C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got ticket so upset

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 07:40 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 383 Likes on 307 Posts

I got 2 no front plate tickets in the same week by the same Cop. He told me I was a slow learner.I put the front plate on. I also staked out the 7-11 and turned him in every time he showed up.

Clif
Old 02-29-2012, 07:47 PM
C3 Vette Fan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by z06clif
I got 2 no front plate tickets in the same week by the same Cop. He told me I was a slow learner.I put the front plate on. I also staked out the 7-11 and turned him in every time he showed up.

Clif
Maybe someone can find this. I know there is a video of a police officer that wrote a ticket for no front plates. But ended up on leaving the station on several occassions driving his personal car without a front plate. If memory serves it was a Mustang.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:02 PM
Stevenyc777
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C3 Vette Fan
Again it is a easy ticket. Honestly we both know a child the age of 5 could perform this task. However to stop a car without a bumper or cracked windshield with several men in the vehicle is not so easy and may indeed be dangerous. This may also require a TVB in which the offender is taken into custody.

You did not like the Barney Fife comment yet to subscribe to his exact way of policing. Barney would give tickets for jay-walking to old ladies. As you say he "enforced all laws".

Please do not tell me law enforcement is a thankless job. This thankless jive is the same route the school teachers union plays, and since it worked so well other unions including the F.O.P use it. The job is one that has security, good pay, great pension and medical benefits. That in no way is thankless. Every time you get paid you are thanked. When you retire you are also thanked very well. When you see a doctor you are thanked using generous health care benefits. When you work Holidays and receive overtime you are thanked. When your shift changes and you get paid for shift differential you are thanked. When you receive a discount for merchandise or free coffee you are thanked. As a matter of fact you are thanked quite often and more then most. Think about a nurse and the sh*t she puts up with and how often she is thanked. I can assure you she is not thanked as much as you.
In 6 weeks 4 cops in nyc got shot one fatally! How many nurses got shot in the last 20 yrs??
Old 02-29-2012, 08:12 PM
C3 Vette Fan
Pro

Originally Posted by Stevenyc777
In 6 weeks 4 cops in nyc got shot one fatally! How many nurses got shot in the last 20 yrs??
Neither a nurse nor a police officer were made to take the job by force. Nobody made them take either job. However there are some interesting facts you should know.

In most cases police officers (unions) complain the job is thankless. Yet a police officer is thanked every pay period. Thanked with generous furlough/vacation time. Thanked with a very generous pension. Thanked with a tax exempt savings plan. Thanked with a generous uniform allowance. Thanked with a shift differential check. Thanked with discounts and free food and coffee. Thanked with job security. Thanked with with overtime when working Holidays. Often thanked much better then the average citizen.

At least a police officer can wear a bullet proof vest and carries a gun. In case you were not aware fireman or nurses are not allowed to do this.

Survey Finds Majority Of ER Nurses Assaulted At Work | KPBS.org
www.kpbs.org › News › 2009 › November › 20th
Nov 20, 2009 – Hospital emergency departments can be risky places for nurses. A survey from the Emergency Nurses Association finds a high percentage of ...

3 El Mirage firefighters assaulted during medical call
www.azcentral.com/rsslinks/1296434
Dec 8, 2009 – 3 El Mirage firefighters assaulted during medical call, Assistant fire chief: 16-year-old reportedly suffering from an overdose punched, kicked ...

Tulsa firefighters assaulted during overnight medical call | Tulsa World
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...rticleid...298...
Return to Story Tulsa firefighters assaulted during overnight medical call. BY ALTHEA PETERSON World Staff Writer Monday, March 09, 2009 3/9/2009 2:30:10 ...

Firefighter Stabbed During Medical Call Released From Hospital ...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...g-Medical-Call...
May 18, 2010 – Firefighter Stabbed During Medical Call Released From Hospital ... an assailant attacked MacDougall and stabbed him in the chest and back.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:16 PM
sgrubbs
Racer

Default Check on the driving school issue...

Neither of the two tickets you received are categorized as moving violations. Although - depending on State - you may have points assessed for non moving violations, until you accumulate a certain number of points, your license is safe.

I just got my first "no front plate" ticket here in VA about a week ago. Here, its just like a parking ticket; pay the fine - no points. Of course the fine is only $25, but you have to pay $51 court cost, $18 processing fee and an additional 4% if you pay online by credit card....roughly $100 when its all said and done. When I called the court house, they said they were still processing traffic tickets for payment from December 2011. At $100 or more per offense, the local Government around here should be comfortably in the black!

Oh - forgot to mention that I got my ticket on Interstate 295 - 1st one in 20 years. I was heading north to Quantico, VA at about 0730, cruise control was set at 70MPH in a 70MPH zone and cars were passing me regularly. State Police Officer pulled out, followed me for about 5 miles - no issues. When passing me he saw I did not have a front plate, slowed down, turned his lights and pointed for me to pull over. It was very hard for me not to ask -- REALLY!

Last edited by sgrubbs; 02-29-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:17 PM
C3 Vette Fan
Pro

I will add they are true heroes and it is indeed sad. NYC is a very dangerous place to be a cop, nurse or fireman. They are all heroes.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:20 PM
Stevenyc777
Pro

Neither a nurse nor a police officer were made to take the job by fiorce. Nobody made them take either job. However there are some interesting facts you should know.

In most cases police officers (unions) complain the job is thankless. Yet a police officer is thanked every pay period. Thanked with generous furlough/vacation time. Thanked with a very generous pension. Thanked with a tax exempt savings plan. Thanked with a generous uniform allowance. Thanked with a shift differential check. Thanked with discounts and free food and coffee. Thanked with job security. Thanked with with overtime when working Holidays. Often thanked much better then the average citizen.

At least a police officer can wear a bullet proof vest and carries a gun. In case you were not aware fireman or nurses are not allowed to do this.

Survey Finds Majority Of ER Nurses Assaulted At Work | KPBS.org
www.kpbs.org › News › 2009 › November › 20th
Nov 20, 2009 – Hospital emergency departments can be risky places for nurses. A survey from the Emergency Nurses Association finds a high percentage of ...

3 El Mirage firefighters assaulted during medical call
www.azcentral.com/rsslinks/1296434
Dec 8, 2009 – 3 El Mirage firefighters assaulted during medical call, Assistant fire chief: 16-year-old reportedly suffering from an overdose punched, kicked ...

Tulsa firefighters assaulted during overnight medical call | Tulsa World
https://www.corvetteforum.com/c6-cor...rticleid...298...
Return to Story Tulsa firefighters assaulted during overnight medical call. BY ALTHEA PETERSON World Staff Writer Monday, March 09, 2009 3/9/2009 2:30:10 ...

Firefighter Stabbed During Medical Call Released From Hospital ...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/c6-cor...g-Medical-Call...
May 18, 2010 – Firefighter Stabbed During Medical Call Released From Hospital ... an assailant attacked MacDougall and stabbed him in the chest and back.
you sound like an attorney and I'm not going to get into a verbal argument here,I am not good at expressing myself typing ,but all I can say is walk in a typical L.E shoes for 20-30 yrs and then we can talk....
Old 02-29-2012, 08:32 PM
C3 Vette Fan
Pro

you sound like an attorney and I'm not going to get into a verbal argument here,I am not good at expressing myself typing ,but all I can say is walk in a typical L.E shoes for 20-30 yrs and then we can talk....
Been there done that pal..
Old 02-29-2012, 08:37 PM
Stevenyc777
Pro

Been there done that pal..
Done what exactly?PAL!
Old 02-29-2012, 08:39 PM
C3 Vette Fan
Pro

Done what exactly?PAL!
Probably know more then you about being a police officer pal..
Old 02-29-2012, 08:41 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by PittMD1
I would have to go on record that your LE is pretty lame.
Why ? O/p breaks law, gets cited ................. LEO is doing what he gets paid to do.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:43 PM
Stevenyc777
Pro

Probably know more then you about being a police officer pal..
When you know nothing about someone and make an ignorant statement like this then I'm done..have a good night sir...
Old 02-29-2012, 08:45 PM
C3 Vette Fan
Pro

When you know nothing about someone and make an ignorant statement like this then I'm done..have a good night sir...
Typical almost beyond belief.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:53 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by Deceptikon
Maybe is't not about whats illegal or unsafe, but about how much money is generated for a city or county. Just my two cents
That is a huge part of the total picture. One of the reasons there are unreasonably low speed limits in areas that encourage the average driver to go faster because there is nothing around except the LEO waiting to enforce the law.

After 9/11 NY State temporarily assigned a lot of Upstate's State Police to NY City. This went on for several months. Then our local paper had an article highlighting comments from the County Executives of upstate counties complaining about the loss of revenue from the reduced number of speeding tickets being issued. Needless to say the safety statistics never varied just the number of speeding tickets went down because there were fewer people to write the tickets.

Bill
Old 02-29-2012, 09:07 PM
C3 Vette Fan
Pro

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
That is a huge part of the total picture. One of the reasons there are unreasonably low speed limits in areas that encourage the average driver to go faster because there is nothing around except the LEO waiting to enforce the law.

After 9/11 NY State temporarily assigned a lot of Upstate's State Police to NY City. This went on for several months. Then our local paper had an article highlighting comments from the County Executives of upstate counties complaining about the loss of revenue from the reduced number of speeding tickets being issued. Needless to say the safety statistics never varied just the number of speeding tickets went down because there were fewer people to write the tickets.

Bill

Many police departments are used to increase revenue for the municipality or state. In cases like this, it is indeed sad as the officers catch the brunt of the citizen complaints when they are ordered to do this. Often this policy to increase revenue for the municipality by having officers exclusively writing moving violations has unintended consequences. Other crimes such as home burglary and certain types of assaults along with gang crimes increase with less omni presence and visible presence of patrol cars on the streets.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:20 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

Many police departments are used to increase revenue for the municipality or state. In cases like this, it is indeed sad as the officers catch the brunt of the citizen complaints when they are ordered to do this. Often this policy to increase revenue for the municipality by having officers exclusively writing moving violations has unintended consequences. Other crimes such as home burglary and certain types of assaults along with gang crimes increase with less omni presence and visible presence of patrol cars on the streets.
Well conversely C3, many departments don't receive a dime from any of the tickets or arrests they make. Citation fine amounts are set by state law and the revenue from those tickets go to the cities and/or counties where the cite was issued, not the agency that issued the cite. Here in CA anyway, the big ripoff are the fine amounts and the so called "enhancements" where the extra fine dollars go to the DA's and the courts themselves. Also here in CA, there is no fine with a fix it ticket, hence no revenue enhancement by law enforcement, but recently (and my wife can attest to this) the Courts are now applying some type of "handling" fee (i forget the exact name of it) to process a fix it ticket. My wife got a fix it ticket for a head light being out. Once the ticket is signed off, the court is now requiring a $25 handling or processing fee. So, I must agree with alot of you about revenue enhancement but not all agencies are the same. Of course i can't speak about the OP's state or issuing agency but its clear that not all agencies/counties/cities/states play by the same rules.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:25 PM
JockamoIPA
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by cds62
Police do have discretion when it comes to motor vehicle enforcement. But like any job, they have a job to do and sometimes it means people may get a ticket for something they feel may be minor in nature. I have always liked the comment referencing enforcing more serious violations or why don't you go arrest the drug dealers. Criminals are less likely to come into a town where they know there is a greater chance of them getting stopped for a minor infraction like not having a front license plate. So by enforcing all laws, not only the "serious" violations law enforcement is doing crime prevention by discouraging would be criminals from coming into their town. The bottom line is accept the fact that you committed a violation. The police officer was doing his job. I'm sure you don't like people commenting on your job performance so don't judge others for how they do theirs. Being a police officer is a thankless job. Most people don't really want to interact with police, but when you need them, they sure as hell better be there or else you will complaint about that.
With all due respect, this "proactive policing" theory is crap. What happens when the criminals decide to start abiding by the silly non-moving laws, how are we going to catch them then? "If only he would have been missing his front lic plate, we could have caught him before he killed granny..."

This is the same as saying that making guns illegal will stop people from shooting each other, or that prohibition will keep people from drinking. People that want to skirt the law always find a way. Sad part is that often the worst offenders are public figures like LEOs. How is it that it's any safer for an undercover Crown Vic to have limo tint, but not for average joe? Or how does it make it any safer when it's your buddy that gets pulled over and he's let go? If you tell me laws are applied equally then I got a bridge for sale.

Front lic plates don't make driving any safer, it's just another tax. As far as the other mods, it's called discretion. Unless his tinted tail lights caused a wreck, let the guy go. They got people out there with chainsaws and here we have an LEO wasting time pulling over a driver TWICE for non-moving violations. Waste of taxpayer money. The driver's only fault is that he probably lives in a town trying to supplement their income on the backs of the driving public.

And regarding your inference that people don't like cops until they need them, good thing no one needed this cop to stop a violent crime while he was wasting someone's time for "tinted tail lights."

There's a bunch of people here admitting to not using front plates or having tint that is too dark. Should we arrest them because they are possible drug dealers?

I do agree that law enforcement is a dangerous and thankless job. However, I would propose to all LEOs here that if you pull a guy over, especially a fellow Vette owner, for a non-moving violation, and said driver has a valid lic, insurance, and no warrants or priors then let the guy/gal go. Like I said, they got people with chainsaws out there and you're pulling people over for tint on their tail lights!!!

Get notified of new replies

To got ticket so upset

Old 02-29-2012, 10:27 PM
C3 Vette Fan
Pro

Originally Posted by bearphoto
Well conversely C3, many departments don't receive a dime from any of the tickets or arrests they make. Citation fine amounts are set by state law and the revenue from those tickets go to the cities and/or counties where the cite was issued, not the agency that issued the cite. Here in CA anyway, the big ripoff are the fine amounts and the so called "enhancements" where the extra fine dollars go to the DA's and the courts themselves. Also here in CA, there is no fine with a fix it ticket, hence no revenue enhancement by law enforcement, but recently (and my wife can attest to this) the Courts are now applying some type of "handling" fee (i forget the exact name of it) to process a fix it ticket. My wife got a fix it ticket for a head light being out. Once the ticket is signed off, the court is now requiring a $25 handling or processing fee. So, I must agree with alot of you about revenue enhancement but not all agencies are the same. Of course i can't speak about the OP's state or issuing agency but its clear that not all agencies/counties/cities/states play by the same rules.

This is why many cities/towns now are starting to take state laws and turn them into a municipal ordinance to collect the revenue. It sadly has become a revenue fight for taxpayer dollars.

Who would of ever thought Fire Departments would charge for service? Or not even put out a fire if a service fee was not paid.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:51 PM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

whew.....wasn't I was giving Kudos a bit ago with the civility....and I even gave C3 some grief....but what I think he is saying is that use of descrection sometimes is better than a ticket......course the drivers attitude also plays a major aspect as to whether a citation is issued or just a warning and we haven't even gone down that road yet.....
Old 02-29-2012, 10:52 PM
JockamoIPA
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by cds62
C3,
Obviously you have a problem with the police, so regardless of what I say you will always feel that the ticket was not justified. Yes police get paid a salary, benefits and many other things that most that have decent jobs get as well. The main difference with police is the shift work, being away from your families on holidays and other special dates and the most important of all is the fact that law enforcement and fire fighters run a greater chance of getting hurt or killed during the performance of their jobs unlike most jobs out there. Police officer don't get paid for what they do, they get paid for what they might have to do.
Everybody is entitled to have an opinion, just don't criticize a profession because you think a ticket was unjustified even though the offender was given previous warnings.
I don't want to take anything away from the law enforcement profession, but if we're going to base pay and benefits and the honor of a profession based on danger, shifts, and being away from your family, the Crab Fishermen on the Bearing Sea take the cake. The hours suck (up to 72 hours straight - no sleep), the benefits suck (pay is not guaranteed and they have no health, retirement, life ins, workers comp, and no protection from a union or civil service commission), and they're away from their families for months at a time with no overtime pay for holidays. And it's not whether they get hurt, it's when, and they all know that death can come on the next wave.

Cops come in 10th in the most dangerous jobs in America. In fact, loggers, roofers, and sanitation workers have more dangerous jobs, and I guarantee they make less. And theres no restaurant giving these guys a free meal. And no logger or crab fisherman would ever waste my time because I have too dark of a tint on my windows.

http://www.riskmanagementmonitor.com/the-10-most-dangerous-jobs-in-america/

Quick Reply: got ticket so upset