C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looks from people at driver and vette

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 10:41 AM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,074 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by cclive
My favorite response in from little kids, because they are too young to be bitter, jealous etc. When a little kid yells out "nice car" from the sidewalk, that's the best.
Yep, that was me 50 years ago, giving the thumbs up. Now it puts a smile on my face when I get the thumbs up or nice car.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:41 AM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IowaGuy
I know many camaro enthusiasts who love vettes. I give them a nod if at a gas station or something.
I usually give them a thumbs-up instead of the typical Vette wave. They appreciate it and usually smile. Some of those Camaro's are awesome looking.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:11 AM
madmxnj
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My favorite response in from little kids, because they are too young to be bitter, jealous etc. When a little kid yells out "nice car" from the sidewalk, that's the best.
That is great, I love that too. And its typically the only verbal reaction I get out of anybody.

But like others have also said, i bought the vette for me. It was the natural progression from mustangs, firebirds, and camaros. i considered going M3, M roadster, used 911, etc; but the C6 was always the 800 lb gorilla.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:15 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,458 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Old 03-29-2012, 12:06 AM
Drino
Advanced

So how many of you ride motorcycles too?

I've had my Victory Red coupe for just 2 weeks, and I already see parallels between driving a Vette and riding my motorcycle. (I have two Victory Motorcycles, a 2010 Cross Country for touring and a custom 2009 Cory Ness Signature Jackpot with a huge 250mm rear tire). And yes, I'm a woman.

Here are the motorcyclist rules of engagement in a nutshell:

Sportbike riders for the most part ignore cruiser riders and vice versa.
Harley riders either admire or resent Victory riders.
All motorcyclists are expected to 'wave'. Or at least dip your head in acknowledgement of the other rider.
All motorcyclists share a bond and help a fellow rider in need.
No motorcyclist would be caught dead waving to someone on a scooter.

When was the last time you waved to a driver of a Smart car? LOL

I'm just tickled that the motorcycle community feel is present in Corvette owners!
Old 03-29-2012, 12:18 AM
All2Easy
Racer

Originally Posted by Drino
So how many of you ride motorcycles too?

I've had my Victory Red coupe for just 2 weeks, and I already see parallels between driving a Vette and riding my motorcycle. (I have two Victory Motorcycles, a 2010 Cross Country for touring and a custom 2009 Cory Ness Signature Jackpot with a huge 250mm rear tire). And yes, I'm a woman.

Here are the motorcyclist rules of engagement in a nutshell:

Sportbike riders for the most part ignore cruiser riders and vice versa.
All motorcyclists are expected to 'wave'. Or at least dip your head in acknowledgement of the other rider.
All motorcyclists share a bond and help a fellow rider in need.
No motorcyclist would be caught dead waving to someone on a scooter.

When was the last time you waved to a driver of a Smart car? LOL

I'm just tickled that the motorcycle community feel is present in Corvette owners!
I have been riding for 20 plus years.

Currently have a 2011 BMW R1200GS Adventure, 2011 Ducati Diavel and a 2010 Kawasaki Concours in the garage.

Vette owners are very similar to fellow motorcyclist.....very passionate about ownership.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:28 AM
ClipperFan
Race Director

Received 65 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by IowaGuy
I know many camaro enthusiasts who love vettes. I give them a nod if at a gas station or something. In the Midwest you run into a lot of brand loyalty. Hell, I'm guilty of it myself.
You're right, one of the reasons I bought a Camaro many years ago was because I had a 2 year old.......
Old 03-29-2012, 10:17 AM
Crowhater
Drifting

I find I get two diffrent looks, either the "man that car sounds good" or the "what is wrong with his car look".

Old 03-29-2012, 10:36 AM
Lukkyseven
Advanced

Originally Posted by tumblrC6

I figured goin from that to the vette, all that would double....and it didnt. People never wanted to race and i just felt i got less attention lol Its cool...i still love it!!
I just went from a boosted GTO to a cammed Vette. People aren't going to want to race me!? I hope this is a not so true statement. I know I used to love racing vette's (That's if you can get half the owners to get out of 6th gear).
Old 03-29-2012, 10:42 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by out4uv8
Ok, I've now had the vette for 2 weeks and I've loved it (even after replacing the harmonic balancer), but I've enjoyed the looks from other people the most. Stereotypically here is how they stack up.

I'll add respectively that I'm 28yrs old and so people tend to be a little shocked when I step out at a gas station or such.

-Children- Either love it or don't notice it.
-girls/women, Love it!!!!!
-Guys in their 20's are jealous but try to be too cool to show it, (though I've gotten multiple drunk texts from my Marines about how much they like it)
-Any man 30+ that is driving a truck, tries to ignore that I'm standing there.
-Any man 30+ with a family with him looks once, drools, and then I assume ponders the idea of "Another life, another time, that could have been/was me"
-Any man 30+ with any type of sportscar, (mustang included) waves, smiles, and there's an understanding there, a mutual respect.
-Occasionally someone notices and is truly bitter that to them "a kid" has a vette, surely bought by his parents for him.
-Any lastly anyone with a vette of any year, any condition, gives and gets a wave! Keep the wave going!!!

The best part is the sheer bitterness that some people have over other people's success. I'm not trying to sound cocky in any way, but I'm not bitter at someone that drives by in an Audi R8 or an Aston. I just know that they must have been lucky or done something right and they enjoy their money and their status.

Semper wave!
Does a tree make a sound falling down when there is nobody around to hear it? Best to concentrate on driving your car instead of fishing for reactions from others. Typically, it takes two...
Old 03-29-2012, 11:03 AM
Jerky
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crowhater
I find I get two diffrent looks, either the "man that car sounds good" or the "what is wrong with his car look".

I get that all the time! Some people just don't recognize "performance pop"
Old 03-29-2012, 02:09 PM
Bowtie_Brigade
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Drino
- Are you sure you haven't reversed this statement?

Suggested corrected version: Victory, Indian, etc., riders either admire or resent Harley riders.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:32 PM
Drino
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bowtie_Brigade
- Are you sure you haven't reversed this statement?

Suggested corrected version: Victory, Indian, etc., riders either admire or resent Harley riders.
One of my Victorys... my statement stands uncorrected. Actually some of my best riding buddies are Harley riders and sportbike riders. As long as it's got two wheels, yes? Well, except for those scooters.....

Old 03-29-2012, 04:15 PM
COL-INF
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

That is an incredible ride.............

Old 03-29-2012, 05:04 PM
ohmy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

-girls/women, Love it!!!!!
-Guys in their 20's are jealous but try to be too cool to show it, (though I've gotten multiple drunk texts from my Marines about how much they like it)
-Any man 30+ that is driving a truck, tries to ignore that I'm standing there.
-Any man 30+ with a family with him looks once, drools, and then I assume ponders the idea of "Another life, another time, that could have been/was me"
-Any man 30+ with any type of sportscar, (mustang included) waves, smiles, and there's an understanding there, a mutual respect.
-Occasionally someone notices and is truly bitter that to them "a kid" has a vette, surely bought by his parents for him.
-Any lastly anyone with a vette of any year, any condition, gives and gets a wave! Keep the wave going!!!
Dude... you are waaaayyyy too concerned about other people.

First, I doubt that most of the statements are actually accurate, sure there are those that fit your assessment, but I think MOST people don't notice, or care about a person driving a Vette, or most other cars.

The people that will notice are other car enthusiasts, and I doubt the generalizations above fit that group.

BTW, I know many women in their 20s, and guess what, out of that bunch not a single one thinks very highly of the Vette, they all think the Vette is a dork mobile and make fun of people who drive them. I've had that conversation before I bought mine, and it surprised me just how disliked the Vette is among this crowd.... BTW, If I had to generalize their preferences, it would be pro Audi/BMW/Lexus...

Last edited by ohmy; 03-29-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:45 PM
Legal Alien
Pro

I rarely post in general cause I find lots of it utter drivel but this made me chuckle. Pondering the idea of another life another time???? Seriously dude, nobody wants to be you that much. I love my car and would be totally unfazed if nobody knew I had it.

However, I'll tell you what, I love my family and kids way more. Incidentally, I am in my upper thirties and glad of the maturity and respect for others that come with it.

Enjoy your life, enjoy the compliments, laugh off the ridicule. If you serve then it will come naturally to you, it does me.

As a side note, I borrowed a friends early nineties Chrysler le baron (nice shade of green) the other day. It is his commuting hack and worth about the same as a pack of cigarettes. I got many more glances and waves in that thing than I do the Vette. It also made me smile from ear to ear the way it bounces down the road and the fact the stereo is worth more than the car!

I wish I had some stories about Astons and Porsches but guess I'll just have to stay bitter.

Peace bro.

Quick Reply: Looks from people at driver and vette