C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lastest motor trend (Merged)

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 01:28 PM
06 C6 vert
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't get the gripe about the Vette interior. Its very basic and sporty.

Sure the seats could use more lateral support, but if you tighten down the shoulder belt so you can barely breathe it will hold you in.

The P cars have a very IMO posh high end type look that belongs in a Jag. Also the P car is pretty small inside.

Too much snob appeal for me.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:49 PM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
Let me summarize how the article will read:

Price - Corvette wins easily by $30,000.00 as tested.
Features - Corvette includes equal or more standard features.
Performance - Corvette stops sooner, accelerates equal or faster, does the slalom in a better time and beats the Porsche on a road course.
Interior - Porsche wins (reference price as tested ). Insert various jokes and comments about plastic, poor seats, etc.

Overall winner - Porsche.

Porsches are waay waay overpriced. I had a 2003 996TT I bought new, drove for 5 years & replaced with a 08Z & preferred the Z06 over the Porsche. Minor side benefit, half the price !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-28-2012, 02:16 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,934 Likes on 4,814 Posts

What else would you expect from the article, same thing every so often in Car and Driver, Automobile and many of the other car magazines. Vette owners vent, Porsche owners grin. Does it really matter what they say, enjoy your ride.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:30 PM
ohmy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The price difference is somewhat a ridiculous thing to ignore, a better comparo-test would have been the 911 vs the Z06... however, I think the 911 would win that test as well...
Old 02-28-2012, 02:35 PM
C3 Vette Fan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ohmy
The price difference is somewhat a ridiculous thing to ignore, a better comparo-test would have been the 911 vs the Z06... however, I think the 911 would win that test as well...
ZR1 would be the correct comparo.

Bias is as clear as the day is long. Hey the major news networks and major papers do it. The auto writers see that and know they can get away with it.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:55 PM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO, here are the most 'fair' competitions. In fact I have seen these before in other car mags.

911 Turbo vs ZR1
911 Carrera S vs Z06
Cayman (S) vs Base (GS)

The Vette always smashes the P car by 2-3 seconds a lap, but they frequently 'prefer' the Porsche.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:37 PM
ravill
Pro

Originally Posted by KneeDragr
they frequently 'prefer' the Porsche.
Or the BMW
Old 02-28-2012, 04:04 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,475 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I also read that article a short time ago, and even though I usually ignore such articles that constantly bash Corvette for no good reason, I was pretty much offended by this one. So, 911 S has much narrower tires, the tire type is obviously good for the wet/cold, and more importantly, it has much less torque with 62%(!!!!!) of its weight is on its rear tires, and you think it handles well in wet since it's sophisticated? This is not even ignorant, this is dumb. That 62% weight will keep its rear planted when on throttle, but cost the car at ultimate handling, evidenced by their own numbers.

Long story short, this time, the article was not only useless, it was offensive with its ignorance.

Last edited by X25; 02-28-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:11 PM
chiefzusaf
Instructor

'Tis why I got rid of my subscription to that rag years ago...

Last edited by chiefzusaf; 02-28-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:15 PM
Pecanman
Instructor

Originally Posted by talon90
Let me summarize how the article will read:

Price - Corvette wins easily by $30,000.00 as tested.
Features - Corvette includes equal or more standard features.
Performance - Corvette stops sooner, accelerates equal or faster, does the slalom in a better time and beats the Porsche on a road course.
Interior - Porsche wins (reference price as tested ). Insert various jokes and comments about plastic, poor seats, etc.

Overall winner - Porsche.

Done. Thread closed.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:31 PM
REVAK
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Stopped renewing my various car mag subscriptions a few years ago. IMHO they all started leaning one way and the bias was just too obvious. One always favors the "blue oval" guys, one automatically favors Japan, another favors Germany and sometimes they state this even before the respective cars are driven .
Old 02-28-2012, 04:44 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by laconiajack
Read it and weep; the G/S is a fair weather car. Of course, nobody who owens one wants to acknowlege the fact, and will say Motor Trend is predjudiced against Corvettes, yadda, yadda, yadda. Not true, they simply reported the facts that some find hard to swallow. Unfortunately these kind of reports don't help Corvette sales; too bad they didn't test the base model equipped with the F55 suspension, it would have faired much better.
There is not one emblem/nameplate on the Corvette that says it is a Lexus. The Corvette is a high performance sports car and just because you think it should drive/ride like a Lexus doesn't make it one. The rest of us know what a Corvette is. I, for one, don't want my Z06 to ride/perform like a Lexus. If I did, I would be on a Lexus site, where you should be.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:58 PM
ohmy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by laconiajack
Read it and weep; the G/S is a fair weather car. Of course, nobody who owens one wants to acknowlege the fact, and will say Motor Trend is predjudiced against Corvettes, yadda, yadda, yadda. Not true, they simply reported the facts that some find hard to swallow. Unfortunately these kind of reports don't help Corvette sales; too bad they didn't test the base model equipped with the F55 suspension, it would have faired much better.
All C6s, not just the GS, are fair weather cars. I own a GS, and I'll be the first one to admit that But as far as the comparison goes, who cares which car is the better performer when it rains? I don't push my car in the rain, that's just stupid, I drive like an old lady when the weather is bad. I didn't read the article so I don't know if they were fair or not, but to compare two sports cars in the rain is useless. Unless, the article is called: "Bad Weather Competition"...
Old 02-28-2012, 05:22 PM
C3 Vette Fan
Pro

Originally Posted by JoesC5
There is not one emblem/nameplate on the Corvette that says it is a Lexus. The Corvette is a high performance sports car and just because you think it should drive/ride like a Lexus doesn't make it one. The rest of us know what a Corvette is. I, for one, don't want my Z06 to ride/perform like a Lexus. If I did, I would be on a Lexus site, where you should be.
Great point
Old 02-28-2012, 05:34 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by superscout03
Porsche is already known as the most lazy of vehicle designers...
Source?

...the 911 has barely changed its body in over 20 years.
That has nothing to do with the designers and engineers and everything to do with Porsche's Marketing and Management divisions avoiding trying to "fix" something that isn't broken.

BTW, here are some of the products Porsche's designers and engineers have produced:

Old 02-28-2012, 05:36 PM
C3 Vette Fan
Pro

MT better not have said anything about the design of the vette and how its body style is 8 years old. Porsche is already known as the most lazy of vehicle designers, the 911 has barely changed its body in over 20 years. Porsches are fun to drive but damn they just look out dated no matter which one you get. Look at the fail porsche boxter, ooooh iit looks just like the caymen, ooooh and looks like the 911. oooh and the SUV porsche looks like a 911 with taller tires.
Outstanding point. Anyone outside the fifth grade knows this.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:46 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sportcruiser
Any car with wide, summer tires on it is a fair weather car.
The 991 tested in the article was fitted with Pirelli PZero tires. The PZero is a maximum performance summer tire.

Get notified of new replies

To Lastest motor trend (Merged)

Old 02-28-2012, 06:01 PM
Notch
Safety Car

For those that haven't actually read the Motor Trend article, here's the link:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._s_comparison/
Old 02-28-2012, 06:14 PM
rz2mbc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chiefzusaf
'Tis why I got rid of my subscription to that rag years ago...
Ditto........why do you folks keep reading that trash ( I refuse to call it a magazine ).
Old 02-28-2012, 06:19 PM
C3 Vette Fan
Pro

Originally Posted by rz2mbc
Ditto........why do you folks keep reading that trash ( I refuse to call it a magazine ).

Just fun to bash them on the forum. I used to buy Motor Trend until they began to have a deep bias for and against certain cars and manufacturers.

It won't be long until the end for MT is is sight. The writing is clearly on the wall. Bias and unfair comparisons will only speed up the inevitable end.

Quick Reply: Lastest motor trend (Merged)