C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Added Benefit of Michelin Tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 07:06 AM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Are (1) Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP and (2) Michelin PS 2 ZP the same tire or are they two different tires?
Old 02-26-2012, 07:18 AM
rnelson11
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A/S = All season
PS = Performance Summer

I worked for Michelin for 37 years before I retired last year and can say that their engineering and quality control is outstanding. That's not to say that Goodyear and the rest do not make good tires.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:43 AM
xBrahmaBullx
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11

I just installed a set of the Michelin PS 2 ZP yesterday. Had to drive an hour from Tennessee to Asheville, NC to get them though. No Discount Tire where I live. I LOVE these tires. Much quieter and they have a grip like a homerun derby winner. Unless Goodyear improves drastically, no plans to ever switch back.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:57 AM
bass mechanic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the only downside i see to these tires is they absolutely suck in cold weather! to the point that IMO they are unsafe on a highway at anything below 30 degrees F
Old 02-26-2012, 12:42 PM
Orange06
Advanced

I got my Pilot Sport A/S mounted at Costco yesterday. The Goodyears still had plenty of tread; the tire tech even mentioned it when I picked up the car. I got really tired of the road noise during my commute. I haven't even had them on for a day, but I can tell the Michelins are noticeably quieter and smoother. Since the OP mentioned it, the Vette did seem to track better yesterday. I'll have to pay attention to that over the coming week and see how different it feels.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:56 PM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by rnelson11
A/S = All season
PS = Performance Summer

I worked for Michelin for 37 years before I retired last year and can say that their engineering and quality control is outstanding. That's not to say that Goodyear and the rest do not make good tires.
OK. Thanks for the info. I was wonderin' what all those letters meant.....:o
Old 02-26-2012, 02:21 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

My experience has also shown that tramlining is not 100% related to the width of the tire. As you have found out, the same size tire but a different brand(design) also enters into the equation, and changes how the tire reacts to extraneous forces..
Old 02-26-2012, 03:17 PM
VictoryRed
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MilehiDenver
What does a set from Discount cost if you don't mind me asking?
Front tires ran $369 each, rear tires were $429 each for a total of: $1,596 + sales tax and alignment. In NJ I also had to pay a "tire disposal" fee of $20 ($5 per tire).
Old 02-26-2012, 03:38 PM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Digital Widgets
Hmmm....I'm baffled by all of the "quieter and smoother" comments. I replaced the OEM on my 2011GS, with the PS2 ZP....and there is no way these tires are quieter. I'd lean towards 20-30% louder. There are times that these new tires are drowning out the M2W with the valves open while cruising on certain road surfaces.

While I really like the handling characteristics better with these tires, but I can't tell you how many times I've instinctively reached down to switch the F55 from Sport Mode to Tour Mode and found that I was already in Tour Mode since I put these on a month ago. To me, these tires have firmed up the Tour Mode a bit more like the Sport Mode.

I'm not saying I don't like these tires, but I definitely would not call them quieter and smoother. YMMV

Replaced the tires on your 11 GS already...how many miles?...did you have the F1's or the F1-G2's?. G2's are great, noticeable improvement over F1's quieter, stickier and comfortable) I'd love to hear from anyone who had the opportunity to have both and compare F1-G2's VS Michelin PS2 ZP (for future reference as I only have 3700 miles on my G2's now)
Old 02-26-2012, 04:07 PM
Jimsan
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought the Michelin AS ZPs last fall, and no complaints as of 5 snow storms and continually cold weather. Tires have plenty of traction, and seem to like the cold weather streets with good grip both in the city and on the highway.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:10 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,057 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by rnelson11
A/S = All season
PS = Performance Summer
Officially, "PS" stands for "Pilot Sport", the current version is "Pilot Sport 2" which everyone abbreviates "PS2".

But "Performance Summer" is a far better description of what the tires actually are.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:12 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,057 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by bass mechanic
the only downside i see to these tires is they absolutely suck in cold weather! to the point that IMO they are unsafe on a highway at anything below 30 degrees F
Most summer tires absolutely suck in cold weather, but our PS2 runflats seem to do better in temps below freezing, than our Z51 Supercar tires did previously.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:31 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Officially, "PS" stands for "Pilot Sport", the current version is "Pilot Sport 2" which everyone abbreviates "PS2".

But "Performance Summer" is a far better description of what the tires actually are.
Jim, I agree what it looks like. but actually, in looking at the tirerack title for the tire (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/michel...elin-tires.jsp), it is listed under "Performance Summer" tires.

but, the tire itself is, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. so, the "PS" part could be the Performance Summer mentioned by rnelson.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:05 PM
carnut08
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
I'm glad you like the Michelins; I do, too. But, I disagree with your analysis that the Goodyears wandered/tramlined. I went thru 2 sets of Supercars on all kinds of roads and never had that happen. May be unique to my car, or to yours. It isn't, however, a normal or usual occurrence, at least not from CF members that I've read here.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:18 PM
BobBass
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can forget about GM shodding the "regular" Vette with anything BUT Goodyears. After all, it is AMERICA'S SPORTS CAR!
Old 02-26-2012, 08:39 PM
usraptor
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
I'm glad you like the Michelins; I do, too. But, I disagree with your analysis that the Goodyears wandered/tramlined. I went thru 2 sets of Supercars on all kinds of roads and never had that happen. May be unique to my car, or to yours. It isn't, however, a normal or usual occurrence, at least not from CF members that I've read here.
Still have my OEM Supercars on my '07 (13K miles) and have never experienced this wandering. I sure hope the Michelin AS car tires are better than the Michelin AS and AT truck tires that came new on my '07 Dodge Ram and '11 Chevy Silverado. They had/have terrible traction in the wet/snowy Utah weather. 'Course I don't drive the Vette during the winter, just saying...
Old 02-28-2012, 05:05 AM
hdff
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

here is something i noticed on a pair of michelins compaired to a pair of goodyears i had on my cts-v. the michelin looked narrower that the goodyear. i replaced the 2 back tires but kept the goodyears on the front. the goodyears were eagles and the backs were michelin a/s. the tires were the same size but i can't remember what it was and were non-runflats. has anyone noticed this when replacing the goodyears with the michelins? i liked the michelins they just didn't look as meaty as the goodyears.....

Get notified of new replies

To Added Benefit of Michelin Tires

Old 02-28-2012, 10:04 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by hdff
here is something i noticed on a pair of michelins compaired to a pair of goodyears i had on my cts-v. the michelin looked narrower that the goodyear. i replaced the 2 back tires but kept the goodyears on the front. the goodyears were eagles and the backs were michelin a/s. the tires were the same size but i can't remember what it was and were non-runflats. has anyone noticed this when replacing the goodyears with the michelins? i liked the michelins they just didn't look as meaty as the goodyears.....
The OEM GY are definitely a little wider than the AS+, here is a shot of my car with both tires on the rear in the stock 285 width. GY on the left, AS+ on the right.

I plan on ordering future AS+ in a rear 305 and front 265, to compensate.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:22 AM
KRPTONT
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I completely agree with you. I will be putting these on my car this spring/summer. Looking forward to it. Did the ride/drive at the AutoBahn last year and such a huge difference. I also told the people from Cheverolet about the GY that they are junk. That my 2cents. LOL
Old 02-28-2012, 03:58 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
The OEM GY are definitely a little wider than the AS+, here is a shot of my car with both tires on the rear in the stock 285 width. GY on the left, AS+ on the right.

I plan on ordering future AS+ in a rear 305 and front 265, to compensate.

We have different tire, so I am only commenting on mine! Beside, I can not make out any difference from your pic. or what type of tires you have!

I had optical illusion with my PS2 ZP mounted on Gumbies, appeared narrower due to difference in side wall construction comparing with the Supercar on OEM five spoke. I had the two set side by side, the narrower width illusion was eliminated in my case, by measuring actual thread contact patch and it is the same for both F/R.

After switching, Michelin still give the narrower illusion. Bottom line is, personally, not into exaggerated looks, I bought the PS2 in stock size for what it is and certainly, I am not disappointed!

Quick Reply: Added Benefit of Michelin Tires