C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clay bar.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 08:31 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Which is the mildest clay bar available in most automotive stores?
Old 02-11-2012, 08:52 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Garibaldi
No problem with your explanation. I was referring to different levels of claybar. I've gotten medium claybars from a body shop friend.
you are correct indeed ... We offer Pinnacles Ultra Clay (light), Claymajic and most others are (medium - normal), and Megs offers a burgundy (abrasive).
Old 02-11-2012, 10:30 PM
TTZ06VETTE
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

I just bought the pinnacle ultra clay and pinnacle sovereign from auto geek. It killed me spending $85 on the wax but in all the years of doing my cars with Zaino, Rejex, Cilajet, etc. the car has never came out as good as it looks now with a combination of clay bar, mild polish to remove light swirls, and the pinnacle sovereign. The shine with the carnauba is unbelievable. Probably won't last early as long in the hot sun as the others, but it looks amazing.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:47 PM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Yep. It'll probably take a chisel to get all of the NuFinish and Turtle Wax off of it first. When I first got it last fall, I must've waxed it 5 or 6 times. I just couldn't resist getting out there at night and playing kissy face huggy bear with it. .....So, when it warms up a little, I'll get started on all of this. Thanks again.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:56 AM
Sickem Dawgs
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RicK T
Anytime you have detailing questions a really good source of info is autogeek.net.

http://www.autogeek.net/detailing-clay-bar.html
:I agree:
Old 02-12-2012, 08:26 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
Remember Silly Putty? It feels like that.
Almost exactly like Silly Putty but it is NOT Silly Putty unfortunately.
Originally Posted by scootertrash19
Clay bar wont remove swirls/scratches, you will need to do some polishing.
And then don't do whatever it is that you did to put the scratches in there in the first place. Start with never touching the car when drying after a wash. Get a leaf blower if you haven't already.
Originally Posted by Thrash
Best tip I have is to use Dawn as the lube for the clay. ...
I tried that once when I was running out of the lub that comes with the clay bar. I mixed a spray bottle with Dawn and water. I'm not sure if I used too much water or too much Dawn but the clay fell apart before I finished. It stopped being sticky. I need to try that again because Dawn is a lot less expensive than detail spray. I run out of spray long before I use up all the clay because I use the clay in small ***** rather than the whole bar at once risking dropping it and having to throw away the entire bar. A small ball flattened sticks to your fingers and is almost impossible to drop. I flatten it on the windshield and throw it way when it starts to look at all gray.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:36 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Lots of good advice up there. If you haven't done it, it really seems scary and an unnatural thing to do. I just took a deep breath and did it. It really does work and is part of what I do to keep my car looking good!
Old 02-12-2012, 09:29 AM
Joz132
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I would avoid using Dawn on your vehicle as it will dry out the rubber & plastic over time.

The best, and most economical, clay lube is ONR (optimum no rinse) available through Autogeek. The dilution ratio makes this product last forever.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:16 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 567 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by scootertrash19
Quote from Adam's Premium Car Care Products, only stuff I use. Clay Bar & detail spray, Eliminate surface roughness. "To determine if you need clay: put your fingers in a plastic sandwich bag & gently rub fingers over the surface. Rough? Clay it! Smooth? Skip it!

H. Discard clay if dropped onto dirty ground."
I disagree...ALL ground is "dirty", unless you are in the OR. NEVER chance reusing a dropped piece of clay, NEVER.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:05 PM
VetteCop29
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimmie jam
I disagree...ALL ground is "dirty", unless you are in the OR. NEVER chance reusing a dropped piece of clay, NEVER.
Unless I missed something, its says "discard"....to throw away, to get rid of, to not use again. I think you, like all of us, read the adjective "dirty" in a voice and jumped up to save a car from imminent harm.

Good job.

Lmao
Old 02-12-2012, 01:13 PM
carnut08
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Parked my car outside overnight in dusty Tucson. A llight drizzle left tons of small waterspots all over it the next morning.

Will using clay remove this?
Old 02-12-2012, 01:15 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 567 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by memphiscop
Unless I missed something, its says "discard"....to throw away, to get rid of, to not use again. I think you, like all of us, read the adjective "dirty" in a voice and jumped up to save a car from imminent harm.

Good job.

Lmao
Yea, that statement "implies" that it's only necessary to discard "if" dropped on dirty ground....some guys don't understand what the meaning of "dirty" ground is when it comes to clay. Some might think that it's akin to the proposition of political correctness that it's entirely possible to pick up a "turd" by the "clean" end.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:22 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmie jam
I'd even closely inspect it if dropped in an OR. That's why you don't just pull a bar out of the package and start rubbing. You use only a small piece at a time and it is almost impossible to drop. A quarter sized ball flattened into a 3 finger sized disk will stick to your fingers such that you can turn your hand upside down and shake it and it will still grip your hand. I never worry about dropping but if I somehow did I would throw it away immediately. There is little difference between dropped clay and course sandpaper.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:23 AM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by carnut08
Parked my car outside overnight in dusty Tucson. A llight drizzle left tons of small waterspots all over it the next morning.

Will using clay remove this?
If you are referring to the small rings left in the paint from drying water spots, the answer is no. Those are caused by the sun burning the rings in the paint where the edge of the water rings make contact with the paint surface. You will have to use a light (non-abrasive) polish to remove them. Clay-bar only removes surface contaminants. I use Mother's Clay and Showtime for lube. No need to wash after the clay (or anything else) but Mother's suggests you follow it with carnauba wax. The paint will pop!
Old 02-13-2012, 03:15 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedforhire
If you are referring to the small rings left in the paint from drying water spots, the answer is no. Those are caused by the sun burning the rings in the paint where the edge of the water rings make contact with the paint surface.
Water spots have little or nothing to do with sun. Water spots occur when hard water dries/evaporates on the clear and can be etched into the clear if bad enough. This can happen in your garage, outside overnight or in sunlight.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:21 PM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
Water spots have little or nothing to do with sun. Water spots occur when hard water dries/evaporates on the clear and can be etched into the clear if bad enough. This can happen in your garage, outside overnight or in sunlight.
Wrong...............unsubscribed!
Old 02-13-2012, 04:20 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Speedforhire
Wrong...............unsubscribed!
Your lack of intelligence is showing.

Get notified of new replies

To Clay bar.....

Old 02-13-2012, 04:25 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,057 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by saplumr
A Florida condo we've stayed at for 4 years has an automatic sprinkler system, sometimes it gets out of schedule and our car ends up getting "watered" during the night.

From multiple experiences, I can say that the spots come off easily if I wash the car before the bright sun hits it- early in the morning or later on a cloudy day. But if I don't wash it until about noon on a sunny day, then getting rid of the spots is a real pain. Time + sun is much worse than time alone.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:38 PM
carnut08
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
A Florida condo we've stayed at for 4 years has an automatic sprinkler system, sometimes it gets out of schedule and our car ends up getting "watered" during the night.

From multiple experiences, I can say that the spots come off easily if I wash the car before the bright sun hits it- early in the morning or later on a cloudy day. But if I don't wash it until about noon on a sunny day, then getting rid of the spots is a real pain. Time + sun is much worse than time alone.
I've seen a ton of comments about what causes the water spots, but I already know what happened.

My question is whether claying the car will remove them.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:52 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim

Needless to say the longer the spots stay on the clear the more damage will be done.

http://www.inmygarage.com/?p=3903

Quick Reply: Clay bar.....