bad idea if...
6.31%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Should Corvette Split from Chevy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 11:06 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JimTN
The question has been asked here before, but not as a poll. Might get a few new answers, but I'm pretty sure I know how this one will go.
I'd guess around 90% of the forum topics or questions have been asked before. The place is going to be pretty quiet if nobody repeats a question.

Originally Posted by petermj
Viper is no longer Dodge, it is SRT. Seems like vette should assume similar path setting a stage for more performance vehicles at GM.
Two problems though: vette is a total sales flop but way too common for exclusivity and regardless of the designation
, the same Mr Goodwrench crew would be servicing them anyway. Seems like a baby step was already made toward this approach by removing the GM chicklets from the later cars
Besides trying to disassociate Viper from the Dodge brand, Dodge trucks are now Ram trucks. You're right that Corvette sales would not support a stand-alone brand. Also, I'm not so sure having Corvette on its own (in name only) would set the stage for more performance vehicles at GM. Sadly, government is dictating the future of the US auto industry instead of a free market...they try to legislate demand. They do everything possible to insure we're dependent on foreign oil and we pay high fuel prices. While Chevy just laid off workers and temporarily shut down Volt production because people don't want the car, California recently legislated by a certain year 1 of every 7 cars sold must be electric (alternate energy). The government measures "performance" in miles per gallon (or alternate energy)...not in miles per hour. Despite what the people want and despite what the engineers can do short term to enhance real performance the government has targeted high performance vehicles for eradication. The handwriting's on the wall and it starts with the down-sizing of the C7 engine. If Government Motors split-off Corvette they'd probably make the car the flagship for alternate engery...no matter how much it costs taxpayers.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:06 AM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Default only

if they expand the line a-la-porsche. more of a boutique dealership i would think.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:07 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ohmy
it might gain a qualified service department !

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-dry-sump.html

Funny you mention that. As there are "certified Corvette technicians" who are supposed to be specially trained for matters like this. I made sure to look for that before choosing a dealer.

Regardless it still provides no excuse for the above happening. Any mechanic even worth half his value, should know how to properly READ and REPLACE the correct amount of fluids in a running engine. That is mechanics 101. It could be anything from 250cc dirtbike to a M1 Abrahms battle tank.

Chevy in general needs to improve its dealership experience and customer service. One shouldnt need to track down excellent service from a particular dealer.. its something that should a given at any GM dealer.. if they are really expecting to retain customers and continue to compete as one of the worlds largest & best brands.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:40 AM
WEBDZYNER
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Service departments

You do not have to take your Corvette to the Chevrolet service department if that is a reason you want Corvette seperate from Chevrolet. Buy it at the Chevrolet dealer and if you want you can take it to a Cadillac dealership for repair if you want that level of service. They will fix your car there.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:28 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by ohmy
bc Corvette owners are tired of of getting their cars damaged everytime they take in in for service at the local CHEVY dealer...

There have been some rants on here from some folks, and some damage can occur on any car at any service department on any given day. It does not happens every time they have their car serviced.

Of the 1.5 million Corvette owners out there, a small number certainly have suffered that fate; the majority have not.

I posted somewhere else to come where I live and I will introduce you to the service department staff at our Cadillac dealer.

God help you with their work.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:24 PM
sportcruiser
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wayne O
I'd guess around 90% of the forum topics or questions have been asked before. The place is going to be pretty quiet if nobody repeats a question.

Besides trying to disassociate Viper from the Dodge brand, Dodge trucks are now Ram trucks. You're right that Corvette sales would not support a stand-alone brand. Also, I'm not so sure having Corvette on its own (in name only) would set the stage for more performance vehicles at GM. Sadly, government is dictating the future of the US auto industry instead of a free market...they try to legislate demand. They do everything possible to insure we're dependent on foreign oil and we pay high fuel prices. While Chevy just laid off workers and temporarily shut down Volt production because people don't want the car, California recently legislated by a certain year 1 of every 7 cars sold must be electric (alternate energy). The government measures "performance" in miles per gallon (or alternate energy)...not in miles per hour. Despite what the people want and despite what the engineers can do short term to enhance real performance the government has targeted high performance vehicles for eradication. The handwriting's on the wall and it starts with the down-sizing of the C7 engine. If Government Motors split-off Corvette they'd probably make the car the flagship for alternate engery...no matter how much it costs taxpayers.
Wayne, why would downsizing the engine be a bad thing. If they can produce more power and more efficiency, why isn't that good? If fact, its a very cool engineering challenge. At some point you have to do more than just jam more fuel and air in under pressure.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:30 PM
Like dem Vettes
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It should be part of the Cadillac brand. The only reason for this would be to get more courteous service. My Chevy dealer treats my Corvette as if it is a beat up pickup truck. Corvettes should be treated as luxury cars. Maybe a Cadillac dealer would exhibit a bit more courtesy and care. Corvettes are the same price as luxury vehicles..
Old 03-05-2012, 04:49 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it is an idea whose time has come. I say this only because the Corvette brand could easily spawn another model or three and Corvette is a very strong brand with a very good history.

I don't think Chevy really helps the Corvette brand anymore. C'mon guys, we're just talking a marketing exercise for the most part anyway and most Chevy dealers could care less about Corvettes. Maybe the dealer service would be better at a Corvette-specific dealer too. Maybe they could be better trained with other cars in the family.

Think of it like Porsche, they could have a small, high-performance group with a Solice/Skye-like small car, the base/Z06/ZR1 cars, a high-end Ferrari FF-like AWD 4-seater, and a Porsche Cayanne-like Corvette SUV. I could see this working, especially in a better economy.

Maybe becoming part of the Caddy brand might be ok too.

Last edited by BlueOx; 03-05-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:00 PM
XmentalPilot
Drifting

Location: "Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward; for there you have been
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Big-Red
I have been saying for YEARS that the Vette belongs with the Caddy
dealers!!

Old 03-05-2012, 06:48 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,210 Likes on 822 Posts

Just heck no.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:14 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

No, the Corvette has done good with Chevy, so why change it.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:38 PM
HighPro
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Corvette does not have the sales to make it on it's own. If it was split from Chevy there are two ways it could turn-out:

1. The price of the car would double or triple

2. There would be no more Corvettes built
Old 03-05-2012, 08:27 PM
rayk
Drifting

No. Never see a corvette again for 39,995 like is posted today.

You all want Porche pricing? Might get a better interior.

The cool thing about a vette is it's the people sports car, not the elites.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:35 PM
jasmin360
Racer

The Corvette could stand on its had GM gone racing in the 60s due to the back door policy GM had the Corvette couldn't establish itself in international racing. Zora arkus duntov wanted a mid engined Corvette and if he had his way our beloved Corvette wouldn't have needed to wait till 2009 to compete with Ferrari. Case in point you can't seperate Corvette from Chevy because every truck and the camaro SS uses a verision of the lsx platform to seperate the two would cost GM to much money and we all know GM doesn't like that
Old 03-05-2012, 11:15 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Thanks!

Thanks, that GM has not put that Bowtie patch on the front or back of the car, that is a real turn off in my mind. I wouldn't feel bad if they would just break away from GM, good riddance.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:44 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by 2006c6keller
... I wouldn't feel bad if they would just break away from GM, good riddance.
Break away from GM? Don't you want Corvette at all?

Corvette as a company would last a year!
Old 03-06-2012, 08:36 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_Pilot
With unemployment and gas prices being what they are, how in the world can anyone expect to afford a $100,000.00 car that burns premium? If the Vette is separated from GM the price per unit would go up because of the lack of support and cost controls of being part of a larger company. I don't think that Vettes can stand alone in this day and age!!
Not everyone is unemployed or can't afford gas. $100,000 cars sell every day.

Get notified of new replies

To Should Corvette Split from Chevy?

Old 03-06-2012, 10:05 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by rayk
No. Never see a corvette again for 39,995 like is posted today.

You all want Porche pricing? Might get a better interior.

The cool thing about a vette is it's the people sports car, not the elites.
Well said!

The coolest thing about a Vette.. is that so many people can buy one. I'm a pretty hardcore enthusiast.. and a big fan of everything from muscle cars to the Bugatti Veyron. But nothing gets me LESS excited about a car.. than a sticker price that goes completely off the chart and completely out of my budget. Like the GTR which now starts at $96,000!!!

And nothing gets me MORE excited about a car.. than a sticker price thats fairly affordable and something that fits in my budget. Like hearing the new 2014 C7 will start at $50,000. As much as I'd love to own a Ferrari one day.. (and I came seriously close to purchasing one), it still makes more sense to me to get something like the Vette and keep the rest of the money in the bank or use it for other purchases/hobbies.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:52 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

This discussion is based on an idea from a discredited President of GM. He was one of the architects of disaster for GM and from what I heard there was dancing in the halls when he left. Sure dunces have good ideas every now and then but the likelihood is some where between slim and none.

Bill
Old 03-06-2012, 01:19 PM
ohmy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jackhall99

There have been some rants on here from some folks, and some damage can occur on any car at any service department on any given day. It does not happens every time they have their car serviced.

Of the 1.5 million Corvette owners out there, a small number certainly have suffered that fate; the majority have not.

I posted somewhere else to come where I live and I will introduce you to the service department staff at our Cadillac dealer.

God help you with their work.
From personal experience: Chevy dealer damaged Z28 when lifting car ... Pontiac dealer damaged Solstice when lifting car... when given the tour of the service department (during my GS purchase) there were two Corvettes on the lift both being lifted without enough rocker panel clearance...

yeah, sure, it's rare that they damage cars

Quick Reply: Should Corvette Split from Chevy?