C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage Queen?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 09:19 AM
Jaxxx
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garage Queen?

I have often wondered why people buy "expensive" stuff just to park it in their garage, wash it, wax it, put more money into it and never enjoy operating it....

I've always wondered this... From Harleys to Corvettes, what is the "joy" in it? Is it just something to tell the "jones'" you have or is it something more?

I'm seriously curious...
Old 02-22-2012, 09:25 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

1) Because they can.
2) Because in many cases it is something that they've wanted, wished, hoped for, all their life and now that they finally have it, they want to keep it in pristine condition.
3) To some, it is more than just a car/bike/thing and that is their way of enjoying it.
4) Some are of the belief that by limiting miles and wear that it will somehow be worth more.

I'm somewhere in between. I try to keep my Corvette looking nice but I drive it where and when I want to or have to. I've used it as both a nice weather pleasure vehicle and a daily driver.

At the end of the day, it's their money and their "thing". If that's what they want to do with it, so be it.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:25 AM
ricknyc23
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I don't get it either. These cars do not and will not appreciate in price like the mid-years. Within 25 or so years, all the electronics would probably be shot....
Old 02-22-2012, 09:31 AM
Neil Baker
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Everyone should do what ever makes them happy! My '08 coupe has 38000 miles, I've enjoyed every mile and I keep it looking new.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:31 AM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

2006 with 10,000 miles. Weekend fun machine only.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:33 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by talon90
1) Because they can.
2) Because in many cases it is something that they've wanted, wished, hoped for, all their life and now that they finally have it, they want to keep it in pristine condition.
3) To some, it is more than just a car/bike/thing and that is their way of enjoying it.
4) Some are of the belief that by limiting miles and wear that it will somehow be worth more.

I'm somewhere in between. I try to keep my Corvette looking nice but I drive it where and when I want to or have to. I've used it as both a nice weather pleasure vehicle and a daily driver.
At the end of the day, it's their money and their "thing". If that's what they want to do with it, so be it.
well put . To each his own. I don't fault anyone or judge anyone for the way they use the car. In defense of "garage queens" I've seen plenty of vettes in the past driving, or sitting at a light , paint scratched to sht...brake dust caked all over the wheels, faded bra on the nose of the car etc... and I wonder the opposite...why would anyone let the car get into that shape...

Works both ways
Old 02-22-2012, 09:37 AM
Goatdad
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by talon90
1) Because they can.

Spot on.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:44 AM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's all about having more marshmallows.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deferred_gratification
Old 02-22-2012, 09:45 AM
txsugar08
Pro

I can't use it as a DD driver because I have a company vehicle. On the weekend I would have to choose to spend time with the wifey or my son, so I pick one of the vehicles with more seats. If the wifey and I go somewhere and the location is not in a better part or town or does not have valet parking we take the least expensive vehicle, the dodge charger. If she gets all dolled up we must take the Benz. She says my vette is to hard to get in and out of. That's hard to believe for someone who's just 5'1" 120 lbs. So that leaves very few opportunities to put it on the road.

Another reason, I spend all day in a vehicle patrolling the streets of Harris County so just jumping into a car for a leisurely drive is hard to do. I've found myself starting it up, pulling out of the garage just to put it into reverse because I'm in no mood to drive.

2007 11,600 miles.

Last edited by txsugar08; 02-22-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:50 AM
sguido2
Instructor

I'm one of those weekend warriors, mostly clean and covered in the garage. When you have 3 other cars, why take it to the grocery store? I enjoy it as much as others, just carefully. Although resale value does not concern me, I just sold a Shelby with 5000 miles (took 5 years) and did very well.. It's a hobby.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:53 AM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

I guess I do it because I don't want to have to see rock chips, door banging damage, or have some clown with no insurance rear end me on the highway. But, on the other hand, I could treat it like a fifteen year old piece of crap and loan it to someone to take to Walmarts so they can use it to shop for their Tampax and stool softener and let some worthless creep intentionally scrape it down the side with a shopping cart. I could also take it to my favorite sports bar and let some idiot stagger out of the place in a drunken stupor and sideswipe it as he pulls out of the place after he vomits all over my windshield. And I could loan it to the seventeen year old neighbor kid to take to his job- delivering pizza and using it to make quick deliveries while squeezing it in between two rusted pieces of crap in back of the place- unattended. And to be honest with you, I have seriously considered loaning my Corvette to my half blind sister for a week or two so she could pile her arts and crafty stuff in the back end and squeeze it in between the other women's cars at the ladies auxilliary meetings on the weekends. Yeah, you're right. Let's just treat that bad boy like your average piece of crap and let the chips fall where they may. Shall we?.....

Last edited by Jimmy W1; 02-22-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:56 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 311 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaxxx
I have often wondered why people buy "expensive" stuff just to park it in their garage, wash it, wax it, put more money into it and never enjoy operating it....

I've always wondered this... From Harleys to Corvettes, what is the "joy" in it? Is it just something to tell the "jones'" you have or is it something more?

I'm seriously curious...
Seriously why do people care what other people do with their own property???
Old 02-22-2012, 09:58 AM
ramon1367
Instructor

Default Garage Queen

Enjoy every mile from 18,530 to 28,605 after 3 years.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:01 AM
ptaylor_9849
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

J, JK but this is what I thought of when I read your response.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0
Old 02-22-2012, 10:07 AM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

I have often wondered what motivates anyone to start a post like this.........
Old 02-22-2012, 10:07 AM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've always treated my "toys" like a garage queen, with some variance of course. When I had my 97 Comp TA (1 of 47 built in 1997), I drove it to the Pontiac Nationals to show it, drove it to Atlanta for f body gatherings, etc..got caught in bad storms.. but detailed the crap out of it when i got home..LOL.

Now, with this vette, im 65, and retired from the Govt.. Proly the last performance car I can afford unless I win the lottery! So im treating it even more garage queenish than the others..... right at 11,500 miles now in 3 years 6 months. no rain. 1 trip. sunny days. its how I roll........... and detailing is my hobby. the car is my pride.... Have an 08 Yukon for hauling the dogs and 05 Focus for everyday driving..... on wit da show.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:10 AM
turbod
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sguido2
I'm one of those weekend warriors, mostly clean and covered in the garage. When you have 3 other cars, why take it to the grocery store? I enjoy it as much as others, just carefully. Although resale value does not concern me, I just sold a Shelby with 5000 miles (took 5 years) and did very well.. It's a hobby.
9000 miles on my 2010 GS, mostly on week end trips. Thoroughly enjoyed. 2011 Ford Edge is my daily runner and dog hauler.

Basically, my GS is my week end "toy". Wifes week end toy is a 2009 BMW Z4 with 6000 miles. Gotta' love those garage queen toys!

Last edited by turbod; 02-22-2012 at 10:13 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Garage Queen?

Old 02-22-2012, 10:12 AM
sguido2
Instructor

Originally Posted by mksz51
I have often wondered what motivates anyone to start a post like this.........
Boredom?

By the way, What is with these people that use these cars as daily drivers?
Old 02-22-2012, 10:20 AM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by txsugar08
She says my vette is to hard to get in and out of. That's hard to believe for someone who's just 5'1" 120 lbs.
So, I take it she's never been in a C4..

Originally Posted by sguido2
Boredom?

By the way, What is with these people that use these cars as daily drivers?
I DD mine when the weather is really nice, about 5 months a year doing about 170 miles a day to/from work. I can assure you that when these cars were designed and built, the intention was for many happy miles without much concern. For the price these cars are cheap and have a very good power train. Would you not DD an E-Class or similar?
Old 02-22-2012, 10:27 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaxxx

I'm seriously curious...
My step father often asks me why I have a garage full of expensive cars. I reply with "What's the difference if you die with all your money in the bank, and I die with some of my money in the bank and some of it in my garage?"

He likes to look at his bank statement once a month, I like to look at my cars everyday, and drive them when I want to.

Quick Reply: Garage Queen?