C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone using RK Sport rear spoiler?

Old 05-12-2011, 09:06 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone using RK Sport rear spoiler?

Not sure if this is my bad luck or my car is out of shape but something that should ordinarily take five mins to install, took me over four hours. I had one in CF from my previous C6, 07. I bought it and never put it on. My Z has a full length OEM so this one was sitting until I got myself 09 DD. This car is silver, wanted to add an accent so decided to put this rear spoiler on. Tried it dry, seemed a bit non comforming to the top of the bumper but already had the double tape thus only very little grinding possible. Put it on, it flexed on the ends but it stuck. Five minutes later, boom, it holds only in the middle. The foam tape RK uses decided to stick only in the middle of the car, PIA but it finally came off. So off with the tape piece by piece and back on the bumper to make it fit-way off!!! An hour later, after delicate grinding not to mess up the surface CF, finally kinda fits but only so so, seems way out of shape. So decided to use my own VHB black rubber industrial tape, building up on the ends and leaving nothing in the middle to compensate for the poor shape. Took three layers on the ends plus fading out the thickness of the tape toward the middle to finally make the effing spoiler fit semi flush on the bumper. Now, using this tape and compensating for poor shape, the spoiler finally sits without any flex and so the tape does not pop up but gheez, this is a truly poor fitting piece. If the included screws were to be used, either the spoiler would crack or the bumper would give. Anyone else using this piece? Not the cheapest piece BTW. Did my piece warped from sitting for too long or just a bad design?
Old 05-13-2011, 11:26 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

So nobody is using this piece?
Old 03-02-2012, 01:10 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Gotta bump it up again since I never got any help on this one
Old 03-02-2012, 09:02 AM
rfheis
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by petermj
Not sure if this is my bad luck or my car is out of shape but something that should ordinarily take five mins to install, took me over four hours. I had one in CF from my previous C6, 07. I bought it and never put it on. My Z has a full length OEM so this one was sitting until I got myself 09 DD. This car is silver, wanted to add an accent so decided to put this rear spoiler on. Tried it dry, seemed a bit non comforming to the top of the bumper but already had the double tape thus only very little grinding possible. Put it on, it flexed on the ends but it stuck. Five minutes later, boom, it holds only in the middle. The foam tape RK uses decided to stick only in the middle of the car, PIA but it finally came off. So off with the tape piece by piece and back on the bumper to make it fit-way off!!! An hour later, after delicate grinding not to mess up the surface CF, finally kinda fits but only so so, seems way out of shape. So decided to use my own VHB black rubber industrial tape, building up on the ends and leaving nothing in the middle to compensate for the poor shape. Took three layers on the ends plus fading out the thickness of the tape toward the middle to finally make the effing spoiler fit semi flush on the bumper. Now, using this tape and compensating for poor shape, the spoiler finally sits without any flex and so the tape does not pop up but gheez, this is a truly poor fitting piece. If the included screws were to be used, either the spoiler would crack or the bumper would give. Anyone else using this piece? Not the cheapest piece BTW. Did my piece warped from sitting for too long or just a bad design?
The bolt on spoiler use 10 bolts...perhaps that is why.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:14 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rfheis
The bolt on spoiler use 10 bolts...perhaps that is why.
If I recall. there are only four bolts on this spoiler and instructions clearly indicated them as OPTIONAL, this is why there are only holes to install them instead of studs mounted to the spoiler. The shape does not follow the contour of the top of the bumper. If I used bolts, chances are good the spoiler would break
Old 03-02-2012, 09:28 AM
SeanMo
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Originally Posted by petermj
If I recall. there are only four bolts on this spoiler and instructions clearly indicated them as OPTIONAL, this is why there are only holes to install them instead of studs mounted to the spoiler. The shape does not follow the contour of the top of the bumper. If I used bolts, chances are good the spoiler would break
I just have the fiberglass one, but it seemed to fit nice. It's just held on with double sider tape, but I put on the 3m good stuff. Never had any issues and it's been over 2 years.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:40 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SeanMo
I just have the fiberglass one, but it seemed to fit nice. It's just held on with double sider tape, but I put on the 3m good stuff. Never had any issues and it's been over 2 years.
I am tossing the idea of either replacing my CF RK turd with full width GM or get FG RK and have it painted to colour. I like RK better but just wanted to make sure my turd is an exception and not the rule to these spoilers. If yours fits nice, it seems I just had bad luck with my CF piece. Then again, I had it sitting in a box for over a year, maybe it warped from sitting but I seriously doubt it
Old 03-02-2012, 01:09 PM
SloChicken
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanMo
Same here. I have the. Carbon. Been on for 2+ years - no problems. With the vhb 3m tape prep is everything.
I think this is one of the best fitting spoilers made.
Good luck!
Old 03-02-2012, 01:22 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SloChicken
Same here. I have the. Carbon. Been on for 2+ years - no problems. With the vhb 3m tape prep is everything.
I think this is one of the best fitting spoilers made.
Good luck!
Unfortunately not the one I have but it seems I should not get discouraged by mine then. I really like the way it looks and the fact it does not require drilling. And yeah, I prepped it very well except for the problems with the gaps at the ends that required me to actually triple the tape. I use very high quality industrial grad VHB 3M tape.

Last edited by petermj; 03-02-2012 at 01:24 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone using RK Sport rear spoiler?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone using RK Sport rear spoiler?