C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broke the seat recliner

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 01:50 AM
chsia
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Broke the seat recliner

Used too much force trying to adjust the recline. Not sure how to fix it DIY?

Old 02-26-2012, 02:00 AM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It doesn't look broken in the picture.

Not trying to insult you: Have you tried pressing it back into place? The metal C-clip will offer a bit of resistance... push past that, and it should pop right into place.

Just make sure you line-it-up properly before pressing.

Or, if the handle itself is broken, get a new one. I think it's a $7 part:

http://store.gmpartshouse.com/parts/...cline%20handle
Old 02-26-2012, 08:31 AM
designerRob
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like the male end that the handle attaches to is pushed into the seat. So much so that you can't put the handle on. The handle doesn't look like it's broke.

It seems to me that you'll have to remove the seat and take it apart to get to the recliner mechanism and either you can fix it or replace that module. Maybe someone that's had there seat out of there car could be more specific. Good luck! And keep us posted on the fix.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:10 AM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by designerRob
It looks like the male end that the handle attaches to is pushed into the seat. So much so that you can't put the handle on. The handle doesn't look like it's broke.

It seems to me that you'll have to remove the seat and take it apart to get to the recliner mechanism and either you can fix it or replace that module. Maybe someone that's had there seat out of there car could be more specific. Good luck! And keep us posted on the fix.

Yes, it is not broken from what I can see. That shaft is way to far back into the seat.

That shaft has small slits on each side that the 'C' ring slips into to hold that handle in place. If those slits are not out past the surface of the seat control cover, you will never get that handle to lock onto the shaft.

That part of the handle with the 'C' ring will NOT slide into that hole. Believe me, I know. I just changed out my 2010 seats to the 2012 version and had a bitch of a time getting my passenger's seat handle back on that shaft.

Here is a photo of what it should look like when it is out far enough. It looks like your handle may have NEVER been all the way on that shaft. If it was locked in correctly, it would have never come off that way.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:21 AM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

If you can get the shaft out far enough, by either pulling on it, or by taking the seats out and pushing out on it from under the seat, then you will be able to slide the handle onto the shaft and if you can push it onto the shaft far enough, the 'C' clip should catch in the slots.

The tapered end of the shaft allows you to push the handle onto the shaft and as it goes on, the clip will expand and then catch in the slots on each side. If it is caught correctly, it will not slide back off.

Unfortunately, I am pretty sure that you will need to remove your seats to get it back on there.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:49 AM
chsia
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE
If you can get the shaft out far enough, by either pulling on it, or by taking the seats out and pushing out on it from under the seat, then you will be able to slide the handle onto the shaft and if you can push it onto the shaft far enough, the 'C' clip should catch in the slots.

The tapered end of the shaft allows you to push the handle onto the shaft and as it goes on, the clip will expand and then catch in the slots on each side. If it is caught correctly, it will not slide back off.

Unfortunately, I am pretty sure that you will need to remove your seats to get it back on there.
Thanks for info. I will go to dealer then.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:01 PM
studiovette
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What was the outcome of your handle problem. Please post or PM me. I had my handle fall off on my way home from dealership with not even 20 miles on my 2012 GS but have been too scared to bring it in for something like this as they will definitely F something up in the process.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:41 AM
tt350z
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem after I had my seats re upholstered. Im bringing my car to them hopefully they can fix it
Old 04-03-2014, 10:25 PM
LAK3RS
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

My recliner broke today as well. I just got it out of the shop, and haven't driven it in over four months! Lol. My seat just falls all the way back, and I'm not sure if the issue is the handle, or maybe even the cable. I'd like some input as well if possible. I'm gonna run outside real quick and take a look at it to see what's up.

I'm all for getting the parts and doing the fix myself, I just don't know what I need...

http://store.gmpartshouse.com/parts/...iagram=CF05335

Last edited by LAK3RS; 04-03-2014 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:50 PM
studiovette
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

After 4 visits to the dealer and having them order the wrong parts a few times they fixed mine. They had to remove the entire seat and replace the cable and the piece the handle attaches to. So I think that's basically the entrie assembly. Mind u this happened to me when my 2012 GS had 10 miles on it on the way home from picking my GS up in NH. Luckily I had already adjusted the seat to s comfy position
Old 04-04-2014, 11:35 AM
LAK3RS
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going to snap a couple pics real quick. I'm thinking I just need to swap out the cable, and maybe some type of bracket on the back passenger side of the driver seat. Maybe someone on here can tell me what I need....
Old 09-07-2014, 06:13 PM
wrh3
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know, old thread but thought I would share what I learned today for future searches. It is VERY easy to push the seat recline shaft into the seat and once it is past the spring, you will not be able to pull it back out and have to remove the seat so that you can position the spring in the correct place while pushing the shaft back out. You may be able to access it through the bottom without removing the seat cushion, I fixed mine by removing the seat bottom that I had just re-installed after adding the popular seat rebuild kit when I took these pictures:

Get notified of new replies

To Broke the seat recliner

Quick Reply: Broke the seat recliner