C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette C6 sales disappointing...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 07:12 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by C3 Vette Fan
I have four words for you. He Brought it up..
Uhh, you might want to go back and look again. I did not bring it up. Go back and read thread 161, and my response on the following thread.

As to the performance of the ZR1 vs C5, I posted an extremely comprehensive list of ZR1 performance times versus what I have personally run in two near stock C5's. I have plenty of magazines in my closet with road tests that I could go pull out, but given that I personally ran two C5's to those times I didn't see the need to.

Last edited by jschindler; 02-11-2012 at 07:17 AM.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:35 AM
TkitPlz
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What?

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
I still think the biggest problem is they cost too much. Look, the beauty of a Corvette always used to be that an average American could one day buy one. But, to price them with Porsches & Bimmers..which doctors & lawyers buy is a marketing mistake. Where is the "bang for the buck" when a Vette costs as much as a Porsche? Keep a substantial gap, even between the top of the line and they will sell more of them. Why a GS costs 70 grand is beyond me. It's all fluff!
Mike: What? I'm a lawyer and I own a Vette. I don't want a Porsche or BMW. I dreamed of one day owning a Corvette ever since I saw my first Corvette as a kid back in the early 60's. I consider myself an average American. I wasn't able to afford a Corvette until I was 51 years old and I had raised my kids. I'm 59 now and on my fourth Corvette, which is a 2011 Grand Sport coupe in jet stream blue. I really tire of hearing that just because someone is a doctor or a lawyer they somehow are thought to not be an "average American" or for some reason are too good to settle for something like a Corvette. When I get in my Vette I am the 10 year old boy who fulfilled his childhood dream. Remember the commercial by GM, "A Boy's Dream"? I can relate. In any event....
Old 02-11-2012, 08:10 AM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,510 Likes on 1,016 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I'm just waiting for GM to send me my bailout rebate check (with interest) then I'll have a down payment for a new Vette...
Old 02-11-2012, 08:35 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TkitPlz
Mike: What? I'm a lawyer and I own a Vette. I don't want a Porsche or BMW. I dreamed of one day owning a Corvette ever since I saw my first Corvette as a kid back in the early 60's. I consider myself an average American. I wasn't able to afford a Corvette until I was 51 years old and I had raised my kids. I'm 59 now and on my fourth Corvette, which is a 2011 Grand Sport coupe in jet stream blue. I really tire of hearing that just because someone is a doctor or a lawyer they somehow are thought to not be an "average American" or for some reason are too good to settle for something like a Corvette. When I get in my Vette I am the 10 year old boy who fulfilled his childhood dream. Remember the commercial by GM, "A Boy's Dream"? I can relate. In any event....
I think we all get that there are people like you - and I mean that as a compliment btw. But I think his point is valid. The success of selling 35,000 Corvettes a year came from the fact that the car was attainable by people even with a modest income. They seem to be driving away from that business model.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:13 AM
TA Racer
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jimb100
Another fortune teller predicting doom and gloom.

The economy has been improving for months.

Corvette sales are down for two reasons: The C7 will be out soon (that's the small reason), and the big reason, the housing problem.

Why the housing situation? Easy. No equity to tap for toys by 50+ year olds. The demographic for new Vette buyers is heavily skewed towards older buyers.

Older buyers have tapped equity in their homes when they downsized or when they felt like spending it before they got too old.

That equity is GONE!

Older buyers aren't taking out $30k car loans, not putting it on credit cards and not taking it out of the stock market where many still haven't gotten back to where they were before the Bush collapse.
LOL fortune teller? I am telling no fortune only a reality. Three metrics measure the true strength of the economy:
GDP % = 1.7% growth first three quaters of 2011
Housing Market = clearly on its back in every measurable factor (I bought a house 2 years ago and have 0 equity)
Unemployment % = 8.3% (is dropping because the pool of available workers is shrinking, NOT because of increased jobs)

Again are you suggesting Corvette sales dropped in 08 b/c of the C7 coming out in 2013?

Yes the collapse happened while Bush was in office, but this collapse was a buildup of 30 years worth of failed Government policy. He happend to be there when S*#t hit the fan.

Obama has had 11 quaters to right the ship and it has not happened. Go vote for Obama and the Stimulus, Obamacare and Dodd-Frank bills. We need more of that kind of hope and change.

Last edited by TA Racer; 02-11-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:36 AM
TkitPlz
Drifting

Originally Posted by jschindler
I think we all get that there are people like you - and I mean that as a compliment btw. But I think his point is valid. The success of selling 35,000 Corvettes a year came from the fact that the car was attainable by people even with a modest income. They seem to be driving away from that business model.
Point taken. Best, Dan
Old 02-11-2012, 12:03 PM
C3 Vette Fan
Pro

Originally Posted by jschindler
Uhh, you might want to go back and look again. I did not bring it up. Go back and read thread 161, and my response on the following thread.

As to the performance of the ZR1 vs C5, I posted an extremely comprehensive list of ZR1 performance times versus what I have personally run in two near stock C5's. I have plenty of magazines in my closet with road tests that I could go pull out, but given that I personally ran two C5's to those times I didn't see the need to.
Uhh, you might want to go back and look again. You did bring it up. Go back and read thread 162, and your post.

You responded to a political comment with a political comment. However you did not like the response you received and rather then back up what you said you wanted it shut down.

However I'm aware that you are a good contributing member to this forum and respect what you have to say about the Corvette. You often add good information to threads.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:35 PM
jimb100
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TA Racer
LOL fortune teller? I am telling no fortune only a reality. Three metrics measure the true strength of the economy:
GDP % = 1.7% growth first three quaters of 2011
Housing Market = clearly on its back in every measurable factor (I bought a house 2 years ago and have 0 equity)
Unemployment % = 8.3% (is dropping because the pool of available workers is shrinking, NOT because of increased jobs)

Again are you suggesting Corvette sales dropped in 08 b/c of the C7 coming out in 2013?

Yes the collapse happened while Bush was in office, but this collapse was a buildup of 30 years worth of failed Government policy. He happend to be there when S*#t hit the fan.

Obama has had 11 quaters to right the ship and it has not happened. Go vote for Obama and the Stimulus, Obamacare and Dodd-Frank bills. We need more of that kind of hope and change.
How long did it take to turn around the last Republican caused depression?

A lot more than two years.

Funny, the top 1% seemed to have made out just fine over the last 5 years.

They must be democrats, right? LOL
Old 02-11-2012, 05:00 PM
C3 Vette Fan
Pro

How long did it take to turn around the last Republican caused depression?

A lot more than two years.

Funny, the top 1% seemed to have made out just fine over the last 5 years.

They must be democrats, right? LOL
You quite conveniently forgot a few things.

#1 There was a little event that happened 09/11/01. This was not only a attack that killed 3000 people it was a direct attack at America's financial center. You can disagree with the wars that followed, yet we had to do something. This was not cheap.

#2 You also forgot who was in charge of both the senate & congress when things went bad financially. The democrats were in complete charge of both houses in 2006, 2007 & 2008. Now it is possible you missed some school when they taught how the branches of government works. But the legislative branch of the government controls the budget.

To help you learn your president has a website that will tell you just how the legislative branch works, and how important it is. In the future when talking about politics it is good to know wtf you are talking about. I hope you can learn something.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/our-govern...slative-branch
Old 02-11-2012, 09:48 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Uhh, you might want to go back and look again. You did bring it up. Go back and read thread 162, and your post.

You responded to a political comment with a political comment. However you did not like the response you received and rather then back up what you said you wanted it shut down.

However I'm aware that you are a good contributing member to this forum and respect what you have to say about the Corvette. You often add good information to threads.
I'm not sure how you can say I brought it up, then go on to say I responded. I"m not the one who brought it up if what I did was respond. That means he brought it up and I responded. As far as me not liking the answer, my point from the start was that I didn't like him bringing politics into the discussion - that's why I tried to stop it by not responding politically a second time whether I liked the answer or not.

I do understand how you take it that I contributed though - even though that was not my intent, so I will take the blame for that.

I appreciate the rest of your comments about me
Old 02-11-2012, 11:06 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Also waiting!

Originally Posted by Quick Silver Z
I'm just waiting for GM to send me my bailout rebate check (with interest) then I'll have a down payment for a new Vette...
I'm also waiting for GM to send me a bailout rebate check for $57k so that I might buy a new Vette. That is what my 1,000s/s of GM stock cost that I lost in the bailout.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:11 AM
jimb100
Drifting

You quite conveniently forgot a few things.

#1 There was a little event that happened 09/11/01. This was not only a attack that killed 3000 people it was a direct attack at America's financial center. You can disagree with the wars that followed, yet we had to do something. This was not cheap.

#2 You also forgot who was in charge of both the senate & congress when things went bad financially. The democrats were in complete charge of both houses in 2006, 2007 & 2008. Now it is possible you missed some school when they taught how the branches of government works. But the legislative branch of the government controls the budget.

To help you learn your president has a website that will tell you just how the legislative branch works, and how important it is. In the future when talking about politics it is good to know wtf you are talking about. I hope you can learn something.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/our-govern...slative-branch
I didn't forget anything. You need to get out of the "bubble" and stop getting all your information from Fox News.

#1 What sort of genius does it take to initiate 2 wars and, at the same time, give massive tax breaks to the top 1%? Then give an unfunded Medicare prescription plan?

But of course the "job creators" need tax breaks to create jobs. Except they didn't create any jobs in America. They just pocketed the money and hired child slave labor in Asia.

#2 Perhaps they didn't teach you anything about "cause and effect" in school. Or maybe you weren't listening or couldn't comprehend. Decisions made in Bush/Cheney's first term came back to haunt us all in his second term. Look it up. Cause and effect.

I hope I've taught you something. At least that you can't rely on Fox News for all your information, no matter how comforting it might be to stay in the bubble with Rush and the Fox News crew.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:14 AM
jimb100
Drifting

Originally Posted by 2006c6keller
I'm also waiting for GM to send me a bailout rebate check for $57k so that I might buy a new Vette. That is what my 1,000s/s of GM stock cost that I lost in the bailout.
You lost money in the bankruptcy, not the bailout.

The bailout's purpose was to save hundreds of thousands of jobs in the auto industry in the United States. Mission accomplished.

Didn't anyone ever tell you that the stock market wasn't an insured savings account and, in fact, was risky?

I'm pretty sure they did.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:22 AM
cuspid
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Back to the question, in 2004 the most expensive corvette the z06 was $54,000.Look at what it is today, They are pricing themselves out of the market.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:48 AM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Originally Posted by cuspid
Back to the question, in 2004 the most expensive corvette the z06 was $54,000.Look at what it is today, They are pricing themselves out of the market.

You can buy a new Corvette with equivalent performance for $49,600.

They either need to raise prices to keep profitable or lose money and shut eventually shut down. When you've got fixed cost spread over fewer units, you don't have a whole lot of choice.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:55 AM
06 Blown
Instructor

Originally Posted by DT455
I could care less about sales,I got mine and that's all that matters to me.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:43 PM
smokenjo
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

getting off the sub. the 2013 camaro ZL1 has 580 HP and high 11 in the quarter and handles great

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette C6 sales disappointing...

Old 02-12-2012, 01:58 PM
Glenn Cauvin
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 26 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I didn't forget anything. You need to get out of the "bubble" and stop getting all your information from Fox News.

#1 What sort of genius does it take to initiate 2 wars and, at the same time, give massive tax breaks to the top 1%? Then give an unfunded Medicare prescription plan?

But of course the "job creators" need tax breaks to create jobs. Except they didn't create any jobs in America. They just pocketed the money and hired child slave labor in Asia.

#2 Perhaps they didn't teach you anything about "cause and effect" in school. Or maybe you weren't listening or couldn't comprehend. Decisions made in Bush/Cheney's first term came back to haunt us all in his second term. Look it up. Cause and effect.

A lot of people don't understand that the things in the past will bite you in the future. Good job in telling the facts. Most people don't want the facts. As I said many times to people it is not your problem until its hits you. I also agree with the folowing statement by you:

"I hope I've taught you something. At least that you can't rely on Fox News for all your information, no matter how comforting it might be to stay in the bubble with Rush and the Fox News crew".
If more people would look at the issues and understand how the system works they would be able to make better decision when it comes time to vote. It always seem stupied and sad when people vote against their own best interest. I hope somebody can tell why they do that. Good post.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

We have a forum especially for this kind of discussion, and I was going to let this stand until someone quoted you.

Or MSDNC

Maybe W's problem was calling it a war, but at least he had approval of Congress before he started it, unlike our Chairman, who is taking on Libya and Pakistan with Iran heating up too. And then there's the small matter of accumulating more debt in 3 years than all the previous presidents combined. 1000+ days without a budget. Stealing $500B from Social Security to fund a scam called health care.

The tax breaks went to everyone, and by the way, Barry extended those because he knows it would stall the economy. How many poor people hire anyone? Poor people need jobs, not tax breaks because they don't pay a dime now anyway. 47% of Americans do not pay federal income tax.

You get the point?

And Barry spent $3,000,000,000 on jobs that turned out not to be shovel ready. More people on food stamps than ever before. And who is on Barrys job council? Immelt, who announced he's moving the X-Ray division to China.

Who wants to invest money building up companies when a president has declared war, pitting the rich against everyone, while he goes vacationing in Hawaii and Martha Vineyard?

What will be the effect of more people dependent on government than ever before? Of having debt exceed GDP for the first time since WWII? Of having our credit rating lowered once, and likely again in a few months? Of allowing the Muslim Brotherhood to take over the Middle East? Of ignoring W's efforts to reform Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac? Of Dodd-Frank on banking? Of government take-over of our health care industry?

I hope I've taught you something. At least that you can't rely on MSDNC News for all your information, no matter how comforting it might be to stay in the bubble with Maddow and the Alphabet letter News crew.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:49 PM
QwikC
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait for the other shoe to drop and see what happens if the current administration is elected to continue the walk.

Quick Reply: Corvette C6 sales disappointing...