C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Bluetooth radio swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 08:08 AM
billnet2
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C6 Bluetooth radio swap

Will a 2009+ radio w/ NAV swap into my 2008 w/NAV (non-bluetooth) radio?
Old 02-16-2012, 08:49 AM
TJay74
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 216 Posts

The Bluetooth feature is not in the radio, it is built into the Onstar module.

So you are gaining nothing by doing the swap other than a newer NAV unit with newer maps, but then you are going to have to visit the dealer to get the new NAV VIN locked to your car.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:56 AM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by TJay74
The Bluetooth feature is not in the radio, it is built into the Onstar module.

So you are gaining nothing by doing the swap other than a newer NAV unit with newer maps, but then you are going to have to visit the dealer to get the new NAV VIN locked to your car.
I had my OnStar module upgraded by the dealer from analog to digital in order to subscribe to OnStar, do you think the new module came with Bluetooth? The upgrade was done about 6 months ago, thanks!
Old 02-16-2012, 09:00 AM
billnet2
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was under the impression that bluetooth/onstar was for service through Onstar, whereas the newer radios had Bluetooth for non-Onstar (personal) cellphones? Am I mistaken?
Old 02-16-2012, 09:41 AM
TJay74
Safety Car

Yes, while Onstar is used for their services the BlueTooth module is built into the Onstar module. You do not have to use Onstar in order to be able to use the BT function GM is putting into the vehicles.

The only way to tell if you have BT on your Onstar module is to look at the module and see if the little dongle for the BT antenna is there. Even then you will have to find a way to get the buttons on the steering wheel which I would assume would require a new steering wheel and the clockspring assembly.

Do a search on the web for Chris White. He was a programmer for GM and went on his own. He has cracked all of GM coding and would me able to tell you what has to be done to get BT to work in a non-BT vehicle.

He is also a C6 Z06 owner as well. He took his Z06 and added the Launch Control to it by reflashing the calibration from the new Z06 ECM into his and made it work.

The guy knows his stuff and can assist you along the way.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:49 AM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by TJay74
Yes, while Onstar is used for their services the BlueTooth module is built into the Onstar module. You do not have to use Onstar in order to be able to use the BT function GM is putting into the vehicles.

The only way to tell if you have BT on your Onstar module is to look at the module and see if the little dongle for the BT antenna is there. Even then you will have to find a way to get the buttons on the steering wheel which I would assume would require a new steering wheel and the clockspring assembly.

Do a search on the web for Chris White. He was a programmer for GM and went on his own. He has cracked all of GM coding and would me able to tell you what has to be done to get BT to work in a non-BT vehicle.

He is also a C6 Z06 owner as well. He took his Z06 and added the Launch Control to it by reflashing the calibration from the new Z06 ECM into his and made it work.

The guy knows his stuff and can assist you along the way.
Ah, forgot about the steering wheel, I don't have buttons on mine and it would probably be too much trouble for me to change the wheel and wire the Bluetooth up, my C6 is the first year and I will be buying newer eventually. I have used the OnStar telephone service and it seems to work well and if all else fails, I have a Bluetooth earpiece pared to my phone. Thanks for your help....
Old 02-16-2012, 10:05 AM
TJay74
Safety Car

Rob your other option is the Costar BT box. It replaces the Onstar box and gives the function of BT. Uses the buttons on the Onstar mirror to allow you to place and recieve calls thru the stock Onstar system.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Bluetooth radio swap

Quick Reply: C6 Bluetooth radio swap