C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance Cost

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 04:52 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by realcanuk
I dont know about being "dumb" but im willing to bet there are plenty of vette owners that have modded the car and not reported the mods. Simple things like suspension or brake mods can be a problem.
It's a pretty simple process. If you don't add mods to your policy don't expect to be covered beyond stock vehicle parts.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:03 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by saplumr
It's a pretty simple process. If you don't add mods to your policy don't expect to be covered beyond stock vehicle parts.
Its not that simple. If you add performance mods, example supercharger, and don't tell your insurance, they can refuse the claim totally.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:08 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Its not that simple. If you add performance mods, example supercharger, and don't tell your insurance, they can refuse the claim totally.
How did you come to that conclusion?
Old 02-15-2012, 05:15 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

How did you come to that conclusion?
I actually confirmed this by asking my broker, after a friend was refused a claim. You should check with your broker, but there are many related articles about it, and stories of refused claims.

http://www.custom-car.us/insurance.aspx
Old 02-15-2012, 05:20 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I actually confirmed this by asking my broker, after a friend was refused a claim. You should check with your broker, but there are many related articles about it, and stories of refused claims.

http://www.custom-car.us/insurance.aspx
I carry a commercial policy along with my personal line. Me and my carriers have no secrets and it's been that way for 32 years. I still say if you don't have a good communication line with your carrier you get what you get or what you deserve. All insurance companies are not the same or equal.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:25 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

I carry a commercial policy along with my personal line. Me and my carriers have no secrets and it's been that way for 32 years. I still say if you don't have a good communication line with your carrier you get what you get or what you deserve. All insurance companies are not the same or equal.
Buddy, I am not arguing with you. I am only sharing information. The simple fact is that if someone has an accident (and has unreported mods), and the appraiser is sharp enough to notice, chances are quite good the claim could be refused. Is that worth the chance? Only you can decide.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:46 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Buddy, I am not arguing with you. I am only sharing information. The simple fact is that if someone has an accident (and has unreported mods), and the appraiser is sharp enough to notice, chances are quite good the claim could be refused. Is that worth the chance? Only you can decide.
Well it's certainly not worth it to me and this can be debated from now on but I'll give you 2 examples of the flaw in this theory. You run a red light and t-bone a car. Your carrier says no coverage due to aftemarket parts. At that point not only will the carrier cover all damages but also cover attorney and court costs. The next example happend to us. My daughter had a show car valued at $80K. On the national level you don't win the following year with the same car. We take it to a mod shop in PA 550miles from us. They have the car for 9 months and completely strip and destroy the car. (No need to get into specifics) After 4 years we put the guy in jail for a total of 3 months. Moral is if you want to be a criminal PA is the place to be...crooks run free. Anyway, our carrier says no coverage due to the fact we willingly took the car to them. Long story short within 1 week of attorney envolvement car paid in full plus attorney fees. Insurance Co's are in business to make money but a lot of the time they don't have the final say.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:07 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

QUOTE=saplumr;1580020749]Your insurance co has to pay what your car is worth. Just because KBB or NADA doesn't have values beyond 1990 shouldn't affect what it's worth. A 23 year old car may not be worth covering depending of course what your ins co states the actual value of the vehicle is. If it worth 3-4K it's still worth insuring. Everyone should know what the value of all there vehicles are.[/QUOTE]

They only go by blue book as I brought in ads for what my car was selling for which they didn't consider and this went to the supervisor in claims. got refused a few time.
So simple thing to do was drop all existing coverage and have what is minimal by law.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:23 PM
MTsVette
Drifting

Location: O'Fallon Illinois - Currently own a 2016 Z06 1LZ A8 Coupe
Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Patal
I've seen CF queries from time to time re the cost to insure a Vette. The latest NYTimes auto section carried a column referencing the 2012 analysis done at Insure.com. These are nationwide averages. The 20 cheapest cars to insure run from $1100 to $1170. Most expensive 20 from $2430 to $3380.

Base Vettes $1677-1718 Verts less than coupes
GS $1750 - $1800
Z06 $2000
ZR1 $2322
My insurance coverage on my 2006 AW A6 3LT coupe is only $728 a year

Just sayin...I hope that's good...

MT
Old 02-16-2012, 04:01 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE]They only go by blue book as I brought in ads for what my car was selling for which they didn't consider and this went to the supervisor in claims. got refused a few time.
So simple thing to do was drop all existing coverage and have what is minimal by law.[QUOTE]

The dealers use the Black Book and it is very closely guarded. I'm surprised your carrier doesn't use the same but of course they must go by retail values. The negative side of going with minimum liability required by law is you can put yourself in a compromising situation and lose everything you own. Quite a risk. BTW...I can't get the quote thingy to work right at all.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:16 PM
JockamoIPA
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

I would highly recommend calling Adam Boca at NCM Insurance - yes that's thru the museum. Just google it.

$422/yr for 100/300/100 all bells and whistles and $250 deductible in southeast Louisiana!!! That's incredible trust me.

Caveats:
1. Car is garaged
2. 4000 miles annual limit
3. 9-5 option allows additional miles to drive to work twice a week throughout the year.

Couldn't be happier!

Thanks Adam and NCM Insurance.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:17 PM
lh4x4
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just changed from Grundy now that they have been taken over by Phly last October and have ran between totally incompetent to criminally negligent. Went to NCM insurance. Two C6's full coverage $381/yr!!!!!!!!!

Tried starting in Oct 2011 with Phly to change the agreed value on the Vettes to make the Jan 1 renewal date. Dozens of e-mails and phone calls and to this date they never sent me a new policy with the insurance cards with multiple promises to do so. No matter what rep that I talked with ever did what they said they would do. I was told things like the person that did that was on vacation, they were swamped and in chaos ( first honest answer from a rep), they could not find my file so call back latter ( it is on a computer in front of them), they did not have my e-mail address ( they had it for the previous 6 years) and it would take 6 to 8 weeks to do what I wanted even though it was during the ninth week that I was trying to complete the change. I fired them at the end of January and have not heard from them. I plan to fight hard to get my refund.

Phly has managed to destroy what had been the premier collector car insurance company.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:21 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Just changed from Grundy now that they have been taken over by Phly last October and have ran between totally incompetent to criminally negligent. Went to NCM insurance. Two C6's full coverage $381/yr!!!!!!!!!

Tried starting in Oct 2011 with Phly to change the agreed value on the Vettes to make the Jan 1 renewal date. Dozens of e-mails and phone calls and to this date they never sent me a new policy with the insurance cards with multiple promises to do so. No matter what rep that I talked with ever did what they said they would do. I was told things like the person that did that was on vacation, they were swamped and in chaos ( first honest answer from a rep), they could not find my file so call back latter ( it is on a computer in front of them), they did not have my e-mail address ( they had it for the previous 6 years) and it would take 6 to 8 weeks to do what I wanted even though it was during the ninth week that I was trying to complete the change. I fired them at the end of January and have not heard from them. I plan to fight hard to get my refund.

Phly has managed to destroy what had been the premier collector car insurance company.
I guess I'll find out how it goes when mine renews in May.

Quick Reply: Insurance Cost