C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got a visit from the tax man

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 02:03 PM
sportcruiser
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just got a visit from the tax man

Well,

I know this may be more political that related to a Corvette (but I was driving my C6), but I just got a speeding ticket (60 mph in a 45, he says), and needed to vent. Mind you, I have nothing against cops (I have 4 in my family), but I am in favor of huge budget cuts on law enforcement until they find something better to do with their time than arbitrarily select people to ticket.

When my wife got hit and the driver ran, the cops said "there's nothing we can do". This government of ours will bring us all to our knees soon if they aren't returned to service. This will cost me $1000's over the years in fine's and insurance. Of course, in Florida, only about 50% of drivers actually have insurance!

Yes, I know I could have been driving slower, but this is one of those times when you are simply flowing with traffic on a 6-lane road, and some MC cop points his radar gun at you and decides to ticket you. It's our government harassing us, pure and simple. Bring back "Serve and Protect".
Old 01-09-2012, 02:20 PM
bearman95
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sportcruiser
Well,

I know this may be more political that related to a Corvette (but I was driving my C6), but I just got a speeding ticket (60 mph in a 45, he says), and needed to vent. Mind you, I have nothing against cops (I have 4 in my family), but I am in favor of huge budget cuts on law enforcement until they find something better to do with their time than arbitrarily select people to ticket.

When my wife got hit and the driver ran, the cops said "there's nothing we can do". This government of ours will bring us all to our knees soon if they aren't returned to service. This will cost me $1000's over the years in fine's and insurance. Of course, in Florida, only about 50% of drivers actually have insurance!

Yes, I know I could have been driving slower, but this is one of those times when you are simply flowing with traffic on a 6-lane road, and some MC cop points his radar gun at you and decides to ticket you. It's our government harassing us, pure and simple. Bring back "Serve and Protect".
Old 01-09-2012, 02:24 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sportcruiser
I just got a speeding ticket (60 mph in a 45, he says), and needed to vent.

Yes, I know I could have been driving slower, but this is one of those times when you are simply flowing with traffic on a 6-lane road, and some MC cop points his radar gun at you and decides to ticket you.
Okay, so how fast were you really going? And were you really going with the flow of traffic, or were you slightly faster?
Old 01-09-2012, 02:24 PM
ladder13
Melting Slicks

Received 798 Likes on 386 Posts

You break the law you pay, what a concept.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:25 PM
Zogs2011
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just kidding, sorry about the ticket. It happens
Old 01-09-2012, 02:31 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

I know when I am speeding, if I get busted, it's my fault, if he lets me off, I buy a lotto ticket. It's the luck of the draw. Going with the flow isn't an excuse for breaking the law. It's like, if there is looting going on during a riot and you steal a TV, is it theft because everyone else was doing it?
Put your big boy pants on and pay the ticket
Or use the ticket clinic
Old 01-09-2012, 02:33 PM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

City police or Sheriff. Sheriff usually don't worry about that kind of **** ant crap.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:35 PM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
I know when I am speeding, if I get busted, it's my fault, if he lets me off, I buy a lotto ticket. It's the luck of the draw. Going with the flow isn't an excuse for breaking the law. It's like, if there is looting going on during a riot and you steal a TV, is it theft because everyone else was doing it?
Put your big boy pants on and pay the ticket
Or use the ticket clinic
yeah but, on 95 if your aren't running with the crowd, they will run you off the road.
Goatdad
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13

if your over the limit.....who cares what the "flo" was doing.

Unfortunately you got caught.
Mookster
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 15 Posts

I hope you're joking about 50% of ppl in FL have insurance...
Old 01-09-2012, 02:36 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

I feel your pain....but having said that....60 in a 45 does warrant a speeding ticket. 15 mph over the limit will get you a ticket most anywhere except on some major highways where EVERYONE is going over the limit....and if they single you out...then it is "targeted" enforcement and there is nothing you can do except VENT like you're doing now.

From what I understand about speeding tickets in Florida.....hire an attorney and it will turn out to be nothing more than a splap on the wrist or if you're lucky, dissmissed outright. Good Luck
Old 01-09-2012, 02:43 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by speedraider
yeah but, on 95 if your aren't running with the crowd, they will run you off the road.
true, thats why I said it was the luck of the draw..
Old 01-09-2012, 02:45 PM
weathermaker
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

That's 25% over the limit! I think you deserve the ticket. Everyone speeds over the limit sometimes. If you get stop, you have nobody to blame but yourself. Stop your whining.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:48 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

I'd have a hard time justifying being pissed off for 60 in a 45.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:51 PM
ladder13
Melting Slicks

Received 798 Likes on 386 Posts

Same with those who run without a front plate. You're breaking the law, right? So the officer should ignore you and "go get the real criminals"? What are hiway cops there for, looking for rapists? Take your medicine like a man, don't blame some street cop who's doing his job. Cops have been giving out speeding tickets for decades, this is nothing new.

Last edited by ladder13; 01-09-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:09 PM
Random84
Safety Car

There's a lot of posters in this thread who would readily tell you to put that yellow badge, and turn you into the proper authorities too! God help you for doing something "unlawful!" Years later, they'll claim ignorance - after all, they were just following orders.

Don't take it so seriously. Some people just like to see others squirm and suffer, and using law is often the most efficacious way to do this. They scream "Democracy!" while wanting to regulate every aspect of your lives because they know how you should live better than you do. In almost every way, you are better off not inviting "the Man" into your life - but so many want to give The Man more powers, more money and more latitude to coerce you into living in a manner than someone else sees fit. You can see the thin veins of coercion in these replies: the same that ignore the pragmatism of the flow of rush hour traffic (or the dangers of driving 15 MPH slower) because you might have been going over "the posted limit!" Some of these same people forget those laws when they're late for work, or out having a good time.

In the land of too many laws, everyone turns into a criminal.

P.S. 40,000 federal, state and local laws were enacted this year. Don't break any of them - or else!
Old 01-09-2012, 03:09 PM
redrckt97
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by weathermaker
That's 25% over the limit! I think you deserve the ticket. Everyone speeds over the limit sometimes. If you get stop, you have nobody to blame but yourself. Stop your whining.
ok, somebody has to say it -- 60 in a 45 is 33% above the limit

Get notified of new replies

To Just got a visit from the tax man

Old 01-09-2012, 03:12 PM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 351 Likes on 206 Posts

People like "Random" make me want to puke. How dare you equate the holocaust with something as trivial as a speeding ticket?
Old 01-09-2012, 03:15 PM
GREENTAHOE
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

First off MC cops are assigned to work traffic and it filters down from the mayor or governor. 2nd traffic stops are one of the two highest risk situations for officers and is neck and neck with officer slayings. Just because you weren't hauling drugs or didn't have a warrant doesn't mean you should get a free card to speed
Old 01-09-2012, 03:18 PM
01VETTECOP
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

wow, if you were doing the speed limit there would be No Thread !

and No Ticket !

Quick Reply: Just got a visit from the tax man