C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to Own My First Corvette Over a Mitsubishi Evo X Rally Car

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 03:09 PM
kiteboarder
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to Own My First Corvette Over a Mitsubishi Evo X Rally Car

Hello. I've been lurking around here for a while, and I might have posted here and there. This is my official first post.

I'm a young car enthusiast, and I'm only now starting to get into the cars that I like. I've always been a fan of Corvettes. It runs in the family. My father has owned 4 of them. All of them C3's.

I've been researching cars for the last couple of months and I'm down to 2...

1. Used C6 Corvette
2. New Mitsubishi Evolution X GSR

I'm running a thread over at the Evo forum. Surprisingly, while I've gotten more "buy Evo" than "buy Corvette" responses, there are plenty of people there that are overall car enthusiasts and love Corvettes. So, I've gotten my fair share of Corvette recommendations there too. The Evo X is commonly used as a rally car, alongside the Subarus. I have some interest in rally, but I wouldn't start with a new Evo. But, the Evo does give me the possibility to be used for rally in maybe 4-5 years. Who knows.

Anyway, I'm still thinking about it, as both cars have very strong points. Very strong pros and cons too. I even drew up a spreadsheet to compare pros and cons, and the Evo edges out the Corvette ever so slightly, but I still prefer a 'vette.

In the next couple of weeks I'll be putting the money together and selling my current car. I'd love to get you guys' input as I'll have about a month to get ready for the purchase and do more research.

I'm looking for a driver's car, that I can use a couple of times a week. I won't be working on the car for the first year or so, but I'm looking to make a few mods and use it as a track car for both circuit and Auto X. I'm not too interested in drag. I'll have a pickup truck to take care of the things the Corvette cannot do.

Here are the basic requirements in order of priority:

1. Manual
2. 2005-2009
3. Never wrecked
4. No convertibles
5. Always garaged
6. Mileage between 30K - 60K
7. Preferred colors in order of preference - Yellow, Red, White, Orange, Charcoal

Things I like about the Evo X are:
1. AWD
2. Amazing handling
3. Brembo brakes
4. Dirt and snow ability
5. Slightly smaller size
6. 4 doors and 5 seats
7. Trunk.
8. Holds value well, but harder to resell.
9. Rare

However, I'm not a huge fan of the tuner look and the fact that a new one is $35K and I only want a new one of those. I currently own a Mustang (wife's car). I wouldn't track that, as it's her's and it's automatic. However, one nice thing about the Evo is that it feels smaller than the Mustang. The Corvette feels a lot more "Mustang" than it does "Evo" of course. I sort of like the nimble feel of the Evo. But, I can't say yet. I haven't driven both cars enough to really know.

The Corvette edges the Evo X in:

1. Always my dream car
2. Better looks
3. More mature image
4. More power and easier to bolt on more
5. Less insurance premium than the Evo.
6. It's a Corvette!

However, it's less practical, I can't afford a brand new one, holds value less than the Evo X and while I might still have a pickup truck to go along with the Evo, with the Corvette it's almost mandatory that I have a truck. (In the Evo I can go up the mountains in snow, and put roof racks for bikes and surfboards.)

Let me know what you guy think and what advice you can give me on the Corvettes. Things like:

1. What should I watch out for...
2. Common pitfalls

You can even offer yours for sale if you want. Or recommend other's.

I ran the Corvette vs Evo thing by Matt Farrah of the Smoking Tire. Of course he recommended a Corvette, he has one. But he did give me a couple of good reasons for it.

Thanks
Old 01-09-2012, 04:29 PM
JSB11GS
Intermediate

I had a lot of different options for cars when I bought my last Corvette but I chose the Corvette GS over the competition. Here are just a few reasons why:

-Designed in America, Built in America -- using American labor.
-Coupe w/ Removable Roof Panel
-Can be serviced by any GM dealer in the US
-Low Maintenance Costs
-Feels like it's on rails in the curves
-Looks awesome

There are many other reasons too. I've never driven the Evo but I don't think you'll regret your Corvette purchase.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:32 PM
kiteboarder
Intermediate

Oh right! I forgot to list the removable in my list of pros. I like that. The Evo has a fixed aluminum roof.

The American designed and built is a big plus too. However, I'm buying a used one. Not sure how much help to the economy I'll be.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:43 PM
MisterMidlifeCrisis
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I can only add that at at Spring Mountain, where they have a fleet of Corvettes of practically every flavor for their driving schools, the Corvettes are run every day on the track and do not break. They run them stock, only changes being to the tires and brake pads for which they are sponsored. Otherwise, they run them for extended lapping sessions in temps as high as 110 degrees F., and as cold as around freezing. The Corvettes take all of that and don't creak or become loose feeling. Don't know that can be said of many other cars.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:49 PM
sjohnson2615
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Try renting the Corvette through Hertz if they still do it.Get some real seat time and then make your decision.

Another member here called "Racer" is probably the expert on how the Corvette is more "Mustang like" .If I am not mistaken,I think his thoughts are along those same lines.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:27 PM
kiteboarder
Intermediate

@MisterMidlifeCrisis - Glad to know they are reliable under track circumstances. I like the idea of buying used as I'm not too keen on tracking a brand new car. I guess if my pockets were deeper, I wouldn't mind. But at least I'm not looking for a garage queen. I want to drive mine.

@sjohnson2615 - Great idea! Before considering a Corvette or Evo X, I was interested in a new pickup truck. I was going to rent a Tacoma for a weekend to get a good feel for it. I should do the same for the Vette.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:02 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

with your reference to snow, it'd help if you put in where you live. as to your inclinations, I'd say do as said above, rent and drive one even if it's auto and you'll buy a manual.

next, be practical on what you want on the car. vettes come from basic to semi-luxo. and semi luxo may be ok twice a week, but will hurt some on those weekends when you go to the track or autox.

since you've been lurking here awhile, what do you think? is it a base coupe, Z51 suspension, F55, 1, 2, 3, 4LT, nav, for you? give us your impressions of reading autocross/racing section, C6Tech, C6 Gen, etc.

Last edited by AORoads; 01-09-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:43 PM
Who Needs Turbo
Instructor

I went from a 2007 Subaru WRX to my 2008 Corvette Coupe, so I've got a little experience with your dilemma! Granted, the Evo X is more powerful, but I feel they're close enough. I never tracked the car, but used it as a daily driver for 63,000 miles.

What I loved about having the WRX:
  1. Screwing around drifting in fresh snow
  2. The styling of the 2007 WRX in World Rally Blue
  3. AWD meant you could push super hard through corners without worrying about spinning out

Here's how I talked myself into selling the WRX:
  1. There's only snow on the ground 2 or 3 weeks out of the year in this part of Iowa since they clear the roads quickly.
  2. On dry & wet roads, the AWD forces you to accelerate gently from a stop so you don't destroy the drivetrain (too much grip!)
  3. 95% of my driving is solo, so the extra seats were a waste (have RAV4 for family duty)
  4. C6 styling is incredible
  5. C6 has way more comfy seats than a WRX (not sure about Evos)
  6. Corvette has a more useable, larger trunk!
  7. To get the same HP from my WRX by modding it would have killed my gas mileage, while the Vette has 30mpg highway already.
  8. Heads Up Display is sweet (have a 3LT)
  9. Clear roof gives you a great view
Old 01-09-2012, 06:52 PM
kiteboarder
Intermediate

Thanks for the responses so far. I'l go through through and reply.

But let me point out that I live in SoCal and the Corvette will see ZERO snow. I mentioned snow earlier, because if I had the Evo I can take it up to Big Bear and Mammoth on snowboarding trips. But if I buy the Corvette, I'll have an older 4x4 truck for the snow trips.

I'm thinking... Base Corvette, with options packages only dependent on price. It's my first Corvette, so I'm not too picky yet. I can't really afford a Z06, because I'm looking to put about $8,000 - $10,000 down and finance the rest. To afford a Z06, I'd have to go older and I likely won't be able to get financing for it.

To give you an example, I drive a 2007 Base LS2 (LT3 I think) with 55,000 miles or so. It had SatNav. Sticker was about $28,000. Of course, to negotiate down. But that's a good example.

I don't mind it being base as I eventually intend to work on it. Replace the seats, maybe coilovers, etc.

I still need to do a whole lot of reading around here... Same with the track and auto x section. But one thing at a time
Old 01-09-2012, 06:58 PM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't own either, but if was deciding I would choose the Vette just because it's your dream car. You only live once. It's an American icon. My friends would go for the Evo, because their huge into tuner cars and ricers, however, if I was deciding Vette all day every day.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:13 PM
kiteboarder
Intermediate

Edit: Yes, the one I drove must have been an LT3 - It also had a head up display. I thought the car was sweet.

It did feel heavy and big, like I said earlier, like a Mustang. But, I can't judge the car based on a 10 minute drive. The seats are OK, but the Recaros in the Evo are amazing. In the end, if I mod the Corvette, I'm replacing the seats anyway - But it's like 2 or $3K or so for Recaros.

There are a number of things I consider...

After 2 years of use and 50k miles an Evo X sells for $25,000. That's $10,000 depreciation. However, I put only 20k miles in 2 years. So, I'm guessing $28,000 after two years. That's $7,000 in depreciation in 2 years. Not bad at all.

- The wife prefers the Evo and so does my son. (Although I'll have ZERO trouble selling him on the Vette!).

I'm not big on the Japanese tuner look. However, I think the Evo X is an amazing looking car. Not as nice as a Corvette, but impressive to me nonetheless.

Still, I don't want to turn this into a Vette vs Evo thread. I've weighed the odds, and honestly, I reckon I can go blindfolded and buy either car and neither would be a mistake. This after weeks of research. Just a different way of doing things. Like I said earlier, there is a compelling list of pros and cons to both cars... and I can't go wrong either way.

I might post the list of pros and cons here a little later.

Just want to get a little feedback from the forum while I put the money together for the purchase.

I might have some questions on specific cars that I'm looking at for example. Or questions about financing used cars. etc etc. Most of the cars I've bought have been new or cash. I've only bought 2 used cars under financing.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:31 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by kiteboarder
Hello. I've been lurking around here for a while, and I might have posted here and there. This is my official first post.

I'm a young car enthusiast, and I'm only now starting to get into the cars that I like. I've always been a fan of Corvettes. It runs in the family. My father has owned 4 of them. All of them C3's.

I've been researching cars for the last couple of months and I'm down to 2...

1. Used C6 Corvette
2. New Mitsubishi Evolution X GSR

I'm running a thread over at the Evo forum. Surprisingly, while I've gotten more "buy Evo" than "buy Corvette" responses, there are plenty of people there that are overall car enthusiasts and love Corvettes. So, I've gotten my fair share of Corvette recommendations there too. The Evo X is commonly used as a rally car, alongside the Subarus. I have some interest in rally, but I wouldn't start with a new Evo. But, the Evo does give me the possibility to be used for rally in maybe 4-5 years. Who knows.

Anyway, I'm still thinking about it, as both cars have very strong points. Very strong pros and cons too. I even drew up a spreadsheet to compare pros and cons, and the Evo edges out the Corvette ever so slightly, but I still prefer a 'vette.

In the next couple of weeks I'll be putting the money together and selling my current car. I'd love to get you guys' input as I'll have about a month to get ready for the purchase and do more research.

I'm looking for a driver's car, that I can use a couple of times a week. I won't be working on the car for the first year or so, but I'm looking to make a few mods and use it as a track car for both circuit and Auto X. I'm not too interested in drag. I'll have a pickup truck to take care of the things the Corvette cannot do.

Here are the basic requirements in order of priority:

1. Manual
2. 2005-2009
3. Never wrecked
4. No convertibles
5. Always garaged
6. Mileage between 30K - 60K
7. Preferred colors in order of preference - Yellow, Red, White, Orange, Charcoal

Things I like about the Evo X are:
1. AWD
2. Amazing handling
3. Brembo brakes
4. Dirt and snow ability
5. Slightly smaller size
6. 4 doors and 5 seats
7. Trunk.
8. Holds value well, but harder to resell.
9. Rare

However, I'm not a huge fan of the tuner look and the fact that a new one is $35K and I only want a new one of those. I currently own a Mustang (wife's car). I wouldn't track that, as it's her's and it's automatic. However, one nice thing about the Evo is that it feels smaller than the Mustang. The Corvette feels a lot more "Mustang" than it does "Evo" of course. I sort of like the nimble feel of the Evo. But, I can't say yet. I haven't driven both cars enough to really know.

The Corvette edges the Evo X in:

1. Always my dream car
2. Better looks
3. More mature image
4. More power and easier to bolt on more
5. Less insurance premium than the Evo.
6. It's a Corvette!

However, it's less practical, I can't afford a brand new one, holds value less than the Evo X and while I might still have a pickup truck to go along with the Evo, with the Corvette it's almost mandatory that I have a truck. (In the Evo I can go up the mountains in snow, and put roof racks for bikes and surfboards.)

Let me know what you guy think and what advice you can give me on the Corvettes. Things like:

1. What should I watch out for...
2. Common pitfalls

You can even offer yours for sale if you want. Or recommend other's.

I ran the Corvette vs Evo thing by Matt Farrah of the Smoking Tire. Of course he recommended a Corvette, he has one. But he did give me a couple of good reasons for it.

Thanks
I was in this exact dilemma about a year ago.

I love taking gravel roads and torn up backroads at high speeds so the evo is very tempting to me. Heres the thing. Yeah you dont get a dct setup nor do you get awd and brembos, but you get a car that can much higher speeds than the evo. I run at 150 to 160+ mph almost every time I drive the car (180 once), and thats not even pushing it to its end limit. With the evo youre maxing out at 150 - 155 after flooring it for a long while. While the evo is awesome in slow areas and crappy terrain (and is great if you want a quick car and extra room), it doesnt compare to the corvette if you want something really fast.

Remember youve got 400+ hp and immediate truckloads of torque from a big displacement motor vs the 4 cyl turbo motor. Also from my experience having to worry about a turbo blowing out and having to spend several minutes cooling a car down after every hard run (or just trying to get somewhere quickly) is a pain in the ***.

Btw if youre not worried about getting past 160mph, you might want to look into a used lotus elise or exige as they are also in that same price range...
buyer guide:http://www.corvettefever.com/techart...e/viewall.html

good luck!
Old 01-09-2012, 07:32 PM
BornSUPERCHARGED
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These cars aren't in the same league, not just in displacement and power but also styling, heritage and namesake. If you had to ask the internet about mitsubishi vs a 'vette, you really should just go with the the evo.

You said your wife and son both want the Evo - while the son might be easily persuaded you need to keep in mind your wife's opinion and family's size... obviously, if you get the 'vette, it'll be one of them riding with you and never both of them riding with you. Get the Evo and make your wife happy.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:43 PM
rpm94
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are going to spend $35K for a new Evo, why not save your $$$ for a little while longer. You can get garage queen C6 Z06s now with low miles for $45K+.

No comparison between a base corvette and an Evo. At the prices of a new Evo, save a little more and go for 505hp!

Then mod the **** out of it down the road.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:49 PM
kiteboarder
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BornSUPERCHARGED
These cars aren't in the same league, not just in displacement and power but also styling, heritage and namesake. If you had to ask the internet about mitsubishi vs a 'vette, you really should just go with the the evo.

You said your wife and son both want the Evo - while the son might be easily persuaded you need to keep in mind your wife's opinion and family's size... obviously, if you get the 'vette, it'll be one of them riding with you and never both of them riding with you. Get the Evo and make your wife happy.
Interesting that you mention heritage...

Corvette's heritage we all know, no question there.

But the Evos have been around for a while now. Much longer than you might think. Lots and lots of racing, and lots and lots of wins and championships. Just a different type of car.

I'm not actually "getting on the internet" to ask "Evo vs vette" In my last post, I mentioned I know the pros and cons very well. Just thought I'd start a discussion about what's going through my mind in my decision making. I know it won't click with some, but if you read some of posts by other forum members, I must've hit the nail on the head as there are others who have been in a similar situation and shared accordingly.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:54 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by BornSUPERCHARGED

You know, kite, the above post does make some good points. And you either have to refute them, or state why not, if not to us at least to yourself.

Sure, I/we want you to get a Corvette, get your dream, fix it/modify it, etc., but if there are "practical realities" of your family, I think most on this forum would agree: do the right thing. There's a lotta people on here who had to wait for the Vette, and wait a long time until circumstances allowed them to have one. But I won't make any assumptions for you. You decide.

Me, I'd do everything I could to convince you, but you've got to do some reading and searching on here, CF, to find some of the answers to your questions. These are good cars and this is one forum that will help you all the way, as long as you participate and do some of the work, too. Like using the "search" function above in the red band, going to "advanced," inserting key words and finding the numerous threads extolling the virtues of the C6, documenting its "issues" and answering questions eerily similar to your own.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:55 PM
kiteboarder
Intermediate

Originally Posted by el es tu
I was in this exact dilemma about a year ago.

I love taking gravel roads and torn up backroads at high speeds so the evo is very tempting to me. Heres the thing. Yeah you dont get a dct setup nor do you get awd and brembos, but you get a car that can much higher speeds than the evo. I run at 150 to 160+ mph almost every time I drive the car (180 once), and thats not even pushing it to its end limit. With the evo youre maxing out at 150 - 155 after flooring it for a long while. While the evo is awesome in slow areas and crappy terrain (and is great if you want a quick car and extra room), it doesnt compare to the corvette if you want something really fast.

Remember youve got 400+ hp and immediate truckloads of torque from a big displacement motor vs the 4 cyl turbo motor. Also from my experience having to worry about a turbo blowing out and having to spend several minutes cooling a car down after every hard run (or just trying to get somewhere quickly) is a pain in the ***.

Btw if youre not worried about getting past 160mph, you might want to look into a used lotus elise or exige as they are also in that same price range...
buyer guide:http://www.corvettefever.com/techart...e/viewall.html

good luck!
You've got a good point here... But at this point in time, I'm really not looking to break 180 or whatever. I'm looking for a fun fast car that handles amazing on twisty roads and twisty tracks. The track driving will be to push myself and have fun - not to break any records. I don't think I'll be bothered if I can break 150 or not. But, then again, what do I know? I'll find that out over time.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking to Own My First Corvette Over a Mitsubishi Evo X Rally Car

Old 01-09-2012, 07:55 PM
BornSUPERCHARGED
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kiteboarder
Interesting that you mention heritage...

Corvette's heritage we all know, no question there.

But the Evos have been around for a while now. Much longer than you might think. Lots and lots of racing, and lots and lots of wins and championships. Just a different type of car.

I'm not actually "getting on the internet" to ask "Evo vs vette" In my last post, I mentioned I know the pros and cons very well. Just thought I'd start a discussion about what's going through my mind in my decision making. I know it won't click with some, but if you read some of posts by other forum members, I must've hit the nail on the head as there are others who have been in a similar situation and shared accordingly.
I don't consider 20 years (Wiki says first produced in 1992) heritage:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubi...ncer_Evolution

The demographic that comes to mind when you say the two cars, are totally different.. again just get the Evo X, you'll be happier, the wife will be happier, and you can always look at vettes again in the future
Old 01-09-2012, 08:01 PM
kiteboarder
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AORoads
You know, kite, the above post does make some good points. And you either have to refute them, or state why not, if not to us at least to yourself.

Sure, I/we want you to get a Corvette, get your dream, fix it/modify it, etc., but if there are "practical realities" of your family, I think most on this forum would agree: do the right thing. There's a lotta people on here who had to wait for the Vette, and wait a long time until circumstances allowed them to have one. But I won't make any assumptions for you. You decide.

Me, I'd do everything I could to convince you, but you've got to do some reading and searching on here, CF, to find some of the answers to your questions. These are good cars and this is one forum that will help you all the way, as long as you participate and do some of the work, too. Like using the "search" function above in the red band, going to "advanced," inserting key words and finding the numerous threads extolling the virtues of the C6, documenting its "issues" and answering questions eerily similar to your own.
Fair enough. You have a point. I'll read that again and reply...

I bought my wife a 2011 Mustang. That's the family car believe it or not. She loves it, the kids love it, they all ride comfortably. That tells you we don't think like typical families.

Having said that, the reason my wife prefers the Evo is because she enjoyed driving it and we can all share it just the same way we share the Mustang. Good point. I respect that.

She's fine if I get the Vette. She has her car and loves it. If I get the Vette, I'll still have a truck with space for the kids to go camping, the beach and snowboarding trips.

Thanks for all the advice BTW. I intend to spend quite of bit of time here... learning.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:05 PM
kiteboarder
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rpm94
If you are going to spend $35K for a new Evo, why not save your $$$ for a little while longer. You can get garage queen C6 Z06s now with low miles for $45K+.

No comparison between a base corvette and an Evo. At the prices of a new Evo, save a little more and go for 505hp!

Then mod the **** out of it down the road.
Woah! O.O It's photos like this what didn't let me pull the trigger on the Evo X the day I test drove it!

Quick Reply: Looking to Own My First Corvette Over a Mitsubishi Evo X Rally Car