C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the Z06 survive in 2013?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 12:44 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
You don't think the ZR1 reaches out to a different income bracket than the Z06?
Did you not read the hundreds or thousands of posts by our members who said they would own one in a second, but they cannot afford one?
It certainly does require a different income bracket for most.

That's not we're discussing, is it?

We're got a few that are proclaiming as fact certain opinions, and certain clearly not factual info, but their conclusions are pure speculation.

There are a multitude of factors. No one can assign a particular weight to any without knowing more. That's all I'm saying.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:45 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
LOL, you're telling me to "face the facts". Like I asked Racer, is the fact that the ZR1 faster than the Z06 in dispute? I don't see anyone debating that.

Was it a factor? I've already answered that, we just don't know how much. Unless you can provided something factual, you're just speculating.

If I were you, I'd be outside:

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...South+Carolina
The fact is that the Z06 is no longer selling well! For whatever reason, doesn't really matter. Can we at least agree on that? And you're right...I should be outside!
Old 01-14-2012, 12:48 PM
Snakes & Arrows
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Supersonic GS
The fact is that the Z06 is no longer selling well! For whatever reason, doesn't really matter. Can we at least agree on that? And you're right...I should be outside!
The reasons are very obvious to just about anyone. At least the numbers cannot be denied.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:50 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
It certainly does require a different income bracket for most.

That's not we're discussing, is it?

We're got a few that are proclaiming as fact certain opinions, and certain clearly not factual info, but their conclusions are pure speculation.

There are a multitude of factors. No one can assign a particular weight to any without knowing more. That's all I'm saying.
Ok, I just thought you were making a statement as you kept saying the Z06 outsold the ZR1. I couldn't understand for the life of me why you would keep posting this, because it is obvious why, just like the lesser priced models of Corvettes outsold the Z06, more people in that income bracket that can afford the cheaper models. Kind of a non arguable point, I would think.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:52 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Supersonic GS
It's also a fact that NONE of the C6's are "selling well" compared to earlier years. All the models are caught up in this fact.

I took exception to your statement as being absolutely false:

"In my mind, I think it would make more sense to discontinue the worst selling model (Z06) but offer it's drivetrain in it's best selling models (GS Coupe and Convertible) as an option pkg."

It is not the "worst selling model". That is a fact. That's it.

I'm about to get outside too, the weather here is supposed to be in the mid 60's today.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:54 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Ok, I just thought you were making a statement as you kept saying the Z06 outsold the ZR1. I couldn't understand for the life of me why you would keep posting this, because it is obvious why, just like the lesser priced models of Corvettes outsold the Z06, more people in that income bracket that can afford the cheaper models. Kind of a non arguable point, I would think.
It's definitely a "non arguable point". The only reason I stated it was that GS Supersonic was stating the Z06 was the worst selling model, and that it should be discontinued. That is clearly false.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:01 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Why all the Z06 hate? If some of you want to play the "what have you done for me lately" card, then the ZR1 has sold less in the past MY and less overall in general then the Z06 since 2009. Those are the facts right there.....

Oh and BTW in that ZR1 section thread about the 427 vert, we already have someone who will be trading in the ZR1 for the 427 vert.......Racer said it wasn't gonna happen, but it will
Old 01-14-2012, 01:04 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
Why all the Z06 hate? If some of you want to play the "what have you done for me lately" card, then the ZR1 has sold less in the past MY and less overall in general then the Z06 since 2009. Those are the facts right there.....

Oh and BTW in that ZR1 section thread about the 427 vert, we already have someone who will be trading in the ZR1 for the 427 vert.......Racer said it wasn't gonna happen, but it will

Not ONE guy , oh my, ONE guy and it actualy was a brother of a guy who isn't on the forum and the guy who posted was a Z06 owner or something.......
Old 01-14-2012, 01:10 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by IRS-Cop
I absolutely agree with you on this. In 2006 I dreamed of owning a Z06 one day. Now I wouldn't consider a Z06 because of how many they produced early on and how bad they depreciated. Now my goal is to own the ZR1. I hope to sell my 08 Coupe this spring and pick up a slightly used ZR1.
Huh? You wouldn't buy a Z06 used because of the depreciation? So are gonna buy a used ZR1 instead??

If you care about depreciation your best move would be an older 2006/2007 Z06 with average mileage. Those can be found in the mid-upper 30's and have taken much of the depreciation percentage hit already.

Now the ZR1, get ready to really lose your shorts in depreciation! 2009's were 120k+ new, today they can be found for mid-low 80's, one on that auction site is priced ar 76k buy it now.......that's a 40k hit and it'll get worse especially once the C7 is released. If depreciation is a factor, you'll lose a fortune on the ZR1.

Not that it's totally a bad thing though, depreciation also means as a used car buyer you get a better deal and still own the car you want. But the bottom on a C6 ZR1 will most likely end up in the 40's-50's.

Last edited by Silver05GTO; 01-14-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:12 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Not ONE guy , oh my, ONE guy and it actualy was a brother of a guy who isn't on the forum and the guy who posted was a Z06 owner or something.......
Well you said it won't happen, I'm telling you it will. Sorry but it's truth, not sure why you have such a problem with the natural course of car sales

Here's the post:
"I am not a convertible guy myself,but my brother is getting the new 427 vert to replace his ZR1.
He does not pretend to be a race car driver on a track so he says the 427 would fit the street driving that he does just fine."

Last edited by Silver05GTO; 01-14-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:25 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,457 Likes on 2,274 Posts

I like the GS. And the Z. And the 427 Vert. And the ZR. GM should keep them all.

Have owned 3 of those four.

Also like pheasant that I've shot, cooked low in a crockpot all day, stripped off the bone after that and layered into a nice Lasagna.

Oh - I like pie too.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:34 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Well you said it won't happen, I'm telling you it will. Sorry but it's truth, not sure why you have such a problem with the natural course of car sales

Here's the post:
"I am not a convertible guy myself,but my brother is getting the new 427 vert to replace his ZR1.
He does not pretend to be a race car driver on a track so he says the 427 would fit the street driving that he does just fine."
Thanks for quoting that, backs up what I said.

But more importantly I just quoted what might go down as the most rediculous statement of the year, I was so afraid you were going to realize what you said a change it before I could get on my computer.

So, the natural course of car sales is to trade DOWN to a vehicle with less top speed, less 0-60, less 1/4 mile performance, less track ability, less hp, less torque and less on the food chain?

Really? You see, I thought the natural course of car sales is to move up the food chain...you see, what I see is manufactures IMPROVING their cars models.......... more hp, quicker top speeds, more torque, quicker 0-60's. Here is an example, Corvette is just coming out with a new convertible, yes they are, it is an big upgrade to the current convertible, it is faster, quicker, more hp, more tq. Why did they do this, quite simply because it is the "natural course of car sales", to offer bigger, better, faster......... that gets people motivated to UPGRADE.
You need to stop comparing the 427 convertible and the Z06 to the ZR1, which is the undisputed, quickest, fastest most powerful, Corvette built to date and perhaps forever, who knows.

I don't even think the PILOT will back you on this, you are the lone wolf in this failing argument. You need to go back debating against the GS, at least you were only failing them a little instead of making a fool of yourself.
AND YOU, have yourself a great day.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:44 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Thanks for quoting that, backs up what I said.

But more importantly I just quoted what might go down as the most rediculous statement of the year, I was so afraid you were going to realize what you said a change it before I could get on my computer.

So, the natural course of car sales is to trade DOWN to a vehicle with less top speed, less 0-60, less 1/4 mile performance, less track ability, less hp, less torque and less on the food chain?

Really? You see, I thought the natural course of car sales is to move up the food chain...you see, what I see is manufactures IMPROVING their cars models.......... more hp, quicker top speeds, more torque, quicker 0-60's. Here is an example, Corvette is just coming out with a new convertible, yes they are, it is an big upgrade to the current convertible, it is faster, quicker, more hp, more tq. Why did they do this, quite simply because it is the "natural course of car sales", to offer bigger, better, faster......... that gets people motivated to UPGRADE.
You need to stop comparing the 427 convertible and the Z06 to the ZR1, which is the undisputed, quickest, fastest most powerful, Corvette built to date and perhaps forever, who knows.

I don't even think the PILOT will back you on this, you are the lone wolf in this failing argument. You need to go back debating against the GS, at least you were only failing them a little instead of making a fool of yourself.
AND YOU, have yourself a great day.

Why are you so paranoid about the 427 vert?? It will offer something the ZR1/Z06 don't, it's a little slower, big deal the people buying this car know that are giving up a bit of performance for a very unique Corvette which offers a drop top.

For the ragtop fan, this car is a winner and sure to take sales away from the ZR1
Old 01-14-2012, 01:56 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

... For the ragtop fan, this car is a winner and sure to take sales away from the ZR1
Maybe some buyers will think/act this way, but not necessarily all. Suspect there are ragtop fans out there who have neither bought a Z06 nor a ZR1 because of the fixed roof, but want more than the LS3 engine.

Now with the 2013 427 'Vert, they have a model they "prefer" in a similar price segment. This could bring them back
into the market. And despite the speculation about pricing elsewhere, many buyers of this new model could easily get
the 2LT version with no other add-ons, and skip the "special" 60th Anniversary color/badging, too.

Such buyer would arguably have everything they really need in a car having 505 hp & a 'vert...
and maybe get it for $75K--$80K (?).

just something to consider...

Last edited by Gary '09 C6; 01-14-2012 at 02:20 PM. Reason: sp
Old 01-14-2012, 02:26 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
Maybe some buyers will think/act this way, but not necessarily all. Suspect there are ragtop fans out there who have neither bought a Z06 nor a ZR1 because of the fixed roof, but want more than the LS3 engine.

Now with the 2013 427 'Vert, they have a model they "prefer" in a similar price segment. This could bring them back
into the market. And despite the speculation about pricing elsewhere, many buyers of this new model could easily get
the 2LT version with no other add-ons, and skip the "special" 60th Anniversary color/badging, too.

Such buyer would arguably have everything they really need in a car having 505 hp & a 'vert...

I've seen many posts in which someone stated they don't have interest in either the Z06/ZR1 due to the hardtop, but make due with the LS3 but plan on modding it up.

The 427 vert or "Z06 vert" gives a buyer something a little more special/unique/faster then a run of the mill GS or base vert. It will have appeal for many drop top fans.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:50 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Well that is something to consider.

I thought that if you wanted the steel frame drop top version of the 427 equipped Corvette, that you had to go the whole nine yards with the equivalent of 3LZ or 4LZ and all of the trimmings.

But you're sayin that you don't have to get it maxxed out??
Old 01-14-2012, 11:12 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

apparently not...

the GM press release posted by the dealer(s) here on the CF says the 427 'Vert will be available in 2LT, 3LT, & 4LT trims,
in all available exterior & interior colors. The 60th Anniv. package (white w/blue interior) is an option available throughout
the entire C6 line-up (similar to the CE package for 2012).

If dealers want to sell this new model, I think it would make sense to order them equipped as inexpensively as possible,
maybe only a few with the 60th Anniv. package.

If the base price of the 427 'Vert (w/2LT) starts at about $8K above the Z06 w/2LZ (to account for the
'vert, MSRC, and the 19/20 wheels & tires), I could see examples of the new model with MSRP in the mid-80's ?

Fitchner already posted his dealership will aggressively discount...others will follow.

This is the same price range as a nicely-equipped Z06, but not with everything available...

Last edited by Gary '09 C6; 01-14-2012 at 11:17 PM. Reason: sp

Get notified of new replies

To Will the Z06 survive in 2013?

Old 01-14-2012, 11:23 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

.... I could see examples of the new model with MSRP in the mid-80's ?

Fitchner already posted his dealership will aggressively discount...others will follow.

This is the same price range as a nicely-equipped Z06, but not with everything available...
At that price point, they might sell a lot of them.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:35 PM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

The discussion about the survivability of the Z06 is a moot point. The GS/Z06/ZR1 will dissappear next year. You guys realize that the upon the C7 release you wont see a Z06 version for at least three years. There may or may not ever be a C7 ZR1 or GS version. Only time will tell. The C5 never had a ZR1 or a GS version, but the C4 did. If the pattern continues then the C7 will be skipped over for those versions.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:16 AM
IRS-Cop
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Huh? You wouldn't buy a Z06 used because of the depreciation? So are gonna buy a used ZR1 instead??

If you care about depreciation your best move would be an older 2006/2007 Z06 with average mileage. Those can be found in the mid-upper 30's and have taken much of the depreciation percentage hit already.

Now the ZR1, get ready to really lose your shorts in depreciation! 2009's were 120k+ new, today they can be found for mid-low 80's, one on that auction site is priced ar 76k buy it now.......that's a 40k hit and it'll get worse especially once the C7 is released. If depreciation is a factor, you'll lose a fortune on the ZR1.

Not that it's totally a bad thing though, depreciation also means as a used car buyer you get a better deal and still own the car you want. But the bottom on a C6 ZR1 will most likely end up in the 40's-50's.
My real point is that I wouldn't buy a Z06 now because they've built like 27K of them so now everyone has one because of how low the depreciated. Vs. the ZR1 will be built out to 4,000 to 5,000 units total so they should ultimately hold their resale value somewhat better and eventually start to go back up faster IF the C7 ZR1 turns out to be a dud and not quite the level performance of the C6.

Quick Reply: Will the Z06 survive in 2013?