C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Younger generation like corvette?
Yes
82.68%
No
17.32%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

What do the younger generation think of the corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 10:35 AM
C3 Vette Fan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure most of us that own the Corvette have seen younger people with their eye's bulge out when we drive by, get the thumbs up or cool car comments. I know I have several times.

The issue is the perceived older buyer that comes into play that has people mistakenly believe the younger crowd does not like the Corvette. The Corvette is not only expensive to buy it is expensive to insure for younger buyers. It also does not have a back seat. Yes the Corvette now has more competition then ever before but it is still a very wanted car by people of almost all ages.

The Corvette will always be something the younger people want long after we are all gone.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:09 PM
FCastleRC51
2nd Gear

I am 31 and just got my first Corvette about 3 weeks ago (08 base 17.5k miles). I have been an enthusiast since i was 4 and there was nothing else i was going to spend money on. I let one of my best friends drive it on the way back from the dealership, which was 3 states away. He is 6 years younger that I am and a big VW guy. After driving mine he is ready to dump the VW and is trying to figure out how to get his own Vette. I think if people from the "younger" generation really get exposed to the cars they will be hooked.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:42 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Originally Posted by laconiajack
Unlike when I was a teen, many of today's youngsters really aren't into cars, especially high performance cars. Computers games and texting, yes. Corvettes, no.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:11 PM
PittMD1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a couple of grandsons down in TX that go bonkers when they see a corvette. They know we have one on order and the oldest of the two (4 years old) asks his mom where grandpa's corvette lives.....
Old 03-06-2012, 04:16 PM
5W30
Racer

34 years old and just placed my order for a new GS.

I happen to really like the styling of the Corvette but more than that it really boils down to the fact that as a performance automotive enthusiast there is just no better value in a hot car.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:17 PM
gr1634
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Younger Crowd

When I had my C5 there was a young kid in the neighborhood who everytime I drove by him stood up and saluted and made some comment like "I love your car" or "I salute your car." When I was 17 had Mom ready to sign for me to get a black 62 vert - bother totaled my 57 ford trade in 2 days before I was to pick it up. Didn't have the cash to cover the down payment - so...still have not forgiven him!!
Old 03-06-2012, 04:19 PM
619grappler
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in my early 30's and love my Z06. I have a 14 year old daughter and her and all her friends love the "batmobile". My son's 10 and he says he wants a Corvette when he grows up.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:03 PM
Jeff Blue 2005
Cruising

Default Turns heads

I'm in my 30's and have loved them since a neighbor had a mint '66 in his garage as a kid. I've had my 2005 since 2007. My 3 year old asks "daddy, when can we ride in fast blue car again" so I am teaching the truely youngest generation right!
Old 03-06-2012, 06:03 PM
07atomic
Instructor

Whats young? I am 40 is that young? Have been around corvettes all my life my father had a 68 big block convert sold it bought a 71 a bit later still has it bought a 92 black rose convert about 10-12 years ago that he still has when I was able to buy one I bought the 07 atomic orange 3lt and have really enjoyed the car. I have a 90 ford mustang gt that I bought new it's a play toy not much of a street car anymore have a 99 Porsche boxster which is the wife's toy 79 Malibu super pro drag car among other crap but I love my vette !!!!!
Old 03-06-2012, 06:12 PM
C3 Vette Fan
Pro

Originally Posted by laconiajack
Unlike when I was a teen, many of today's youngsters really aren't into cars, especially high performance cars. Computers games and texting, yes. Corvettes, no.
Not sure what best describes the above mindset. Absurd, ridiculous or just plain out of touch.

Yes, kids are into texting, computers and computer games. But they also need to get around and still want to impress the girls. Younger guys/kids are really into to cars and will always be. Most younger guys would kill for a high performance car. However we should all be thankful most cannot afford them.

Many people get the above mindset because they read about the demographics of the Corvette buyer. This thought process quickly forgets how expensive a Corvette has become, and just how expensive it is to properly insure a 2 seat 400+ HP car made of fiberglass of all things.

I do not care about how safe the Corvette really is. Because perception is reality. Not too many sane parents are going to hand a younger kid of theirs the keys to a Corvette. It may or may not be safer then the Camaro or Mustang. But most would perceive the car not as safe. Not to mention where to put your friends.

Since video games were brought up, many video games have the Corvette in the game itself. To include them all would take too much time. But the popular ones like Gran Turismo & Shift have Corvettes in them. And Xbox 360 has a game actually called Corvette.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:38 PM
MVPJEFF106
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

I guess I'm part of this younger generation you speak of.....
I just turned 30... in November ordered my 2012 Centennial Z06. Never was into vette's. Didn't "Not" like them, just never really did anything for me. I was talked into looking at them by my dad while looking at used Gallardo's. Found the Centennial and had to have it. All of the others have been growing on me now that I've had a chance to absorb all that they have to offer.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:52 PM
C5North
Race Director

Location: HOPE is the first step on the road to disappointment.
Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

My 15 year old niece and 12 year old nephew LOVE the Vette.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:16 PM
szaro1
Advanced

Hey guys, 25 years old here and I've had my fare share of cars. Started off at 17 with a 2000 jeep grand Cherokee Laredo, then went to an 04 Mazda 6s 5 door, then to an 05 grand Cherokee limited, then to an 08 g35s sedan 6mt, and now to my 07 z06. I first found love for the Corvette while working at the dealership I am currently employed at. We mostly wholesale high end exotics at different auctions in the north east, and occasionally will retail cars on eBay. None the less I am the shop manager and am permitted to drive pretty much anything reasonable home for the evening/weekend. It just so happened I had to pick up an 06 Z06 from a dealership we buy out of late one Saturday afternoon and decided to take it home until Monday. That was the weekend that changed my outlook on the Corvette. I have driven pretty much everything, Lamborghini's, Ferrari, all sorts of Porsche's, Maserati's, you name it. The Corvette is 1000% the best bang for the buck! At first a few of my friends gave me the "little early for a mid life crisis", and after taking them for a ride after an ECS stage 2 performance pkg + Corsa, there views drastically changed too.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:19 PM
68birdls1
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got my first vette at 24.. 01 Z06. When I was 25 I got a 06 Z06, and now that im 26 I just got a different one lol. Every where I go I have younger people wanting me to do burnouts.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:38 PM
rider9195
Advanced

I am 16 at the moment and being in high school, the kids with the little 4 bangers have the mindset of my car is fast, loud, and the coolest. I hear it all the time. My dad has wanted a Corvette since he sold his Firebird about 30 years ago. When I was younger he would always talk about getting one, just not being able to find the perfect one he wanted. So I grew up with loving Corvettes. Since he has gotten one I love driving it and the couple of times he has picked me up or dropped me off most kids don't even notice it. It is kind of sad, they would notice a stock BMW though. Seriously. I say keep on driving and spread the Corvette generation.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:25 PM
Maypo
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

My 24 year old son loves them. Especially after the two day Z06 course at Bondourants.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:51 PM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

A lot of people my age dislike Corvettes. They're either not car people or import/euro snobs (also not really car people, but know enough to know that they'd rather spend more money for a slower 911 Carrera 2S). Part of that is the part of the country I live in, where status>value in most peoples' eyes.

Get notified of new replies

To What do the younger generation think of the corvette?

Old 03-06-2012, 09:00 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 619 Likes on 497 Posts

I'll tell you what, when I would ride in my dad's Vettes I knew it was the car to have. Which is buy I bought mine, not to brag or anything but you said, "younger generation," I'm 17. I've liked these cars ever since I can remeber. It's that most are into ricers, or into anything with big rims. Alot of kids love the new Camaros.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:04 PM
gotturns
Instructor

I'm 23 been waiting since I was 15 to get mine my dad has two I just got my 06 LMB Z06 love life now. Finally got one I'll never sell it!! Next is a C4 grand sport
Old 03-06-2012, 09:14 PM
MattLangley
Heel & Toe

I think it's not just age, but also different sub-cultures within the US in general.

Part of that being that with the internet age and massive importing of many cars many cultures around the world (including the ones here in the US) have blended with other world cultures more.

For example I saw someone post in here that younger people (20 or less) like the "mini" type of car... on the other hand when watching Top Gear UK (episodes from years ago, long before the US one) the Brit hosts talked about all having a mini at some point in growing up.

Different place, different culture, and a different concept of a cool younger car.

I'm 28 years old, growing up I always wanted a viper or a corvette personally, though I have also never driven a manual. I grew up in a big city so my culture was similar but different to those I know now who grew up in smaller cities or towns. Right now I live in the bay area and work in San Francisco and am planning to get a corvette in the next year or so (might wait for C7, might not) and I would hands down get an automatic, I have no desire to drive a manual car in San Francisco.

I know those around my age that love Porches and have since being young, I absolutely hate how they look and hate the "boy racer" type of cars too. On the other hand I work with someone who is only a couple years younger than me and they love that type of car.

I personally love american muscle and sports cars, I have a mustang and plan for it to be my "practical" car (with four seats) when I add a corvette.

On the other hand I love foreign cars as well, my dream machine *now* is actually a maserati... classy, luxury, and enough performance. On the other hand I know other americans who often insult foreign cars. Then of course there are those that insult american cars, etc...

In the end there are a lot of sub-cultures in the US that like all styles of cars... and I personally don't think video games make the current younger crowd dislike cars at all (I grew up on games and am now work in programming games & game technology) since racing games based on real and current cars are very popular... and I know from experience those games make those that play them in a game want the real thing. Its no different than the older way of car calendars and posters of the cars you won't have a for a long time if you ever do.

Quick Reply: What do the younger generation think of the corvette?