C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Lust

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 03:53 PM
jagvet
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Lust

Hello, I am new to this list and have been a car guy all my life, but have only owned one corvette (1969) which would be worth a LOT more today than years ago when I sold it.
I seem to have developed an unnatural desire to buy a C6, but have absolutely no experience or familiarity with C6's, so I have lots of newbie questions.
My uneducated preference at this time is the 6 speed manual, but have some concerns. First, I live in the SFV (LA) area and traffic is a biitch. Secondly, for the sake of discussion, let us assume that most C6's have been driven enthusiastically. What is the point of owning a hi performance car if one doesn't put ones foot in it now and then? It would seem logical that manual transmission cars may have been driven more enthusiastically than the automatics. I am quite concerned about buying some PO's problems. What is the life expectancy of the C6's clutch and how costly is it to have it replaced if/when needed? How bullet proof are the automatics?
What it the most common drive train failure in the C6's, both manual and automatic?
In that same vein, what are the most common failures of any kind on the C6's?
Your comments and suggestions will be most appreciated. Thanks
Larry
Old 02-12-2012, 05:10 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by jagvet
Hello, I am new to this list and have been a car guy all my life, but have only owned one corvette (1969) which would be worth a LOT more today than years ago when I sold it.
I seem to have developed an unnatural desire to buy a C6, but have absolutely no experience or familiarity with C6's, so I have lots of newbie questions.
My uneducated preference at this time is the 6 speed manual, but have some concerns. First, I live in the SFV (LA) area and traffic is a biitch. Secondly, for the sake of discussion, let us assume that most C6's have been driven enthusiastically. What is the point of owning a hi performance car if one doesn't put ones foot in it now and then? It would seem logical that manual transmission cars may have been driven more enthusiastically than the automatics. I am quite concerned about buying some PO's problems. What is the life expectancy of the C6's clutch and how costly is it to have it replaced if/when needed? How bullet proof are the automatics?
What it the most common drive train failure in the C6's, both manual and automatic?
In that same vein, what are the most common failures of any kind on the C6's?
Your comments and suggestions will be most appreciated. Thanks
Larry
Having lived in CA and driven in LA, I can tell you that if my C6 was going to be a DD, then auto all the way. If it's not a DD then whatever is your preference but southern CA traffic is murder and you might just regret getting the manual. As to the other questions, others will hopefully drop by and answer them for you. But I am not sure there are any real problems with un-modified cars, at least no consistent problems I can think off off the top of my head. Okay, maybe tires. (Wearing them out by driving so much)
Old 02-12-2012, 06:03 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,457 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Jagvet,

There are a lot of low mile C6s out there, so find one of those and worry not about life of clutch etc. Just get a clean, garage queen, low mile C6 and then drive it. They are pretty robust cars - especially for sports cars.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,503 Likes on 819 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

these cars are very durable DDs, there is a thread alive these days talking about how many are over 110k and there a lot of folks...
Old 02-12-2012, 07:55 PM
Ron in MO
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

It's understandable that you have the bug for a C6. They are great cars, even as daily drivers. My suggestion is to get an LS3 engine (2008 and later) with the lowest mileage at a price you can afford. Then have fun personalizing it and making it represent your tastes. You will love getting into it every chance you get!

WARNING! The price you pay for the car is only the begining. Your customization will never be done.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:09 PM
mlsins
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought an 06 convertible with 9,500 miles. The car is like brand new. They are out there if you spend a little time looking. Good luck !!!!
Old 02-12-2012, 08:22 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Also recommend you use the Chevrolet website, Edmunds.com, etc. to become familiar with the various option
packages & configurations. That will help you in scoping-out which features are more/less important to you...
Old 02-12-2012, 08:31 PM
Ron in MO
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Like "mlsins" says, look around there are some great low mileage C6s around. I found a 2008 C6 coupe back in November with only 3,000 miles on it, so it was like brand new but much cheaper!
Old 02-12-2012, 08:59 PM
gilhuly
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

you are in for a treat, the C6 is a great car. good luck with whatever you decide and keep us up to speed....
Old 02-12-2012, 09:27 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I bet 90%++ of your driving will be in traffic. And a lot of heavy traffic.

Get the automatic! It has paddle shifters, so you can select & hold gears... 09 and newer automatic-C6's even blip the throttle for smooth downshifts.

The auto in my C6 is by far the best I've ever had. And it's very popular... 69% of C6 coupes/verts have it.

Problem area: Some reports of damaged auto-shifters. Long-story-short, I think most of this is caused by someone mistakenly forcing the shifter.

And sometimes the auto trans seems to misbehave:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...blem-help.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...esitation.html

On the other hand... I'd expect the manual trans is more fun & more involving.

Used-Car Tip: Dirty clutch fluid can cause a sticky clutch pedal and shifting issues. An unknowledgable owner might think there's an expensive problem. DIY fix with new fluid & flush: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBbsy0LjUvE

An unknowledgable owner might also be inexperienced... an expensive learning curve of botched shifts, excessive clutch slippage, high-power experimenting, power shifting, etc.

The-Usual-Advice:
-- Get the newest C6 you can afford.
-- Like any used car, do your due diligence (inspection, history, etc etc)

Enjoy your search!
Old 02-13-2012, 06:58 AM
Gerdia
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As stated, get the newest-lowest mileage you can afford. Many garage queens out there that have not been beat. But please, get very familiar with all of the options in the model year you are looking at. Don't trust Chevy's "certified" used car to be a cover all. Previous owners may have modified then removed those mods when trading in, make sure your future car has all that is supposed to have, xm radio, correct trim, rims, etc...
Good luck and welcome to the best forum for vettes.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:56 AM
willie2323
Instructor

Hi Larry,
Man can I relate. I come from a 65 L-79 vette a while ago. I got the bug and like you went looking for a gently used GS. I got lucky over your way (Corvette Mike) and just took delivery here in Phoenix. It is a M6 with only 3K miles and I love it. I went with a highly optioned one (3LT with Nav) which is personal preference. I would not hesitate to jump at a low mileage C6 as has been stated above. Your near the end of the C6 run which to my way of thinking is a good thing.
Good luck on your search.
Cheers,
Bill in Phx
Old 02-13-2012, 09:08 AM
surburban99
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

It's not just a high performance sports car, it's and overall GREAT car!

Mine has become my daily driver..........

Life is too short, get one and you will never be the same

Old 02-13-2012, 11:54 AM
ohmy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

do yourself a favor and stay away from dealerships, shop in the "for sale by owner" section and take your time, you will be able to find a pampered garage queen in no time. Corvette owners are synonymous with "overprotective parents", sometimes a used vette in a loving home will be even better than a new one off the lot... good luck!
Old 02-13-2012, 12:02 PM
C3 Vette Fan
Pro

Originally Posted by ohmy
do yourself a favor and stay away from dealerships, shop in the "for sale by owner" section and take your time, you will be able to find a pampered garage queen in no time. Corvette owners are synonymous with "overprotective parents", sometimes a used vette in a loving home will be even better than a new one off the lot... good luck!
I have used manuals in a high traffic city, and believe me it is a hassle when you have to do it day after day. Just makes the commute that much more nerve racking.

The auto is a outstanding option offered on the later model C6. No knock on the manual as that is a lot of fun also. But, heavy traffic forget about it.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:24 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For a daily driver in the LA area, I'd go for an automatic. Mine is a manual (no auto in Z06) but not a D.D. I'm with you on your preference of a manual trans too; nothing like like it. I had an auto in my C5 and manual in my C6 vert prior to the Z06.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:41 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't want a manual in traffic. Auto is faster anyway. That said, both my C6 and Z have been manual. I think manual is more fun.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Lust

Old 02-13-2012, 02:05 PM
BT ZR1
2009 ZR1 SN 1166
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

After visiting LA , I would not want a manual under any circumstances.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:43 PM
DonOH
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I got the bug last November. Bought a 2009 coupe with a 6 speed. First stick in 30 years and I love it.

I go to LA a lot on business and I'd get an automatic there given the traffic. Even if a weekend car, getting through that traffic to open road might be real chore. If an auto, you'll enjoy using it more often.

Go for it.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:51 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jagvet
What it the most common drive train failure in the C6's, both manual and automatic? Thanks
Larry
Drive train is solid. Problems if any tend to be electrical.

Quick Reply: C6 Lust