C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Atak and xtreme exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 01:29 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by radbluesfan
I bought the Xtremes and have enjoyed them when weather has permitted. They are actually quieter than I expected while idling and cruising. They come to life when on the gas but I can't tell how loud they are from inside the car. I'll have to let a buddy do a drive by so I can listen. I am happy with them. ZERO drone even when trying to lug it or find an RPM to create it. The 4" tips look pretty mean. So far so good.

One question: Is it important to re-torque the clamps? Will they loosen up that much too cause a leak or problem? Just asking because I do not have a jack that fits the vette and I would have to work something out.
They should be re-torqued after a few weeks. The Xtreme is quite a different sound if and when you add headers and high flow cats so be careful.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:56 PM
BWM C6GS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Supposedly Borla has recently redone their exhaust (including the Atak) to eliminate any drone. This is according to a new video comparing their 3 exhausts (Touring, S-Tyle 2, Atak).

I have no personal experience with these.

http://www.youtube.com/borla

A comment to this forum from David Borla himself help maybe?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/c6-parts-for-sale-wanted/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1579975575
Old 05-26-2014, 06:35 PM
airforcex
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Like many, undecided between Xtreme and ATAK. I love driving with the top off and I can barely hear the engine. From what I gather, on a stock car, Xtreme isn't really loud until WOT. ATAK seems too loud for some. In Louisiana, I can hear pickup trucks meters away over my car. My only concern is being a good neighbor in the mornings and drone. I've watched videos, etc. and frankly, they all sound good (even stock); you cant't really replicate the sound on video. So the questions are:
1. On stock config. with M6, does anyone regret going ATAK?
2. Is there a dB chart anywhere for Corsa and Borla? BB provides a direct dB comparison on their website.
3. Is S-type louder than Xtreme?
I've pretty much read all the threads. Just looking for amplifying info.
Thanks!
Old 05-26-2014, 06:50 PM
V8lust
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Borla has a free app available at the Apple App Store.

I bought an S-Type II, and the app connected to my stereo sounds true. You can also easily "A/B" the ATAK vs other Borla systems.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:25 PM
airforcex
Pro

Originally Posted by V8lust
Borla has a free app available at the Apple App Store.

I bought an S-Type II, and the app connected to my stereo sounds true. You can also easily "A/B" the ATAK vs other Borla systems.
Give the creator of the app a pay increase!
Old 05-26-2014, 08:47 PM
ButWhatDoIKnow
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by njfl
Any low-restriction exhaust will generate drone/resonance with the interior of the car. The drone, as we call it is not completely controlled by the muffler. It is the exhaust's sound (vibrations) interacting with the resonance frequency of the car (which is a composite sum of the resonances of all of the materials making up the car). Hollows and chambers create amplifications of these resonances like a speaker box.

While I love the sound and will not change these Xtremes, don't let anyone tell you there is no drone.
No one else can tell you which exhaust to choose. You need to hear them yourself, both in the car and out, in person.

I have a coupe with the NPP exhaust. I just use it for pleasure trips. Here is my experience:

I have removed the fuse and get drone at the mid range rpm's. The "trunk area" works like a speaker box amplifying the sound. When I use the cargo shade it helps very much.

An NPP with a switch to turn it on and off, and a cargo cover, would be ideal for a daily driver, in my opinion.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:27 AM
bgspot
Burning Brakes

Received 285 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by airforcex
Like many, undecided between Xtreme and ATAK. I love driving with the top off and I can barely hear the engine. From what I gather, on a stock car, Xtreme isn't really loud until WOT. ATAK seems too loud for some. In Louisiana, I can hear pickup trucks meters away over my car. My only concern is being a good neighbor in the mornings and drone. I've watched videos, etc. and frankly, they all sound good (even stock); you cant't really replicate the sound on video. So the questions are:
1. On stock config. with M6, does anyone regret going ATAK?
2. Is there a dB chart anywhere for Corsa and Borla? BB provides a direct dB comparison on their website.
3. Is S-type louder than Xtreme?
I've pretty much read all the threads. Just looking for amplifying info.
Thanks!
I installed the atak on my '12 M6 with no other mods. At first i was really disappointed. The exhaust was too quiet, but i had no idea exhausts had a break in period. After a week or so after they were broken in they sounded amazing! I sold that car a couple weeks ago and will upgrade to a GS. As much as i loved the atak im curious as to what the extremes would sound like
Old 05-27-2014, 06:11 AM
08C6
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Borla S type 2 ... Awesome - insane sound - Very noticeable on " WOT " but that's what we want...Header package kinda helps also !!!
My decision was bang on...Atak would have been " way " overboard ... It's all what you want though ... Cheers

Last edited by 08C6; 05-27-2014 at 06:14 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:22 PM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Get ZR1 or NPP mufflers with dual mode! and Headers of course.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:11 PM
RookWV
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought an ATAK for my 05 and my father in law has the Corsa Extreme....his is louder. Not significantly but noticeably, inside and out.

IMHO, his is slightly more raw/harsh than mine but I like it as much as I do the ATAK.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:28 PM
blitzebill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

put an ATAK on my '12 GS a year ago and it is glorious. not too loud, no drone, but as some have said, on WOT, it announces itself!

best mod ever.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:29 PM
airforcex
Pro

Default Installed ATAK; awesome!

As you know, I was debating between XTREME and ATAK. Went with ATAK since I got the impression, from most, that it was a bit louder. The Borla Bondurant videos helped. ATAK is not ridiculously loud; it's legal loud. Yet, noticeably loud. My 6yr and 4yr old loved it. Yes, they like race cars. If you want a race/muscle sound...ATAK is it. Finally, I can hear my LS2 with the top off. It did take me forever to remove the stock exhaust...get some help. The Borla videos, and references to ignoring the stereo, addressed exactly what I was looking for. It changes the car. I worked hard for a Vette; I don't need a stereo!

Thanks to Marylandspeed.com, and David Borla. Dude...my kids have seen your Bondurant videos like 20 times!
Old 06-07-2014, 10:57 PM
blitzebill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by airforcex
As you know, I was debating between XTREME and ATAK. Went with ATAK since I got the impression, from most, that it was a bit louder. The Borla Bondurant videos helped. ATAK is not ridiculously loud; it's legal loud. Yet, noticeably loud. My 6yr and 4yr old loved it. Yes, they like race cars. If you want a race/muscle sound...ATAK is it. Finally, I can hear my LS2 with the top off. It did take me forever to remove the stock exhaust...get some help. The Borla videos, and references to ignoring the stereo, addressed exactly what I was looking for. It changes the car. I worked hard for a Vette; I don't need a stereo!

Thanks to Marylandspeed.com, and David Borla. Dude...my kids have seen your Bondurant videos like 20 times!

Good choice...yeah, I watched those videos a million times, too, before I made up my mind. Ditto for MS and DB, they rock!

Quick Reply: Atak and xtreme exhaust