C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10% alcohol going to 15%?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 07:59 AM
Travelor
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Default 10% alcohol going to 15%?

I have heard that the percent of alcohol on our gas is going to be upped to 15% in the near future (word of mouth info only), thank you Obama.

1st, any truth to this and is so, when will the happen?

2nd, is there a source to find which gas stations if any in central Arkansas sell alcohol free (i.e. real) gasoline?

I have gone to http://pure-gas.org/ but it is out of date apparently as I have gone to a few of the identified stations and they do not sell "real" gas.

Thanks

George
Old 01-20-2012, 08:06 AM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Interesting, George. The ethanol free stations are getting harder to find.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:09 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Ethanol is a joke. The media make out it is cheaper. I understand the green side. My Jeep is Flex Fuel, so Gas or E85. E85 is cheaper but I get a lot less MPG and when I calculated, using regular gas was cheaper for me. Yes green house emissions.....I know
Old 01-20-2012, 08:15 AM
LDB
Drifting

Received 1,075 Likes on 434 Posts

Various groups are lobbying to raise the maximum limit from 10 to 15%. It is unclear if or when that will happen. The only minimum percent is that in areas identified as high pollution (mostly the big cities), there is a minimum of 5%. Beyond those limits, the exact ethanol content in any given batch of gas depends on price of ethanol. If it’s cheap relative to oil, they’ll push toward max, and if expensive, they’ll push toward min. And as far as thanking Obama, yes you can, but it should be real thanks, not the sarcastic thanks that you issued. Obama led the recently successful effort to repeal the ethanol tax credit, over the strong objections of the Republicans. Thanks to Obama’s willingness to fight the Republicans on taxes for corporations and ridiculously rich folks like Romney, the price of ethanol is now 50 cents per gallon higher (the amount of the now eliminated tax credit). That in turn means that things will now trend toward putting minimum rather than maximum allowable ethanol in gas.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:17 AM
01VETTECOP
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

keep votiong for obama idiots !
Old 01-20-2012, 08:22 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Yes, the politicians want to go to 15% but the car manufacturers among others are objecting because that will cause another round of engine redesign. http://content.usatoday.com/communit...from-10-now-/1

The politicians supposedly want to do this because the fuel manufacturers are happy to keep running way below the federal mandates and just pay the fines. http://fuelfix.com/blog/2012/01/12/e...existant-fuel/ You're paying the bill through higher prices so why should they care?
Old 01-20-2012, 08:39 AM
jksvet
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

Not going to happen. The underground tanks and lines that are currently in place are not certified to use more than a 10% blend, a huge % of the cars on the road can't use the stuff, all kind of issues from a retailer labeling and liability standpoint, a long with a lot of other issues. Not an Obama fan, but it was his predecesor that signed the law mandating that all these billion gallons of ethanol get produced. Fortunately, the subsidies for this stuff has finally come to an end.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:56 AM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

What they say and what they do are not always the same. Nothing surprises me with the Obama Administration. If gas goes to 15% alcohol over time it will damage the internal components of your fuel system quicker and the high price of most everything involving corn from corn flakes to beef t-bones is going to rise. Obama just killed a Canadian based pipeline to bring oil to the USA so look for the price to go much higher. He did promise "change".
Old 01-20-2012, 09:03 AM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Ethanol subsidies expired about a week ago. HERE is a link to the story.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:40 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There's been talk of this for years, but as already mentioned really just something to highlight in the political arena. Truth is, we have lot's of refinery capacity in this country, and actually export lots of finished gasoline’s and oils to other countries. It's all about the buck. South America's another story, as really on a crusade to break foreign oil dependency. They produce lots of beet sugar there, and think their fuels are up to about 25% ethanol now.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:15 AM
CH-Z51
Drifting

Location: The Great Pacific Northwest...........I carry a gun cause a cops too heavy.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Top_Fuel
Ethanol subsidies expired about a week ago. HERE is a link to the story.
Thats great news I usually go out of my way to use only pure gas in every vehicle I own.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:50 AM
strawboss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

i'd rather see my fuel dollar subsidise a renewable fuel thats domestically produced rather than buy fossil fuel from the mid east where its used to fund terrorism against us!
Old 01-20-2012, 01:26 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Actually we are exporting a lot of gas right now. Ethanol is not a fuel source. It IS a food source. We CAN live with out fuel someday, we cannot live without food. Ethanol decreased gas mileage, put a demand on one of our food products used for feed and the damage to our cars will be a few years away. So eventually it costs more in the end in 3 different ways and doesn't do anything to save the environment because you need 10% more gas to burn the 10% you took out to put the ethanol in.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:52 PM
strawboss
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
Actually we are exporting a lot of gas right now. Ethanol is not a fuel source. It IS a food source. We CAN live with out fuel someday, we cannot live without food. Ethanol decreased gas mileage, put a demand on one of our food products used for feed and the damage to our cars will be a few years away. So eventually it costs more in the end in 3 different ways and doesn't do anything to save the environment because you need 10% more gas to burn the 10% you took out to put the ethanol in.
just to clue you in, its going to be tough to produce food and get it to market without fuel!!! french fries dont come from McDonalds!!!!
Old 01-20-2012, 01:52 PM
JSB LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

I wonder what this means exactly for heavily modified cars tuned on the previous formula (boost, high compression, etc). I would think it's reasonable to assume more ethanol would only raise the octane level a minute amount but I'm no chemist.

I'm always paranoid about things like this with the blower on the car.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:56 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
Ethanol is a joke. The media make out it is cheaper. I understand the green side. My Jeep is Flex Fuel, so Gas or E85. E85 is cheaper but I get a lot less MPG and when I calculated, using regular gas was cheaper for me. Yes green house emissions.....I know
Don't buy in to that load of CRAP about green house gas's. More junk science! The little bit of difference it makes is so minor.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:01 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 01VETTECOP
keep votiong for obama idiots !
2nd that!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To 10% alcohol going to 15%?

Old 01-20-2012, 02:03 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LDB
Various groups are lobbying to raise the maximum limit from 10 to 15%. It is unclear if or when that will happen. The only minimum percent is that in areas identified as high pollution (mostly the big cities), there is a minimum of 5%. Beyond those limits, the exact ethanol content in any given batch of gas depends on price of ethanol. If it’s cheap relative to oil, they’ll push toward max, and if expensive, they’ll push toward min. And as far as thanking Obama, yes you can, but it should be real thanks, not the sarcastic thanks that you issued. Obama led the recently successful effort to repeal the ethanol tax credit, over the strong objections of the Republicans. Thanks to Obama’s willingness to fight the Republicans on taxes for corporations and ridiculously rich folks like Romney, the price of ethanol is now 50 cents per gallon higher (the amount of the now eliminated tax credit). That in turn means that things will now trend toward putting minimum rather than maximum allowable ethanol in gas.
There isn't enough space on here to discuss how wrong you are about Obama.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:07 PM
strawboss
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JSB LS3
I wonder what this means exactly for heavily modified cars tuned on the previous formula (boost, high compression, etc). I would think it's reasonable to assume more ethanol would only raise the octane level a minute amount but I'm no chemist.

you may need a custom tune...if you up your ethanol percentage.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:25 PM
LDB
Drifting

Received 1,075 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by JSB LS3

Changing the percent ethanol in the fuel does not change octane. They will still blend to the stated pump octane. Since ethanol is a high octane component, if they blend more of it, they will simply reduce refining severity on the base gasoline so that the octane of the resulting blend stays at whatever is posted on the pump.

Originally Posted by speedlink
There isn't enough space on here to discuss how wrong you are about Obama.
Surely you aren’t going to try to tell me that the Republicans are responsible for getting rid of the ethanol tax credit, or that they favor raising taxes on corporations and zillionaires. Those are the only things I mentioned in relation to Obama. If you dislike the man’s politics, that’s your right, but you shouldn’t call me wrong about Obama whan all I’ve done is correctly state a few facts about things he has done or is trying to do.

Quick Reply: 10% alcohol going to 15%?