C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to Own My First Corvette Over a Mitsubishi Evo X Rally Car

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 08:06 PM
chris12.8
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was in this dilemma also a year ago when i bought my vette the cost of insurance sent me the right direction.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:06 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

You're on my list of people to help out...deciding on your next Vette!
Old 01-09-2012, 08:29 PM
kiteboarder
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BornSUPERCHARGED
I don't consider 20 years (Wiki says first produced in 1992) heritage:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubi...ncer_Evolution

The demographic that comes to mind when you say the two cars, are totally different.. again just get the Evo X, you'll be happier, the wife will be happier, and you can always look at vettes again in the future
I appreciate the advice. Wife better be happy with her Mustang though. Haha

Originally Posted by chris12.8
I was in this dilemma also a year ago when i bought my vette the cost of insurance sent me the right direction.
Haha. Yes! Very true! I checked that already. Corvette plus pickup truck is still less insurance than the brand new Evo! I've got a perfect record, enough age and what not. They still quote me about $90 a month for the Evo. A $25K Vette plus $10K truck was about $72/mo.

Originally Posted by AORoads
You're on my list of people to help out...deciding on your next Vette!
Thank you! As you can see... We like our cars.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:23 AM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Throwing another option out there (sorry to muddy the water! ), have you checked out the Rally Fighter by Local Motors? Vette LS3 power plant in an off road, street legal, tube chassis vehicle. Pricey though. Would love to have one, someday...
Old 01-10-2012, 12:31 AM
Z51ForFun
Cruising

I'm 29 (for a few more days, anyway) and I bought my 05' Z51 manual right after I turned 26. Was single at the time, now married with a baby on the way. I have loved driving my Vette with my wife and am kind of bummed that the only time we will drive in it together soon will be date nights. However, other than getting to have your fam in the car with you, the rest of your pros and cons seem nearly inconsequential (not just to me, but also for you and your needs, as described here). I think there may be a slight chance that someday you'll see a C6 out the windshield of your Evo and feel a tinge of regret. I feel that the only way the opposite would happen is if you saw an Evo and weren't in your Vette because it's only two seats. Truth be told, though, you would never really get to have too much "sports car" kind of fun in either ride with your family because you just can't drive that way with them in the car, regardless of how "cool" your wife is. So, in conclusion, I say go for the Vette because there really is no comparison. The ricey sound of an Evo (albeit better than most 4 cyls) has absolutely no comparison with the tingly, grin-inducing sensation I get every time I start my 6. What puts it over the top are the mods I got for $1700 from a member here right after I bought mine: Corsa Exhaust (upgraded to Corsa Extreme for $50 after insurance covered it getting barely damaged), Kooks long-tube headers, cats, X-pipe, and Callaway air intake (never even got around to installing the intake, stupidly enough). Anyway, the sound that thing makes is practically a religious experience. Backing that thing out of the driveway still excites the s*** out of me. I just can't imagine a Rally car feeling that way, no matter how great of one it is. That's just my two cents. Good luck with your decision!
Old 01-10-2012, 12:51 AM
Boltfan555
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by kiteboarder
Thanks for the responses so far. I'l go through through and reply.

But let me point out that I live in SoCal and the Corvette will see ZERO snow. I mentioned snow earlier, because if I had the Evo I can take it up to Big Bear and Mammoth on snowboarding trips. But if I buy the Corvette, I'll have an older 4x4 truck for the snow trips.

I'm thinking... Base Corvette, with options packages only dependent on price. It's my first Corvette, so I'm not too picky yet. I can't really afford a Z06, because I'm looking to put about $8,000 - $10,000 down and finance the rest. To afford a Z06, I'd have to go older and I likely won't be able to get financing for it.

To give you an example, I drive a 2007 Base LS2 (LT3 I think) with 55,000 miles or so. It had SatNav. Sticker was about $28,000. Of course, to negotiate down. But that's a good example.

I don't mind it being base as I eventually intend to work on it. Replace the seats, maybe coilovers, etc.

I still need to do a whole lot of reading around here... Same with the track and auto x section. But one thing at a time
Not sure if I can post the bank I used for financing. So PM me and I will tell you more.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:00 AM
TurbosNv8s
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I got it....BUY BOTH! I have a 2007 Sti Limited with 404 at all four wheels, more mods than I can type on here and I just ordered a 2012 Grand Sport to occupy the other side of the garage.

You just need to get in them and see what feels best to you man. Both cars will drive very different from each other. If your planning to mod, the Evo might be the better way to go since parts are cheap and you can get pretty large gains from simple bolt ons. But then again the evo is already a slower car from start.

Either way you go they are both nice cars.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:49 PM
kiteboarder
Intermediate

@Z51ForFun - Thanks for the feedback. You're absolutely right. I think the only time I'm going to wonder about the Evo is... That I've always been curious about an amazing-handling car regardless of the top speed. (I've also previously had an interest in an MX-5). So, sometimes I'll be like... "What would have been?"

Additionally, I'm quite interested in rally racing. But... After all the research I've been doing, it's clear that I can afford an Evo or a Corvette, but I can't afford to rally a $35K car...

First, an semi-pro rally driver told me I won't be allowed to rally a turbo AWD car until I have proven rally racing experience in a FWD car. Secondly, he also talked to me about the damage and maintenance, and the fact that he's already got about $100,000 into his Evo X. Bottom line is, I can't afford to rally an Evo anyway right now.

So, looks like a Corvette would be the best option right now anyway. If I want to get into rally... It'll be later, and I'll have to get into a cheap FWD Golf to get experience. After that, who knows...

@TurbosNv8s - Haha. If I could afford both...! I'd have a Corvette and I'd be rally racing in an Evo That I would!
Old 01-10-2012, 07:49 PM
rpm94
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kiteboarder
Woah! O.O It's photos like this what didn't let me pull the trigger on the Evo X the day I test drove it!
You better close your eyes now or you will forget all about that Evo!

Old 01-10-2012, 07:51 PM
jamesw95
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought my 09 Z51 vette last July and sold my modded 08 Sti. I loved that Sti and would have kept it but it just didn't make sense to do so. I have no regrets.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:35 AM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rpm94
If you are going to spend $35K for a new Evo, why not save your $$$ for a little while longer. You can get garage queen C6 Z06s now with low miles for $45K+.

No comparison between a base corvette and an Evo. At the prices of a new Evo, save a little more and go for 505hp!

Then mod the **** out of it down the road.
And that will solve the not so nimble feel.

Quick Reply: Looking to Own My First Corvette Over a Mitsubishi Evo X Rally Car