C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control - Manual Disengage

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 07:50 AM
Corvette00Car
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cruise Control - Manual Disengage

On my wive's Tiburon the cruise control can be disengaged with a push on the multi position leaver without stepping on the break.

It appears that on can only either step on the break or clutch to disengage cruse control. Odd, there are many reasions I would want to disengage without doing that. Other than breaking the tires loose or otherwise engaging stability or traction control are there any other options? I'm even thinking of putting in a momentary push button but didn't want to do it accross the break because the whole idea is NOT to have the break lights flash.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-16-2012, 07:57 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Well, on my car you just slide the switch on the turn signal stalk to the left to turn it off.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:58 AM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 345 Likes on 222 Posts

Moving the lever to the "O" (off) position turns cruise control off in Corvettes.

The owner's manual is your friend. Page 1-20 and page 4-8 of your 2010 owner's manual explain how to turn cruise control on and off.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:17 AM
Corvette00Car
Racer

The problem with doing that is you have to reset the speed when renegaging. Can't just hit resume.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:19 AM
TScottTX
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

A slight nudge of the emergency brake lever will disengage without brake lights. I also liked the cancel button on the steering wheel of my wife's old STS.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:22 AM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Tap the clutch.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:43 AM
GSRANDY
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is one of those feature items that has never been improved upon on the C6 Corvette.

Depressing the clutch peddle with the manual transmission, moving the shift level to neutral with the automatic transmission, tapping the brake peddle and/or moving the e-brake lever is a "work around".

Many vehicles include an actual button to depress to disengage the cruise control without actually turning the cruise control system off, allowing the resume feature to remain fully functional.

Regards,

GSRANDY
Old 01-16-2012, 08:47 AM
Corvette00Car
Racer

Thanks for the answers. Be well and save the waive.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:05 AM
NOMRW8NG
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TScottTX
A slight nudge of the emergency brake lever will disengage without brake lights.
Did not know this. Thanks!
Old 01-16-2012, 09:10 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

why is it so hard to press the reset button? no different than hitting resume you still have to push a button dont you, whether its reset or resume. I know the stalk cruise is old and been around a long time, but I like it better than the steering wheel ones. I know exactly where the buttons are on the stalk and find it easy to use. If I want to disengage I tap the brake or slide it off. Why do people need to make it more complicated than it really is?
Old 01-16-2012, 09:24 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by TScottTX
A slight nudge of the emergency brake lever will disengage without brake lights. I also liked the cancel button on the steering wheel of my wife's old STS.
A VERY SLIGHT nudge will do it. push the button and move the lever 1/4 inch up, no BRAKE lights.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:48 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,057 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by haljensen
A VERY SLIGHT nudge will do it. push the button and move the lever 1/4 inch up, no BRAKE lights.
Do you get that loud bell when you do it that way?
Old 01-16-2012, 01:08 PM
Bobbyosto
Pro

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
why is it so hard to press the reset button? no different than hitting resume you still have to push a button dont you, whether its reset or resume. I know the stalk cruise is old and been around a long time, but I like it better than the steering wheel ones. I know exactly where the buttons are on the stalk and find it easy to use. If I want to disengage I tap the brake or slide it off. Why do people need to make it more complicated than it really is?
What's the big deal; it easy to set, cancel, resume, whatever. The thing with the e-brake seems insane; don't pull that handle too far up!
Old 01-16-2012, 01:10 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Corvette00Car
The problem with doing that is you have to reset the speed when renegaging. Can't just hit resume.
There are other suggestions, but this isn't rocket science. You can tap the brake light enough that the brakes don't even engage to cancel it. If the car has a manual transmission as mine does, I frequently give the clutch a slight touch with my foot to disengage it.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:11 PM
gordonb50
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

This has been a topic (or complaint) for years. Seems to me like minimal cost to add a pause mode.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:12 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by GSRANDY
This is one of those feature items that has never been improved upon on the C6 Corvette.

Depressing the clutch peddle with the manual transmission, moving the shift level to neutral with the automatic transmission, tapping the brake peddle and/or moving the e-brake lever is a "work around".

Many vehicles include an actual button to depress to disengage the cruise control without actually turning the cruise control system off, allowing the resume feature to remain fully functional.

Regards,

GSRANDY
I've had many cars like that - in fact my other two cars are set up this way. I do not consider it any hardship at all to operate the cruise in my Corvette. This borders on the most ridiculous complaint I've ever seen on a forum.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:18 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by xf1902
Did not know this. Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Cruise Control - Manual Disengage

Old 01-16-2012, 01:21 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by mcandrew67

The old GM system is still the best. On their other cars they have copied the Ford cruise interface like other makers have and it is a PIA. On my Malibu I have to be careful moving my hand around the steering wheel or I will cancel/turn off cruise when I don't want to. Other cars have the buttons in places where it is hard to use them. I use cruise all the time, even in heavy traffic. I use my middle finger to tap the set or accelerate buttons to adjust the speed (one tap on one or the other adjusts speed by 1 mph). Been doing this for decades and the old turn signal stalk operation makes it much easier to operate that way. If I want to cancel a slight tap on the brake pedal accomplishes the task easily (not doing anything with that foot anyways) without lighting the brake lights.

Bill
Old 01-16-2012, 01:25 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette00Car
On my wive's Tiburon the cruise control can be disengaged with a push on the multi position leaver without stepping on the break.

It appears that one can only either step on the brake or clutch to disengage cruise control. Odd, there are many reasons I would want to disengage without doing that. Other than braking the tires loose or otherwise engaging stability or traction control are there any other options? I'm even thinking of putting in a momentary push button but didn't want to do it across the brake because the whole idea is NOT to have the brake lights flash.

Any thoughts?
I bought back in 1988 a new Olds Delta 88, had the same exact cruise setup, I was stunned when I bought my C6 only to see the control on the stalk, flashback to 1988...
Old 01-16-2012, 02:43 PM
Corvette00Car
Racer

Default This borders on the most ridiculous complaint I've ever seen on a forum.

You know people ought to lighten up on this forum. This is the third time I asked a question in twice as many months and got a nasty response. Don't know or care if it the same person but it gives the forum a bad rep. One should stop taking those nasty pills.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control - Manual Disengage