C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Seats

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 12:46 PM
Snakes & Arrows
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Notch
Plenty of 911 owners use the back seats to haul their kids around.
Poor kids. That's if they are over 5 years old. Otherwise it would be borderline child abuse.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:23 PM
GS-Zero
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

You're right about the demographic... But for the C7 generation, GM needs to offer TWO OPTIONS for a seat. Ferrari offers six different types. We can't at least get two?

The P car seats are better, no doubt. But yes, if Porsche threw some Vette seats in the 998 and put Porsche logos on them, C&D would build a shrine around them and tell everyone to get on their knees and worship like Porsche pays them to do. Oops, did I say that?
Old 01-13-2012, 01:33 PM
Snakes & Arrows
Pro

Originally Posted by GS-Zero
You're right about the demographic... But for the C7 generation, GM needs to offer TWO OPTIONS for a seat. Ferrari offers six different types. We can't at least get two?

The P car seats are better, no doubt. But yes, if Porsche threw some Vette seats in the 998 and put Porsche logos on them, C&D would build a shrine around them and tell everyone to get on their knees and worship like Porsche pays them to do. Oops, did I say that?
Oh, yes you did. And you're probably not far off from reality. Porsche has without question produced some of the most unattractive, and overpriced cars made in the history of auto making. Yet, C&D bows at the alter. For you Porsche fans yes, they are fast and do handle well. But for the money they should at least look better.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:37 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by niteriderc5
Im sorry you cant judge a seat by looking at it. The Corvette seats in general even the new 2012 models look supportive but they are in fact not. They have a cheap structure ( or lack of) and soft bolstering for the bottom cushion.

A good seat doesn't have to feel cramped to be supportive. Try sitting in a new Camaro...those seats are HUGE, I'm assuming they are quite accommodating for even plus size. Im a medium build and those felt more solid than any Corvette seat I've ever sat in.
I have driven Corvettes since 1970 1967 convertible been doing autocross and drag racing all these years never gave the seats a thought 5' 6" tall weighedd 160lbs 32 waist 42 chest now at 68 200lbs 38 waste 44 chest seats still comfty to me for street and limited spirited driving. You need race seat buy it after market japanese cars are made for little japanese and sold here.
z51vett
Old 01-13-2012, 01:46 PM
jimb100
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BT ZR1
I like the seats in my corvette but the sport seats in my 911 are far superior in fit, finish and general comfort.
I like the seats in my vette, but then I rarely drive it other than out to dinner, movies and the occasional cross country jaunt.

The forum seems to divide in two. Those who judge the car by mashing the throttle and hanging on for dear life and those who use it as I do.

The magazines put a fair amount of value on fit and finish. If you don't, you'll never agree with them.

My wife drives an SL. If I have a choice, I take the vette over the SL, she never drives the vette, although she could if she wanted to.

But I could come up with more categories where the Benz is better than the vette.

Its just that the categories where the vette is better are more important to me. Light weight and low end torque.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:49 PM
geezerman
Racer

Originally Posted by Notch
Plenty of 911 owners use the back seats to haul their kids around.
me for one...
Old 01-13-2012, 07:56 PM
geezerman
Racer

Originally Posted by Snakes & Arrows
Oh, yes you did. And you're probably not far off from reality. Porsche has without question produced some of the most unattractive, and overpriced cars made in the history of auto making. Yet, C&D bows at the alter. For you Porsche fans yes, they are fast and do handle well. But for the money they should at least look better.
i don't think porsche can now change the look of their 911,...it's pretty much set in stone,...i think they'd really **** off their dedicated cliental if they ever did that,...some folks hate the look,...some folks love the look,...but say what you will,..it seems to have served porsche very well going on nigh 50 years now,...i think it's probably one of the most recognized shapes in automotive history,...so why mess with what works for them?,...i know all the jokes,...ie.,...laziest designers in car history,..true that!,...but i read somewhere's that even kids will know that shape and name the car,..or mistakenly name the beetle,..from which it's derived?,..anyhoo,...love it myself,..but certainly love the more "aggressive" looks of the vette too!
Old 01-13-2012, 08:03 PM
PHXAZ06
Pro

There's a little more to the shape of a car than it's looks.
I can tell you from first hand experience that at 150 mph, my 911 felt more "planted" than my Z06 does.
The Z06 definately gets there faster, but is skittish, relative to the 911.
As for the manufacturer, call it a beetle, or maybe a Gallardo, or a R8....
Old 01-13-2012, 08:33 PM
GS-Zero
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I myself am a Porsche fan. No hate here. I just prefer the 'Vette.

But there's no arguing that the new 998 is a good looking car.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:43 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I'd trade my C6 for that any day of the week.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:05 PM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot
Bring extra pants for a Lotus...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWBBN4uzvaQ
That's nothing compared to THIS!!!

Old 01-13-2012, 10:25 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
Not only that...but how come NO mention is ever made about the stupid and absurd back seats in a Porsche? What the heck are they for ?? Not even little kids can fit in those, but, once again the car mag jamokes bow down and worship anything European. Make's me want to puke.....
Definitely not true...my brothers girlfriend has sat in the back of my dad's 997 turbo many times without any issue. She's about 5'2 and 100lbs. She's very comfortable back there.

Little kids can easily sit back there.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:43 PM
Rodbuster56
Instructor

I have a 911 with the standard seats, and they seem to fit well. However, I sat in a 2012 GS with the new seats the other night, and I thought the new seats were very well fitted. They reminded me of the sport seats in the 911, and that ain't bad. The back seats in the 911 may be OK for a pair of 5 year olds, but other than for storage, there isn't much else you can do with them. I have heard that the back seats were useful for insurance rating purposes, as the 911 is then considered a 4 seater.

Another thing to mention, and this may be off topic, but sitting in the GS with the motor rumbling, I got a very different "feeling" of the car. The GS tells the driver it is ready for action, while the 911 is more like a sewing machine on steroids, sitting there waiting.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:34 PM
designerRob
Safety Car

Not arguing. That's an ugly ride.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:42 PM
Snakes & Arrows
Pro

Originally Posted by designerRob
Not arguing. That's an ugly ride.
Incredible how some people will choose status over looks. Most car makers at least attempt to design good looking cars rather then rely on a name plate. Sadly, Porsche does not. The only exception is the new 4 door which is a pretty sharp ride.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:51 PM
PHXAZ06
Pro

Incredible how some people will choose status over looks. Most car makers at least attempt to design good looking cars rather then rely on a name plate. Sadly, Porsche does not. The only exception is the new 4 door which is a pretty sharp ride.
Are you referring to the Malibu or the Impala? Maybe the Cruze?
Old 01-13-2012, 11:52 PM
Snakes & Arrows
Pro

Originally Posted by PHXAZ06
Are you referring to the Malibu or the Impala? Maybe the Cruze?
The Panamera...

Get notified of new replies

To Porsche Seats

Old 01-14-2012, 12:02 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
I have never understood the seat thing either. If you want a real confining sports seat so that you can run at the track with high g forces there are aftermarket seats available. The demographic for this car is not some athletic race car driver. GM has to be careful that they don't design the C7 seats for the wrong customer base because if the buyer can't fit in the seat he won't be buying the car.
It cuts both ways. They are losing sales due to the seats, too.

GM could make this issue go away if they'd just offer optional sports seats. The Corvette is offered in six models with three different engines and numerous other options. They can do it.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:19 AM
PHXAZ06
Pro

The Panamera...
Oh.
the ugliest Porsche ever made.
Just goes to show, looks aren't everything, and styling is definately subjective.
When it comes to function, though, hard to argue with how either a 911 or Vette performs.
Both cars go about their business in very different manners - about as polar opposite as you can get, and offer completely different driving experiences.
Both of them will put a grin on your face if you have them in your garage, but I'd also like to experience BMW's M series, an AMG, and an Audi R or S series, Ferrari, Maserati, Jaguar, the VW Gallardo.... to name a few....
Old 01-14-2012, 12:38 AM
PHXAZ06
Pro

Originally Posted by torquetube
It cuts both ways. They are losing sales due to the seats, too.

GM could make this issue go away if they'd just offer optional sports seats. The Corvette is offered in six models with three different engines and numerous other options. They can do it.
Excellent point.
Cadillac at least offers a Recaro seat. Why not in the Corvette?
The new Boxster (simply as an example) offers 4 basic seat options, and 1/2 dozen ways to cover them, at least.

Quick Reply: Porsche Seats