C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best method of preventing wheel theft?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 01:45 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
Are you suggesting 20 of these?

I actually thought about it. I'd be afraid of locking myself out when I needed to take em off.
I think they are the ones, I just read on another forum about smooth ones with spinning collars, time consuming for thieves.

As for you other question, again, on that same forum
some guy bought 4 sets of Gorilla locks and they all had the same key!
Old 02-09-2012, 04:06 AM
Uncle Meat
Le Mans Master

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

I've found that installing a set of these solves the problem every time.

U.M.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:50 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
Are you suggesting 20 of these?

I actually thought about it. I'd be afraid of locking myself out when I needed to take em off.
I remember having those back in the seventies protecting them mega expensive Keystones and they would be a bitch to remove.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:57 AM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I have five McGuard lug nut's per wheel. Two different keys for each wheel. They will still steal them but the bad guys will be slowed down a little.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:26 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Racer
What about those ones with smooth spinning collars, put 20 of them on and thieves might just move on to another, more easier target.
I'm through with one brand that keeps breaking the locking portion, McGard. (keep having to buy new keys) I think the 20 set is the way to go if you're concerned. At the least it will slow them down. The big issue, from experience, is not to stow the key in the car. Then, that becomes a real pain since you have to remember to bring it with you. Nothing worse than seeing your car in the morning on the ground, all four wheels (and tires!) gone.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:37 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Before investing in an expensive set of wheel locks you might want to ask your favorite tire shop how they remove locks when people lose the keys. I've watched my shop do it and it takes just a few seconds. There are different methods for different types of locks but none of them are difficult if you don't mind damaging the lock which a thief probably wouldn't.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:53 AM
Hairbag
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This works for me.
Name:  cid_10716131503122009-1C74-1.jpg
Views: 2011
Size:  51.7 KB
Old 02-09-2012, 08:42 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

I went with the McGard wheel locks. 20 piece set. 5 per wheel. Like some said it may slow them down but if they really want 'em they are going to get 'em. Makes me feel better than no locks at all.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:05 PM
spiker65
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OCT 2015 Katy TX Hilton Garden Inn Wheels stolen

We checked in on Friday night, OCT9 at about 9:30pm. When we came down for breakfast, the front desk people were asking everyone if they owned a Corvette. I did and they said, it is up on blocks with no wheels. Sorry.
Pitiful excuse for security. They did not call the police until I directed them to. They had no idea when the last time their private security drive by was last around. Their overnight desk person never heard the alarm go off (but other guests DID). They have no external cameras. They told the police that this was a common happening at this and other hotels that they owned in the same area but made NO effort to make any extra warnings to anyone. They then pointed at the "parking for hotel guests only, users assume all risks" signs and said too bad. I told them to expect a complete skewering online. Their new director of sales, Kim Remlinger came by later as I was calling my insurance company to express sympathy and to say “let me know if you need anything” Yeah, my wheels and security cameras. There were 75 other people down from Austin for a Karate tournament and you can bet NONE of us will be staying at this place next year.

Good ending: Next door was a Discount Tire and they spent a lot of time trying to find wheels and tires that at least would get me back to Austin. A set of RUFF's was couriered over along with Continental tires but alas, the offset was not quite right. While they went back to work trying to find a solution, a C7 pulled up to DT and I spoke with the owner who was coming to get a quote on new tires for his car as he was replacing the wheels and tires next week. He took his car back to his shop, put it on a lift and had his wife bring him and the wheels/tires back and I bought them on the spot. He's president of a steel fabrication shop in Houston and saved my bacon.

I now have one set of locking lugs but I may go ahead and get several more sets and have 5 different flavors on each wheel.

My Dealer checked over the car and did not find so much as a scratch. It was balanced on the nose and two blocks on either side. Courteous theives....
Old 10-15-2015, 02:26 PM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
Curious as to when and where you people are parking your vehicles that the wheels get stolen?
Overnight at hotels with ground parking.

I was in a NTB that is next door to a Marriott and they said they get 3-5 cars a quarter that have their wheels stolen from hotel overnights.

Before the anyone throws out "ghetto" references this is in an outer suburb, not an inner city.

FWIW, wheel locks will only serve as a deterrent to honest people. Takes about 30 seconds to remove any wheel lock with a socket and a 5lb hammer. Do I have them on my vettes? Yes, because while they offer zero protection against a determined thief having to hammer the locks off it just may be enough of an inconvenience that the the thief moves on to the next car that doesn't have locks.

BTW, if you are going to have wheel locks don't store the wheel lock key in the obvious location (center console, glove compartment, rear storage, etc) as the thief knows that too and often will not hesitate to smash a window first to see if the car has an alarm and if the wheel key is readily available.

Finally, alarms are useless noise makers (other than those that have a true ignition cut-out) ,plan and simple, and are basically ignored by everyone.

Last edited by RC4G; 10-15-2015 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:28 PM
GSDriver
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc V.
It's faster and easier to just take the whole car.
Yup, they will take the car and strip it later. Wheel locks will slow them down, but they can be defeated if they know what they are doing. They are a deterrent mostly.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:32 PM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by spiker65
We checked in on Friday night, OCT9 at about 9:30pm. When we came down for breakfast, the front desk people were asking everyone if they owned a Corvette. I did and they said, it is up on blocks with no wheels. Sorry.
Pitiful excuse for security. They did not call the police until I directed them to. They had no idea when the last time their private security drive by was last around. Their overnight desk person never heard the alarm go off (but other guests DID). They have no external cameras. They told the police that this was a common happening at this and other hotels that they owned in the same area but made NO effort to make any extra warnings to anyone. They then pointed at the "parking for hotel guests only, users assume all risks" signs and said too bad. I told them to expect a complete skewering online. Their new director of sales, Kim Remlinger came by later as I was calling my insurance company to express sympathy and to say “let me know if you need anything” Yeah, my wheels and security cameras. There were 75 other people down from Austin for a Karate tournament and you can bet NONE of us will be staying at this place next year.

Good ending: Next door was a Discount Tire and they spent a lot of time trying to find wheels and tires that at least would get me back to Austin. A set of RUFF's was couriered over along with Continental tires but alas, the offset was not quite right. While they went back to work trying to find a solution, a C7 pulled up to DT and I spoke with the owner who was coming to get a quote on new tires for his car as he was replacing the wheels and tires next week. He took his car back to his shop, put it on a lift and had his wife bring him and the wheels/tires back and I bought them on the spot. He's president of a steel fabrication shop in Houston and saved my bacon.

I now have one set of locking lugs but I may go ahead and get several more sets and have 5 different flavors on each wheel.

My Dealer checked over the car and did not find so much as a scratch. It was balanced on the nose and two blocks on either side. Courteous theives....
I understand your pain but the reality is that NO hotels maintain security cameras in their parking lots because they don't want the legal liability associated with having cameras in place. I don't care if the hotel is $100/night or $500/night as this is not a hotel "quality" issue.

The reality is even if they had cameras they resulting footage would be useless. All you would have ended up with is low-resolution footage of multiple thieves with hoodies/caps coverting their faces and a vehicle with stolen license plates on it (if the whole vehicle was not stolen). Security cameras are useless unless they are monitored by onsite security personnel who are willing to engage potential thieves who are most likely armed and have very little respect for life or property. Add to the fact what minimum $12/hour security guard is going to risk his life protecting your property when it is insured?

Last edited by RC4G; 10-15-2015 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:41 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by NFAstampcollector
Are people still stealing wheels? I figured they just stole the whole vehicle.
Down here wheels and tires is what the thefts are after. Hundreds are stole every year.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:43 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by spiker65

I feel your pain, and glad things turned out ok...but why didn't you start a new thread instead of reviving a 3 year old thread instead.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:09 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 983 Likes on 711 Posts

If they steal mine I hope they at least use "PUCKS' when they jack it
NSF
Old 10-16-2015, 08:52 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I suppose the wheel locks is the way to go with expensive aftermarket rims.

My C6 is either in the garage or never really out of my sight for very long when in use.

I do not go to ghetto places and if I need to be in a questionable area out of the car for any period I take another car.

Stock rims I would not worry about it if the car is a DD and you take it everywhere.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:02 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

If they want your wheels they will take them now matter what. I use a wheel lock on each wheel. But all you need are vise grip pliers to take them off.

Quick Reply: Best method of preventing wheel theft?