C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIN Decoder for Options?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 09:35 AM
LPE385
Melting Slicks

Received 109 Likes on 52 Posts

Default VIN Decoder for Options?

Ok now that the Compnine website as been down for sometime now has anyone found a website that if you plug in your VIN# that it will give you all the options your car came with?

I've used a few VIN Decoder sites that say they do but all it gives you is std options.

Thanks for your time
Old 02-28-2012, 09:43 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

The VIN doesn't contain any option codes, it's just a Vehicle Identification Number.

A dealer can search the VIN to find what options were ordered with the car but the options aren't contained in the VIN.

If you want to see what options came with the car just look on the inside of the glove compartment door, there's a full list of every option code the car was delivered with.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:02 AM
LPE385
Melting Slicks

Received 109 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by haljensen
The VIN doesn't contain any option codes, it's just a Vehicle Identification Number.

A dealer can search the VIN to find what options were ordered with the car but the options aren't contained in the VIN.

If you want to see what options came with the car just look on the inside of the glove compartment door, there's a full list of every option code the car was delivered with.
Thanks for your input, but maybe I should make myself more clear. T

The VIN does tell you what options came on your car. However you have to have the right system to pull it up. Just like a GM computer if you give them your VIN they can tell you what your car came with. I don't wish to bother my Chevrolet dealer with several cars all the time.

This is why I made a reference to the Compnine website. With Compnine you could just input your VIN and it would tell you what options you car or a "car your looking at purchasing" came with. This is a tool for cars that you don't currently own but might consider purchasing.

So this is why I'm looking for another website or service other then calling up my Chevrolet dealer every time I want to look up a car.

Again any help would be great.

Thanks
Old 02-28-2012, 10:39 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by LPE385
Thanks for your input, but maybe I should make myself more clear. T

The VIN does tell you what options came on your car. However you have to have the right system to pull it up. Just like a GM computer if you give them your VIN they can tell you what your car came with. I don't wish to bother my Chevrolet dealer with several cars all the time.

This is why I made a reference to the Compnine website. With Compnine you could just input your VIN and it would tell you what options you car or a "car your looking at purchasing" came with. This is a tool for cars that you don't currently own but might consider purchasing.

So this is why I'm looking for another website or service other then calling up my Chevrolet dealer every time I want to look up a car.

Again any help would be great.

Thanks
There isn't one. You need to go to a GM dealer or to someone with access to the GM VIS. There are no other websites. Compnine was shutdown, they were a GM parts dealer with access to the GM VIS. When you put your VIN in on the website, they were using a bot to access the VIS and pull the options for the car, they were further taking the data and building a database of cars and options across years. There are no other websites doing this and GM frowns on it.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:52 AM
0CeYaBye
Former Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

LPE385, send me your VIN to dfichtner@fichtnerchevrolet.com and I will send you the option listing on the car.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:56 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Too bad Compnine went bye bye...It was an instrumental tool for helping me find the perfect vehicle/
Old 02-28-2012, 12:00 PM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by talon90
There isn't one. You need to go to a GM dealer or to someone with access to the GM VIS. There are no other websites. Compnine was shutdown, they were a GM parts dealer with access to the GM VIS. When you put your VIN in on the website, they were using a bot to access the VIS and pull the options for the car, they were further taking the data and building a database of cars and options across years. There are no other websites doing this and GM frowns on it.
Paul,
Why would GM frown on this? Seems like it would be a useful tool, especially for restorers. Kinda like the Jeff Hardy site was for buyers (which GM should be doing anyway....the aggravating search engines they have at GM are sorry compared to the way Jeff Hardy's worked).
David
Old 02-28-2012, 12:46 PM
08vycpe
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GM VIS system has more data than just the RPO's. It's linked to the warranty system and contains info like, build date, selling dealer, delivery dealer, date delivered to retail, order number, date warranty starts, any recalls, repair, and warranty repairs that were done to the vehicle, if vehicle was originally delivered to a rental car company, etc.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:52 PM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by 08vycpe
The GM VIS system has more data than just the RPO's. It's linked to the warranty system and contains info like, build date, selling dealer, delivery dealer, date delivered to retail, order number, date warranty starts, any recalls, repair, and warranty repairs that were done to the vehicle, if vehicle was originally delivered to a rental car company, etc.
Sounds like this would all be useful info. Should be available to everyone. Maybe there are things like costs that are not intended for general public?
Of course, transparency plays such a huge role since the change to Government Motors.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:08 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

While all the info that is available to the dealer about a car would be helpful to us, I suspect that the dealers wouldn't want that info to be to easily available to the public. Say a dealer takes in a car in trade and the car has a problematic history of warranty repairs. Even if the car is now 100% repaired, that info could make the car harder to sell on their used car lot(even cause the price to be lower).

The reason we want to see a VIS report, is the reason some dealers don't want us to see it.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:02 PM
sample71549
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For GM VINs, go to this site for vehicles 72 to present. http://service.gm.com/dealerworld/vincards/
Old 07-22-2013, 10:08 PM
C3Stretch
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good link by Sample!
Found my info. Must have to reference digits 12 - 17 to see what was ordered from the factory.
I will have to look for someone at GM or parts to see if I can get more info on my 81.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:54 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I think compnine.com still exists, but it's not FREE anymore.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:44 PM
mikesanto70
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by haljensen
I think compnine.com still exists, but it's not FREE anymore.
yes, they say it starts at $5, but the cheapest I saw was $10

www.compnine.com
Old 09-06-2013, 03:18 PM
Vetaholic
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by mikesanto70
yes, they say it starts at $5, but the cheapest I saw was $10

www.compnine.com
Here's the $5 option...at the very bottom of the page.

Only need to run a few?
Get 5 complete reports for $5 with no subscription

Get notified of new replies

To VIN Decoder for Options?

Quick Reply: VIN Decoder for Options?