C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Nav update killed MP3 functionality on my 2005 C6

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 08:02 AM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Not to beat on anyone's choice, but when I got tired of stuffing individual CD's into the nav unit, and tired of XM's blathering DJ's and crooked billing; I thought about MP3 but noticed too many people complaining about problems. So I bought the PAL and Kawl's harness, installed in about an hour, and put all my songs into a Ipod which I just leave in the car.

Life is good.

I did the same thing, around $200 for the premium package, it worked perfectly. Bought the cable from Radio Shack to connect to my phone and I can listen to Pandora too. And Ray's a great guy to deal with, I had a question and called his number, he picked up and talked me through my issue.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:44 AM
CaptainChet
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Not to beat on anyone's choice, but when I got tired of stuffing individual CD's into the nav unit, and tired of XM's blathering DJ's and crooked billing; I thought about MP3 but noticed too many people complaining about problems. So I bought the PAL and Kawl's harness, installed in about an hour, and put all my songs into a Ipod which I just leave in the car.

Life is good.

Like many, no matter what I did I cannot get MP3 CD's to play either. So like Gearhead, I ordered and installed the PAL2 Kit from Ray, (premium cable) installed it in about 20 minutes and now use my iPhone for all my music, pandora etc. Works great!!!
Old 09-12-2012, 01:56 PM
tlcj
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Does anyone have issues using the 2012 update in a 2008 car? I figure it is time for me to upgrade, but I do not want create an issue.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:08 AM
austinC6
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any updates on this issue?
Also, after the 2012 DVD has "updated" the head unit firmware, does the NAV disk operate ok? I'm also having dropouts and lousy NAV operation after the new disk has been used.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:02 PM
Waves
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Did anybody try the latest 2013 map update SKU 22944166?
Old 03-11-2013, 11:16 AM
Waves
Advanced

This is just great! The new nav unit (installed in April 2012) stopped accepting CDs. Yesterday I ejected the CD to put another one in and now it doesn't accept any CDs anymore.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:38 PM
austinC6
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any updates on this issue? Response from customer service?
Old 05-22-2013, 10:52 AM
Waves
Advanced

I've been on the phone with them for many days a year ago and they just don't want to acknowledge the problem. It's easier to blame it on my CDs. When I asked them to use their own CD to prove that it's working they said they don't have one. You're more than welcome to open a case with them, the more people complain about this issue, the more chances we have to get it resolved. I'm 100% sure this is a software issue and can be fixed with a software update.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:01 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

When I got my 05 with it's NAV software it didn't matter how long the file names or folder names were. Then I got an 08. With it if anything was was over 25 characters the NAV did not see it. I had to reburn all my mp3 cd over. Making sure that all folder and file name were on more then 25 characters. That 25 characters also includes spaces.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:53 AM
Waves
Advanced

I trimmed all file names to 24 or less characters, it didn't make a difference.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:59 AM
lavla
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Waves
I trimmed all file names to 24 or less characters, it didn't make a difference.
Don't expect any changes at this point. The factory is focused on the C7 and what it has to do to make that car better. The C6 is in their rear view mirror.

I just sold my 2005 coupe and purchased a 2013 Grand Sport. Fortunately, it has a USB port in the center console. I purchased a 16GB flash drive and loaded almost 200 albums onto it. That's all I'll ever need. Also, if I want to add music, I just put the flash drive into my computer, load it and put it back in the car. The CD drive is "yesterday" for me now.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:24 AM
Ray02911
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Nav Update Killed C6 MP3 Functionality

Hi All - I'm new to this thread and need some help. This exact problem happened to me last week when I updated my 2005 C6 Nav map to the current version, part number 23286274.

I bought my 2005 C6 new in April, 2005. The Nav did not play MP3 discs at that time. Shortly after that, in maybe June, 2005, I heard about the static and MP3 player update and had it done by my local dealer. Everything worked fine. The Nav now played MP3s flawlessly. I used the MP3 Jukebox burning feature on Roxio software to create MP3 discs. It worked fine for 11 years until last week when I purchased and installed the new map upgrade.

The map upgrade came out OK but now the MP3 player function is kinda screwed up. It still plays MP3 discs, but 1) it does not recognize all of the tracks. I burned an MP3 disc with 51 tracks on it in one folder but now, the Nav only recognizes/sees 22 tracks. There are 51 tracks there but the Nav sees only 22, and 2) Instead of moving onto track 2 after playing track 1, it repeats track 1 four times and then moves onto track 2.Then it plays track 2 four times before moving onto track 3, etc, etc.

My question is, has GM or anybody, ever produced a fix for this??

And also, if I go the aftermarket route, can anyone recommend a good aftermarket head-unit?

This is fairly frustrating and any help or advice would really be appreciated!

Thanks

Ray
Old 07-05-2016, 11:28 AM
Ray02911
Navigator

Correction - I got the MP3 playing function in 2008, not 2005, as I mentioned in my post. Sorry.

Ray
Old 07-05-2016, 01:43 PM
lavla
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 180 Posts

I had a late 2005 production coupe which played MP3 CDs after the update. I went through many, many CDs while going through the learning curve of producing JUKEBOX CDs with ROXIO. Fortunately, I sold the car in 2013 and didn't update the navigation disc. Therefore, I didn't experience your problem.

I purchased a 2013 Grand Sport which has a USB port, which I now use with a flash drive for music instead of CDs. I did play a couple of CDs in the GS and found that the sequence of songs was out of order. For example, it would play track 3 when the screen was showing track 2. It would have been very frustrating if the USB port wasn't available. It's shocking to me (maybe not!) that GM didn't resolve this issue before the end of the C6 generation in light of all the technology that had been developed over that period in other cars. I doubt that they'll make any investment in the resolution of your problem now that C6 is in GM's rear view mirror.

My suggestion would be to see if there's a way to install a USB port so that you don't have to deal with CDs. Once you get rid of the CD prison, you'll be relieved of the burden of making a new CD every time you want to add or delete music. The flash drive allows you to add/delete tracks or albums on the flash drive through your computer and bring it back to your car. Good luck, I feel your pain!
Old 07-05-2016, 05:15 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by lavla
My suggestion would be to see if there's a way to install a USB port so that you don't have to deal with CDs. Once you get rid of the CD prison, you'll be relieved of the burden of making a new CD every time you want to add or delete music. The flash drive allows you to add/delete tracks or albums on the flash drive through your computer and bring it back to your car. Good luck, I feel your pain!

I agree , for 100 bucks you can buy an ISIMPLE which will give u Bluetooth , Ipod capability and a USB port
http://shop.doubledmods.com/C6-CORVE...te-ISGM655.htm

Dave
Old 07-05-2016, 09:58 PM
Ray02911
Navigator

Thank you, Lavla. I am on the same page as you. It's incredible, and I am fairly flabbergasted at this point, that GM never bother to recognize, acknowledge and correct this issue. I am aware of the beauty of the USB (and SD card) features because I have them both in my other car. I'm thinking I will pursue Dcasole's post re: the ISIMPLEGM655. I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks

Ray
Old 07-05-2016, 10:05 PM
Ray02911
Navigator

Thanks, Dave. I never knew that a piece like the ISIMPLEGM655 existed.

Am I understanding it correctly that when playing songs off the USB drive, that the song title and artist information displays on the existing Nav display screen?

Also, does the ISIMPLEGM655 work through the XM radio mode, as in is a channel from XM assigned to the ISIMPLEGM655 and you access the USB drive by accessing that channel?

It sounds like the ISIMPLEGM655 is an excellent and viable alternative to replacing the whole Nav system.

Thanks very much for your suggestion.

Ray

Get notified of new replies

To 2012 Nav update killed MP3 functionality on my 2005 C6

Old 07-06-2016, 08:15 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray02911
Thanks, Dave. I never knew that a piece like the ISIMPLEGM655 existed.

Am I understanding it correctly that when playing songs off the USB drive, that the song title and artist information displays on the existing Nav display screen?

Also, does the ISIMPLEGM655 work through the XM radio mode, as in is a channel from XM assigned to the ISIMPLEGM655 and you access the USB drive by accessing that channel?

It sounds like the ISIMPLEGM655 is an excellent and viable alternative to replacing the whole Nav system.

Thanks very much for your suggestion.

Ray
Ray I never had to use the ISimple in my C6 as I have the USB and aux port. I did have one in my C5 and it worked great

the ISimple does use the 2nd XM menu and you can control it with the radio controls but maybe someone who is more familiar with its operations in a C6 can chime in
Old 07-09-2016, 12:37 PM
Ray02911
Navigator

Update: MP3 player still screwed up. I called the GM Nav website's customer service phone number and they said that the problem is in the head unit, not the update disc, and that a dealer should run a systems diagnostic test on my head unit. So .... I will be bringing my C6 into my local dealer later this week for said systems diagnostic test. My gut feeling is that, as everyone else has been saying for the past several years, this issue will never be corrected.

Ray
Old 07-14-2016, 01:09 PM
Ray02911
Navigator

Update# 2: I brought my C6 into my local Chevy dealer to check out the death of my Nav's MP3 playing functionality. They performed a systems diagnostic test on the Nav (not sure what entails) and, as expected, found nothing wrong with the Nav. This is even after the service advisor and the technician played 2 MP3 discs on the Nav and saw firsthand that the Nav's MP3 playing ability was compromised and definitely malfunctioning. So, my Nav has not been fixed. The service advisor did suggest that he could call in their local "electronics expert" for a look-see and that maybe said expert might be able to identify and fix the problem. Having nothing to lose, I agreed to that and the look-see will happen next Wednesday. Will update then.

Quick Reply: 2012 Nav update killed MP3 functionality on my 2005 C6