C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too young for a corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 12:21 PM
Frank's C6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
If it's the car you want and you believe it is a reasonable financial decision for your circumstances, then why not ?

And have a lot of fun.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:24 AM
bullitt4110
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

21 is not to young, I bought my first C5 Z06 at 20 and now have a C6 Z06 at 25. You will get some crazy looks though. lol.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:28 PM
djmano
Instructor

Location: Intersection of Eau Rogue, Flugplatz and Loews Hairpin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if the corvette wasn't a badass car would anyone even care? every single jealous fool who shoots you a dirty look, cuts you off or somehow tries to get under your skin is jealous and they wish they had your car.

a high performance car is like a darwinian filter.....you have to be at least slightly intelligent to understand how to maintain the vehicle and you have to have a high amount of self control to keep from killing yourself. id say for the most part people who own very nice sports cars are well-to-do individuals.

in a nutshell if someone is hating on you, you're doing good. if no ones hating on you, you're probably not doing very well.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:02 PM
djmano
Instructor

4) You're 21!!! Why tie yourself down to such a big commitment. You only get to be young once, so use the $$$ to enjoy life. You can buy a Corvette anytime.

Growing up I had a few friends who had extremely nice vehicles at a young age. And I kinda felt sorry for them. The car ended up owning them. Instead of them owning the car. In other words the car was their life. The best part about being young, is having so many opportunities available to you.. the more you commitments you begin early, the less opportunities you have access to later.
if you buy used and are able to secure a low interest loan and have a steady job i dont think it ties you down that much. i totally understand the above posters points, and a small part of me inside says that i should listen to him but i mean.....you said yourself use your $$$ to enjoy life. i can't think of anything more enjoyable than blasting down a nice road with the targa off on a nice day.

this probably isn't the most practical way to live but who knows what will happen in the future? like the old adage goes....every man early in his career dreams of owning a (insert whatever dream car here) but then he meets the girl of his dreams, gets married has kids and then drives a toyota previa. i'm not driving a previa.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:04 PM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's your daily, I would say no. If its your second car, go for it.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:35 PM
RichMattB
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by djmano
if you buy used and are able to secure a low interest loan and have a steady job i dont think it ties you down that much. i totally understand the above posters points, and a small part of me inside says that i should listen to him but i mean.....you said yourself use your $$$ to enjoy life. i can't think of anything more enjoyable than blasting down a nice road with the targa off on a nice day.

this probably isn't the most practical way to live but who knows what will happen in the future? like the old adage goes....every man early in his career dreams of owning a (insert whatever dream car here) but then he meets the girl of his dreams, gets married has kids and then drives a toyota previa. i'm not driving a previa.
DJ, you hit the nail on the head!

I bought my first Vette last month. It's an '07 C6 Z51 vert with 33k miles on it. I'm 29.

I've never considered an American car. I don't even really like the vast majority of American cars. I'm more of a Euro car guy, but I'm not a fanboy or a badge *****. I respect any well made and well performing car for what it is.

However, my dad bought a Vette when he was in his 20's and he and my mom talk about having such incredible memories (no, not those kind...) of the car. It was a '71 with a 454 in Brands Hatch Green. I only know that because he talked about it so often!

My lease came up on my Infiniti last month and I was just going to buy it out since I knew the first owner took good care of it. I happened to be driving past a Chevy dealer and saw what is now my car sitting in the front of the lot. I talked to the salesman (pretty cool guy) and he told me to take the car for a day or two and bring it back when I can.

I drove the car home, picked up my wife, and we fell in love. I immediately decided to get rid of the Infiniti, bought a beater for a DD, and picked up the Vette after a couple weeks of price negotiations.

Now when it's a nice day and I'm at work, I look forward to nothing more than pulling the Vette out of the garage, dropping the top, and hitting the road.

OP, buy a Vette. You won't be sorry.

Last edited by RichMattB; 03-18-2012 at 08:48 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Mr V 33
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
If it's the car you want and you believe it is a reasonable financial decision for your circumstances, then why not ?
I agree too...
Old 03-18-2012, 09:03 PM
andy82
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Spaceman57
So I'm looking into buying a used corvette for around 35k. But I've been having second thoughts recently as people are saying your only 21 your to young to own a car like that. I don't get it, if I can afford it I should go for it right? I already have a 2003 jetta thats my dd so this would be my toy to keep for a very long time if not forever.
Buy it, my daughter just bought her first C6 and is 22. She loves it!
Old 03-18-2012, 10:55 PM
C3 Vette Fan
Pro

Originally Posted by andy82
Buy it, my daughter just bought her first C6 and is 22. She loves it!
My 16 yr old sister loves her new C6...
Old 03-18-2012, 10:57 PM
carjo
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

It confuses me that a number of members of this forum (which I always thought to be comprised of Corvette enthusiasts - you know, people who love/like Vettes) have actually said that the OP is too young to get one.

Age has nothing to do with it. The Corvette is a sports car known for its performance and image....and there are people of all ages who appreciate it for what it is. So if any of them want to get one, and have the ability to do so, then regardless of their age, that's absolutely appropriate. I would have thought that fewer people here would be critical about the age of a purchaser of one. Rather, we should applaud their good sense. Go figure!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:16 AM
djmano
Instructor

Now when it's a nice day and I'm at work, I look forward to nothing more than pulling the Vette out of the garage, dropping the top, and hitting the road.
i think that alone would make any payment worthwhile.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:22 AM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default You want to impress middle age men or people your own age?

I haven't biased myself by first reading what everyone else is saying. I expect they are giving you encouragement.

Here's my advice: At your age you should figure out why you think you need a Corvette to prop up your self esteem. Good grief young man...you're 21.....super strong and healthy. You don't need a car designed for a 40+ gold chain wearing pot bellied over the hill guy now do you?

Use the money to do things, go places, and have experiences. At your age you don't need a prop like older guys do.

You will probably be laughed at by your peers and approved of by every 40-60+ year old man who sees you in your car. Is that what you want? That is what you will get.

Stick with the cars that people your age are used to and enjoy. It will get you more respects and more chicks.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:52 AM
djmano
Instructor

Stick with the cars that people your age are used to and enjoy. It will get you more respects and more chicks.
tell that to the 2 cute blondes to high beamed me when i was leaving work a few weeks ago
Old 03-20-2012, 10:59 AM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

I had my first one at 22 years old or so. I sacrificed a lot for the car. Don't let others dictate how to l ive your life. However, be sure to consider the advice from folks; lots of people have been your age.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:01 AM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by OregonC6
I haven't biased myself by first reading what everyone else is saying. I expect they are giving you encouragement.

Here's my advice: At your age you should figure out why you think you need a Corvette to prop up your self esteem. Good grief young man...you're 21.....super strong and healthy. You don't need a car designed for a 40+ gold chain wearing pot bellied over the hill guy now do you?

Use the money to do things, go places, and have experiences. At your age you don't need a prop like older guys do.

You will probably be laughed at by your peers and approved of by every 40-60+ year old man who sees you in your car. Is that what you want? That is what you will get.

Maybe your car was designed for a 40+ year old but I've owned vettes since I was young and at 30 years old and the best shape of my life, the car is for me, not others to see me in.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:04 AM
mgtr
Pro

I had my first Corvette at 17. Coincidentally, it took me only 17 days of ownership to wrap it around a tree, totally destroying it. So I replaced it with another Corvete which I drove without incident for over 3 years.
Moral: 17 is too young for your first Corvette, but not too young for your second Corvette!!
Old 03-20-2012, 11:13 AM
C3 Vette Fan
Pro

Originally Posted by spinkick
Maybe your car was designed for a 40+ year old but I've owned vettes since I was young and at 30 years old and the best shape of my life, the car is for me, not others to see me in.
Why respond to members that rarely have anything good to say about the Corvette, other CF members or much of anything? Some members are angry, and unhappy with their lives that like to spread their anger or sad existence off on to others. A waste of time...

Get notified of new replies

To Too young for a corvette?

Old 03-20-2012, 11:43 AM
dreday 004
Intermediate

You can be 50 and still be too young for a corvette. its all in the mindset. Just like anything in life if you want to spend your money on it go for it, unless they are cosigning or paying for the car they have nothing to say. Whats next you are too young to own a house?
Old 03-20-2012, 11:50 AM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C3 Vette Fan
Why respond to members that rarely have anything good to say about the Corvette, other CF members or much of anything? Some members are angry, and unhappy with their lives that like to spread their anger or sad existence off on to others. A waste of time...
Some guys just want to see the world burn! haha
Old 03-20-2012, 12:00 PM
C3 Vette Fan
Pro

Originally Posted by spinkick
Some guys just want to see the world burn! haha
You will notice a few members on this forum are very negative towards the Corvette, other members and people or life in general. They are the type of people to steer clear from on the forum and on the streets.. Not the type of people you want as neighbors or just about anything other then the trash collector..

Quick Reply: Too young for a corvette?