C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inner wheel looks like a dookie sandwich!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 09:29 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,364 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
Johnny Bravo the Pimp ...

I had a set of silver OEM wheels. The back of the wheels were just painted too.

If you don't like black, maybe a light gray
After looking at the grunge that gets in the barrels on mine, I'd use a semi-gloss or matte, dark gray.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:39 PM
zipduda
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

painted mine flat black and looks great!
Old 02-22-2012, 09:52 PM
Dknight
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I have 1400 miles on my 2011 same thing but not as bad

Dave
Old 02-22-2012, 09:56 PM
RO55
Drifting

I use Daytona Speedmaster wheel brush evertime I wash my car. Easy to clean all around inside wheels with soap & water before brake dust takes it's toll. For $25-$39 it's cheap insurance and they last years!
Old 02-23-2012, 03:50 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by RO55
I use Daytona Speedmaster wheel brush evertime I wash my car. Easy to clean all around inside wheels with soap & water before brake dust takes it's toll. For $25-$39 it's cheap insurance and they last years!
For now, that is the best, without a doubt!

I Rejex'ed my Gumbies, my vette is strictly for fair weather and after each drive between wash, I put an old cotton sox over the Daytona, lightly sprayed the sox with detail spray and run it into the rear barrel to remove whatever dust accumulated there. Change to cleaned sox for each wheel, literally takes minutes for the process.

I hope I don't come across as a know all, all the photos on this thread shows wheels that have been neglected, they shown corrosion on base metal, after penetration through top coat. Pictured corrosions needs to be completely removed and resurfaced. If it is simply covered with paint, corrosion on base metal will continue and it will be more involved to restore down the line.

In addition, brake dust is extremely corrosive and red hot when it is shredded off the brake pads and lands on the wheel barrel, whether it is clear coated or whatever. The bottom line is, an ounce of prevention will prevent your wheel barrels turned into those that is pictured in this thread.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:02 AM
JKbride
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 11 Posts
W. GA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
After looking at the grunge that gets in the barrels on mine, I'd use a semi-gloss or matte, dark gray.
Do you guys have some close up pics of your painted barrels?
Old 02-24-2012, 09:26 AM
jack5hd
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default previous thread.....chrome wheels tho

[URL="http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2690904-diy-paint-removal-from-wheel-barrels-on-chrome-gumbys.html"
Old 02-24-2012, 12:25 PM
JKbride
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 11 Posts
W. GA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

Thanks Jack for the pic and link....looks lke painting the barrel's will look better than what I have now....even know now how to remove the paint if I don't like it

John
Old 02-24-2012, 03:02 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

For the "brake dust is corrosive" issue:

I'm not big on washing my Corvette, and don't wax it very often. Too busy driving it, we put on 15k-20k miles per year. I have never put any wax, Rejex, Zaino, etc on my wheels. They often go for several weeks or more between washings, and I only wipe off all the brake dust while washing, two or three times per year. I do use the stock GM pads, which are Z51 for the 2006 and 2009.

With that kind of neglect, our 2001 went 5 years/66k miles on the painted base wheels, no evidence of corrosion or other damage from brake dust. When we cleaned them up for the trade in, they had only the small nicks and sandblasting you would expect for that many miles. Even the areas when stone nicks had chipped away the paint, showed only the minimal corrosion you would expect from driving around chicago.

Our 2006 had the polished factory wheels for 3 years/44k miles, no evidence of corrosion or damage when sold.

Our 2009 had the chrome Gumbys for about the first 20k miles, no evidence of corrosion or damage when replaced by painted factory split-spokes. The split-spokes now have about 22k miles and are doing just fine.

I'm not saying that you can't experience corrosion from brake dust, but it certainly has not been an issue on our (neglected) wheels.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:06 PM
victorf
Drifting

Originally Posted by JKbride
Yes! I know of this problem and still have it! I purchased the car used and the inside of the wheels were dirty. Got it home with the expectation they would clean right up....no dice!

Like you, there appears to be something that has corroded on the inside that will not come off. I have never seen before this kind of problem...it's almost like epoxy or concrete...it will not budge!

I used everything from paint thinner to goof off. Even tried a wire wheel in a small area and only the clear coat came off and not the defect. In the end, I cleaned them the best I could, used a power ball and shined up what I could. Below are pics of the corrosion and how the wheels look today.

I'm surprised this is not a known defect with GM. I have seen lots of wheels which had not been cared for, but with a little elbow grease and polish they looked great....not the case with these wheels.

BTW, these are from a 2005 and are the Polished Aluminum Wheels

Pattern of damage clearly demonstrating an circumferential flung off from one source. That could have been brake dust or leaking brake fluid, through neglect, it penetrated through the clear coat.

The picture on the first post by the OP also shown permanent damages.

This things will happened, it will bite you if you let it go and live in denial. But you have no control if you bought it used especially if the previous owner was delusional - think he knows but .........!

Pictures don't lie!!!

Very simply, a person can denial all he likes and get rid of cars/wheels before the ugliness surfaces and thus claims this thing doesn't happens, because it never happened to him! Or, he owned it, therefore he knows!

Well......maybe I am just having a case of internet diarrhea?????
Old 02-24-2012, 06:54 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I painted mine.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:23 PM
johnnybravothepimp
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So I tried to use aircraft stripper to remove the clear, and then polish the wheels, but it just wasnt working out the way I had hoped!!

This is what I did to fix the problem:

Old 02-26-2012, 01:31 PM
johnnybravothepimp
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

By the way, these wheels were already ruined like this when I bought the car... I keep the car clean, waxed, and garaged.

This should hold me over till next year when I can buy new wheels!
Old 02-26-2012, 07:53 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by johnnybravothepimp
So I tried to use aircraft stripper to remove the clear, and then polish the wheels, but it just wasnt working out the way I had hoped!!
Some people have reported those wheels won't take a good polish no matter what you do. Others have reported good results.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:03 PM
SimpleC6
Racer

Hell yeah. Awesome new paint brother. Well done!
Old 02-26-2012, 08:11 PM
barneyz06
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i've seen this before on the mrs' jeep wheels. used royal purple and it cleaned it off, well mostly. it would have removed it all if i kept after it, but it's just a jeep liberty. careful with it though, it's not real friendly to plastic coatings. never had that pitting prob with our 06 z51 with polished and clear coated wheels. not a prob on our z06 as they are just painted wheels.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:24 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

you need to keep and use a Daytona Wheel Brush to clean the barrels weekly when you clean your wheels. Unfortunately without proper cleaning those contaminents from brakes and being so low (as well as the extreme heat) wheels can get harmed.

http://www.autogeek.net/ezdebrfca.html

Get notified of new replies

To Inner wheel looks like a dookie sandwich!!

Old 02-26-2012, 10:28 PM
victorf
Drifting

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek

you need to keep and use a Daytona Wheel Brush to clean the barrels weekly when you clean your wheels. Unfortunately without proper cleaning those contaminents from brakes and being so low (as well as the extreme heat) wheels can get harmed.

http://www.autogeek.net/ezdebrfca.html

It is the best tool and advice, without a doubt!!
Old 02-26-2012, 10:47 PM
victorf
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Some people have reported those wheels won't take a good polish no matter what you do. Others have reported good results.
That is true to some degree, Jim!

In general, you can polish the cast '05 five spokes to a great shine, when it stands alone.

But, when it is put next to, say, the forged '08-'09 polished Gumbies, being forged with denser molecules, the shine is near chrome, the '05 shine pales.

I have both. The set of '05 polish spoke is in storage.

It is the same as when you take an ordinary aluminum and T6 aluminum bar stock, turned then polished the od on a lathe, T6 comes out brilliant.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:22 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Inner wheel looks like a dookie sandwich!!