C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Atak and xtreme exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 07:02 AM
radbluesfan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Atak and xtreme exhaust

I have a stock 07 M6 coupe and want to add axle back exhaust. I want something loud with little or no drone. I have narrowed it down to Corsa Xtreme and Borla Atak. I have listened to video clips but not in person to each. If there are any members in the St. Louis bi-state area that have either axle back on their cars and would let me experience the sound in person, let me know. If not, has anyone heard or owned both of these systems? I am sure both are great. I am wondering what the difference is in the tone at idle, the sound at WOT, and the cabin sound for each. Drone is a factor as I have a nice stereo system installed that I like to enjoy too. I have searched and there are a lot of comments on one or the other from people that own one of them, 99% positive. I was wondering if anyone can explain the difference that actually have heard BOTH or any new opinions from recent owners. It seems that the general rule is Borla is deeper, like an older muscle car and Corsa is higher pitched, more European sounding. What do the people that have heard each think on these two models only? Thanks.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:45 AM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

The only thing I can say about Borla is the tips are not very attractive but sound pretty good. I have Corsa Xtreme and can say with pretty much confidence you will not have drone with any stock setup but when you start modding all bets are off. I have substantial drone in the 1600-1700 range but also very far from stock.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:14 AM
radbluesfan
Instructor

I like the Corsa tips too but the Borlas are not unattractive in my opinion and would not be a deal breaker.
The thought of a deeper, lower toned, sound at idle speed is appealing to me and that is what my perception is of what Borla may be---of course my perception could be wrong. More important than the deeper idle tone is the lack of excessive cruising noise and/or cabin drone which would be a deal breaker. Does anyone experience that with the Atak axle back on a stock M6? I have read that drone is not an issue with the Xtremes on an M6.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:26 AM
Schtuggie
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by radbluesfan
I have a stock 07 M6 coupe and want to add axle back exhaust. I want something loud with little or no drone. I have narrowed it down to Corsa Xtreme and Borla Atak. I have listened to video clips but not in person to each. If there are any members in the St. Louis bi-state area that have either axle back on their cars and would let me experience the sound in person, let me know. If not, has anyone heard or owned both of these systems? I am sure both are great. I am wondering what the difference is in the tone at idle, the sound at WOT, and the cabin sound for each. Drone is a factor as I have a nice stereo system installed that I like to enjoy too. I have searched and there are a lot of comments on one or the other from people that own one of them, 99% positive. I was wondering if anyone can explain the difference that actually have heard BOTH or any new opinions from recent owners. It seems that the general rule is Borla is deeper, like an older muscle car and Corsa is higher pitched, more European sounding. What do the people that have heard each think on these two models only? Thanks.
I am over by Westport, have an 07 M6 Base coupe 2LT with the Borla ATAK...it does have a drone, if you want it quiet, you want to go with the corsa...there is a guy in Union on clist with one for sale now. you may have to buy an over axel pipe from Corsa, his is off an 09. you are welcome to hear it if you want...pm me.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:55 AM
radbluesfan
Instructor

Thanks for the reply. I saw that CL ad (I think he sold them now) and posted here about the compatability with the 09 and up model on an 07. The reply was that there is a slight difference of the angle coming off the mid pipe and that it would would work if I had an 09 and up mid pipe. By the time I did that I would be close to the price of a new set for an 07. Thanks for the reply about the drone. That is what my biggest fear of the Atak is.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:14 AM
Schtuggie
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I saw that CL ad (I think he sold them now) and posted here about the compatability with the 09 and up model on an 07. The reply was that there is a slight difference of the angle coming off the mid pipe and that it would would work if I had an 09 and up mid pipe. By the time I did that I would be close to the price of a new set for an 07. Thanks for the reply about the drone. That is what my biggest fear of the Atak is.
honestly, the only one that cares is my wife...sometimes i turn the stereo off to listen to the exhaust while i am driving...went to the kentucky 400 this past summer and it didn't bother me at all, with the top off and the tunes on, i just smiled the entire way....if you ever want to hear it, lemme know.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:45 AM
radbluesfan
Instructor

Originally Posted by Schtuggie
honestly, the only one that cares is my wife...sometimes i turn the stereo off to listen to the exhaust while i am driving...went to the kentucky 400 this past summer and it didn't bother me at all, with the top off and the tunes on, i just smiled the entire way....if you ever want to hear it, lemme know.
PM Sent.

Any other opinions out there?
Old 01-15-2012, 11:29 AM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Supposedly Borla has recently redone their exhaust (including the Atak) to eliminate any drone. This is according to a new video comparing their 3 exhausts (Touring, S-Tyle 2, Atak).

I have no personal experience with these.

http://www.youtube.com/borla
Old 01-15-2012, 11:40 AM
njfl
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Any low-restriction exhaust will generate drone/resonance with the interior of the car. The drone, as we call it is not completely controlled by the muffler. It is the exhaust's sound (vibrations) interacting with the resonance frequency of the car (which is a composite sum of the resonances of all of the materials making up the car). Hollows and chambers create amplifications of these resonances like a speaker box.

I have the Xtreme in a stock 05 and there is drone around 1600. I just got through putting two layers of Dynamat and one layer of acoustic foam in the rear and it is reduced, but still there. I also added a single layer of Dynamat to the underside of the heatshield over the mufflers when I installed them as well as placed a 4" x 4" patch of Dynamat atop the mufflers (akin to having that little pad on your stainless kitchen sink to change the resonant frequency and eliminate the tinny sound).

All this and it is still there, but I would not go back to stock for anything. The Xtremes sound great outside and even inside under acceleration.

To reduce the resonance even further, you really have to Dynamat and insulate the entire interior. I plan to do that in the spring (remove seats and door panels. Also, a big offending area is the plastic surround on the hatch.

The Xtreme muffler is a straight through pipe that just has cutouts to allowsome of the acoustic waves to enter and return from the chamber with a delay, thereby (in theory) reducing drone.

While I love the sound and will not change these Xtremes, don't let anyone tell you there is no drone.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:47 PM
radbluesfan
Instructor

Originally Posted by njfl
Any low-restriction exhaust will generate drone/resonance with the interior of the car. The drone, as we call it is not completely controlled by the muffler. It is the exhaust's sound (vibrations) interacting with the resonance frequency of the car (which is a composite sum of the resonances of all of the materials making up the car). Hollows and chambers create amplifications of these resonances like a speaker box.

I have the Xtreme in a stock 05 and there is drone around 1600. I just got through putting two layers of Dynamat and one layer of acoustic foam in the rear and it is reduced, but still there. I also added a single layer of Dynamat to the underside of the heatshield over the mufflers when I installed them as well as placed a 4" x 4" patch of Dynamat atop the mufflers (akin to having that little pad on your stainless kitchen sink to change the resonant frequency and eliminate the tinny sound).

All this and it is still there, but I would not go back to stock for anything. The Xtremes sound great outside and even inside under acceleration.

To reduce the resonance even further, you really have to Dynamat and insulate the entire interior. I plan to do that in the spring (remove seats and door panels. Also, a big offending area is the plastic surround on the hatch.

The Xtreme muffler is a straight through pipe that just has cutouts to allowsome of the acoustic waves to enter and return from the chamber with a delay, thereby (in theory) reducing drone.

While I love the sound and will not change these Xtremes, don't let anyone tell you there is no drone.
Do you have a manual or automatic? I wonder which of the two systems has more drone. Thanks for your input.
My car is not a daily driver---I've put about 6500 miles on it in the last 17-18 months since I bought it. I wonder how much a little drone would affect me.
Is there anyone that has owned or ridden in a car with an Atak and another with an Xtreme?
Old 01-15-2012, 10:06 PM
njfl
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Do you have a manual or automatic? I wonder which of the two systems has more drone. Thanks for your input.
My car is not a daily driver---I've put about 6500 miles on it in the last 17-18 months since I bought it. I wonder how much a little drone would affect me.
Is there anyone that has owned or ridden in a car with an Atak and another with an Xtreme?
Mine is a manual and I am in the same boat as you as far as mine also not being a daily driver. I doubt it would bother you if you like a performance sound. I was told by Corsa that adding their X pipe will reduce the drone a bit, but I opted to go the Dynamat route and am content with the slight reduction that it offered as I am planning to do headers in the near future.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:13 AM
radbluesfan
Instructor

It looks like I am leaning towards the Xtreme. Probably couldn't go wrong with either. I guess there are not many people who have experienced both the Atak and the Xtreme. Out of curiosity I called my local Chevy dealer and their price, with installation, was the same or less than what I have been seeing advertised for just the exhaust.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:18 AM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

your local dealer will install the aftermarket bolt on exhaust for the same price you can buy the parts online?? I wish I lived near you...
Old 01-18-2012, 12:30 PM
radbluesfan
Instructor

$1400 installed for the 4" tip model 14960 does not include tax. No shipping charge though. Just slightly higher than most sale prices I have seen. I did not think the dealer would be the route I would go but I have had positive experiences there before and just called on a whim expecting an inflated price. A lower price probably could be found but I trust these guys and piece of mind is worth a lot to me.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:31 AM
Go2GuyTX
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Borla ATAK on an 07 MZ6 and the only mod so far is a CAI...the car is a daily driver (~500miles a week) and I don't consider what I hear as drone, I hear a muffler back there. I keep my radio at the same level I did before the exhaust install and it is still perfectly audible. When you get the engine over 3000rpm it is amazing I got mine while it was on sale back in NOV, so I don't now how it would compare exactly to the price you're getting.

Hope this helps
Old 02-14-2012, 10:45 AM
ricknyc23
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as an FYI, American Racing is coming out with a 4" tip axel back system in the next 30 days or so. Its supposed be a droneless system.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:31 PM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, I can't wait to see that ARH Axel Back system.. wonder what's it's going to sound like.. I heard him talking about it this last weekend at TKO, but he didn't want to be very specific. I'm kinda sold on a Corsa sport axel back, but I'll wait and see what ARH comes up with... support the local guys if at all possible.

Get notified of new replies

To Atak and xtreme exhaust

Old 02-14-2012, 06:23 PM
ricknyc23
Melting Slicks

That was a great tech session! Ed's a good guy....
Old 02-15-2012, 10:59 AM
Redshift
Platinum Supporting Vendor

I'm afraid I can't offer an opinion on which sound might suit you better, but if you haven't pulled the trigger yet, perhaps we can help you with pricing?
Old 02-15-2012, 12:18 PM
radbluesfan
Instructor

I bought the Xtremes and have enjoyed them when weather has permitted. They are actually quieter than I expected while idling and cruising. They come to life when on the gas but I can't tell how loud they are from inside the car. I'll have to let a buddy do a drive by so I can listen. I am happy with them. ZERO drone even when trying to lug it or find an RPM to create it. The 4" tips look pretty mean. So far so good.

One question: Is it important to re-torque the clamps? Will they loosen up that much too cause a leak or problem? Just asking because I do not have a jack that fits the vette and I would have to work something out.

Quick Reply: Atak and xtreme exhaust