C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody experience problems with garage door opener?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 12:28 PM
andyville99
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody experience problems with garage door opener?

I've had my new 2011 Grand Sport 4LT for about 3 months and the integrated garage door opener has never worked. Hasn't been an extremely high priority item but I would like to sort it out.

None of the little red lights come on when pushing any of the three buttons. Has anybody else experienced this? Hoping there might be an easy fix, like a fuse, etc.

I bought it three hours away from where I live so taking it back to the orig dealer isn't an option, and I just want to explore if it's fixable on my own before I have to take the time to take it in to the dealer...

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2012, 02:26 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,052 Likes on 825 Posts

I found the procedure for progrmming my '06 C6 remote quite tricky compared with my C5 . Failed several times before finally getting it to work. IIRC there's a time 'window' one must work within while executing th procedure, else no-go. Try again, this time be very precise, it outa work.

If in spite of your best efforts it still won't function, only option is taking it in under warranty. ANY GM dealership will handle this, not just the selling dealer.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:48 PM
JimmyLee
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 200 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Landru
I found the procedure for progrmming my '06 C6 remote quite tricky compared with my C5 . Failed several times before finally getting it to work. IIRC there's a time 'window' one must work within while executing th procedure, else no-go. Try again, this time be very precise, it outa work.

If in spite of your best efforts it still won't function, only option is taking it in under warranty. ANY GM dealership will handle this, not just the selling dealer.
This has always been tricky for me when I get a new car, because I'll forget how I did it the last time. If memory serves, I found the answer in the garage opener manual, not the Corvette manual.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:53 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,052 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyLee
This has always been tricky for me when I get a new car, because I'll forget how I did it the last time. If memory serves, I found the answer in the garage opener manual, not the Corvette manual.

Me, too.

Been so long ago now (3 years, anyway) IIRC I'd read the finer points of programming it, right here. Do beleive it's covered, somewhere, in the Owner's Manual also. (Don't quote me on that. )
Old 02-07-2012, 03:58 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

What type garage opener, I have a work around that tells how to program buttons. Press and hold two outer buttons till light blinks release left button is for genie middle is for chamberlin right buttons is for wayne dalton. Sitting in drivers seat looking up left to right is pass side.
z51vett
Old 02-07-2012, 03:59 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Take your time programming the unit. Any out of sequence procedure will not allow the opener to take the setting. Another reason to purchase from a local dealer. The Chevrolet/GM dealer repair network will repair or honor your warranty, but don't expect them to go the extra mile.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:40 PM
Mchapman
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last August took delivery of a new 2011 GS 3LT. I have a four car garage and the built in remote did not work on any of my openers. Two of the bays (openers) are less than 5 years old.

Anyway I was pi**ed off. $60+K for a car and the garage door opener does not work?There is a help line phone number in the owners manual somewhere that goes to the manufacturer of the remote. I am sorry I don't have more detailed information on this at work. It was easy to find in the owners manual at the time.

The problem turned out to be that the the remote only works with the very newest digital garage door openers. They have a work around that requires a digital receiver you actually add to your garage door openers. They will send you up to 3 for free........except about $10 each for shipping.

They were not hard to install and now all is well. Also, when I was trying to figure this all out I too thought there were no red lights working on the built in remote. As that turns out you must be directly in front of the LED. If you look at the light at all from the side you can not see it.

What was very frustrating was I have other GM cars most recently a 2008 Enclave that looked to have the same remote. It programed to my openers with no problem.

The "help" desk folks said this was a very common complaint and that they were the new GM supplier of the remotes.

I hope that is helpful. My guess is you will do better than a dealer will. I will try and find the number tonight unless someone else has it available.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:51 PM
andyville99
Intermediate

Well, the problem (so far) isn't knowing how to program it. It's just that none of the red LED's light up at all when I push any of the buttons so I assumed that means the whole thing is non-functional / not working, and unable to be programmed.
Per the last post, I'll take another look, and do it in the dark to see if perhaps they are coming on and I just missed it, although I was looking pretty closely the other times I tried it out.

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2012, 04:51 PM
Mchapman
Advanced

Found it!

Try calling 1-866-572-2728 or web site learcar2u.com.

This information is in the owners manual page 5-65.

I beleive the owners manual is all wrong - it is for the old system/vendor.

Good luck.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:54 PM
Mchapman
Advanced

Originally Posted by andyville99
Well, the problem (so far) isn't knowing how to program it. It's just that none of the red LED's light up at all when I push any of the buttons so I assumed that means the whole thing is non-functional / not working, and unable to be programmed.
Per the last post, I'll take another look, and do it in the dark to see if perhaps they are coming on and I just missed it, although I was looking pretty closely the other times I tried it out.

Thanks!
As I mentioned before I had the same issue with no lights. I could not beleive they were that directional. The learcar2u folks helped me with that problem also.

Good luck
Old 02-07-2012, 05:06 PM
bearman95
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

learcar2u will only work with certain openers, i had to buy an adapter from them three or 4 years ago to make my GM vehicles work. The opener worked with homelink but not lear. The adapter cost 25 bucks and plugs into my garage door opener. Both my 09 and 11 vettes along with my silvarado were easy to program after having the adapter.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:54 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 347 Likes on 223 Posts

(1) My 2012 works just fine with a Stanley fixed-code opener that I bought back in 1994. And it also works just fine with a Chamberlain rolling-code opener that I bought in 2011.

(2) If you have a "rolling code" opener, it's an easy process. But the first step is to simultaneously press and hold the two outer buttons until the lights come on, then release them. If I understand the OP's point, he presses the two outer buttons but no lights come on.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:58 PM
andyville99
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CaryBob
(1) My 2012 works just fine with a Stanley fixed-code opener that I bought back in 1994. And it also works just fine with a Chamberlain rolling-code opener that I bought in 2011.

(2) If you have a "rolling code" opener, it's an easy process. But the first step is to simultaneously press and hold the two outer buttons until the lights come on, then release them. If I understand the OP's point, he presses the two outer buttons but no lights come on.

You're correct - no lights come on at all when I press any buttons or any combination of the buttons...

Thanks MChapman for the info - I'll check them more closely in the dark this time and if not working I'll call the number you provided. Thanks!
Old 02-07-2012, 09:28 PM
Like dem Vettes
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not a problem with my 06. It's a two-step procedure. The car has to "learn" from your garage door remote and then you match the car buttons to the door using the door manufacturer's procedures. My 10-year-old Craftsman door openers work fine with my Corvette.

My 4Runner has Homelink. That cuts out the "learning" part.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:42 AM
andyville99
Intermediate

Tried it last night in pitch black darkness and could see that the LED's are actually lighting up, but they are so faint there's no way they could be seen in any level of daylight. I've never had a car where the LED's were this faint. Kind of odd...
It was late so I didn't take the time to program it - I'll do that this weekend.
Thanks again for everybody's input!

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody experience problems with garage door opener?

Quick Reply: Anybody experience problems with garage door opener?