C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So why did you buy a Grand Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 11:03 AM
ladder13
Melting Slicks

Received 798 Likes on 386 Posts

Mostly for the looks, and MacMulkin sold me one for not much more than a narrow body.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:16 AM
H-TOWNC6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the look of the GS/Z06 body, but I just can't part ways with my Lemans blue 07' coupe. Til this day I still get compliments on the stunning color..............nothing comes close.

Except maybe for CRM.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:33 AM
Mchapman
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks, I beleive it is the best looking of the current offering. Although they are all great.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:35 AM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

I saw a GS at a lifestyle display at the Friday practice day of the 2010 Long Beach Grand Prix. I was with a buddy who has a C4. To be honest, I was a bit ambivalent to the whole display (I write a lot of software used in manufacturer car show display booths, so I've been to more car displays than I could count).

As we were watching the "celebrities" practice for the celebrity race around the city street track there in Long Beach (in Scions), a total "mid-life crisis" type of thought entered my head: "Why the heck to those guys get to race around this track and I'm sitting out here watching them?". Within in a few moments, I went from a guy who has only driven sensible cars and mini-vans to a sports car enthusiast.

I came to the realization that I needed to get a performance car for me! I asked my buddy how he liked his Vette (that would be my initial research into the matter). At some point I remember his comment "if you like racing around town in a go-kart, it's great!".....an interesting endorsement, but caught my attention.

The research started on-line that evening. The GS immediately came to the top of my list. I joined the Forum here the next day....I had been bitten by the "Corvette bug." I lurked for a few days and then posted my first question to the forum "When were you bitten by the Corvette bug?"

I searched and searched for another vehicle to the Vette in performance and value. I couldn't find one. I realized that "racing around town in a go-kart" was exactly what I was looking for.

I called Tommy Jr. and custom ordered my GS. As luck would have it, I had a business trip coincide with my build dates, so I did the buyer's tour. And picked my 2011 up in the last week of September 2010.

I never even test drove a Vette. My first experience driving the car was driving mine out of my "courtesy delivery" dealer lot. That first freeway onramp and I knew I made the right choice!

Since then I've put almost 19K miles on the car, and enjoy it more each time I drive it.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:45 AM
azcanuk
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

Default Warned the wife..

Have always thought about a wide body vert.. had warned the wife if GM ever came out with a wide body vette vert.. she'd be putting her cute little butt into one everytime we drove our vette... and she does!

LOVE the look of the wide body, and to be honest.. there isn't another car I'd rather rip around town in..

Old 01-03-2012, 11:47 AM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Performance, looks. Its the best "all around" Vette.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:48 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,095 Likes on 2,079 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by funymuny

Combination of removable top and auto tranny AND the widebody.
Agreed!

Had I been single, I would have bought a Z06 with the M6 transmission, however, my wife drives the car too and she can't drive a stick (and I don't want to teach her) ...

So, the GS was the logical choice, at least for me.

If you really think about it ... all these light weight Corvettes are over-powered anyway, so whether or not you have 430, 436, 505 or 638 HP seems a mute point ... They all will go 185 mph +

Old 01-03-2012, 12:48 PM
RO55
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Need I say more?
Old 01-03-2012, 12:50 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

I don't have a GS as I have a Z06. It seems that most of the replies say that looks is the reason they chose a GS vs a base. I have seen posts in the past where people complain that because the Z51 is not available for the base car, that the only reason people purchased the GS is to get the Z51 suspension, and that if was available on the base, then they would have purchased the base car. My question is, how many people that purchased a GS would have passed if the Z51 package was available on the base car and would have instead, purchased the base car?
Old 01-03-2012, 01:11 PM
ohmy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
If you really think about it ... all these light weight Corvettes are over-powered anyway, so whether or not you have 430, 436, 505 or 638 HP seems a mute point ...
Old 01-03-2012, 01:16 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,650 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I don't have a GS as I have a Z06. It seems that most of the replies say that looks is the reason they chose a GS vs a base. I have seen posts in the past where people complain that because the Z51 is not available for the base car, that the only reason people purchased the GS is to get the Z51 suspension, and that if was available on the base, then they would have purchased the base car. My question is, how many people that purchased a GS would have passed if the Z51 package was available on the base car and would have instead, purchased the base car?
I still would have gone with the GS! I think you will find that most would have too! I am glad that the GS has the Z51 suspension and Z06 brakes and tires, but the aggressive look of the car is what was most appealing to me! And besides...it's no slouch on performance either!
Old 01-03-2012, 01:20 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

As you know the GS is more than just a Z51 suspension.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:51 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 202 Likes on 170 Posts

I still would have gone for the GS. I owned an '08 base Z51 for a year, it did all I asked of it and had more but I knew sooner or later I would want/need wider tires and bigger brakes (I REALLY enjoy tracking the Corvette!). I loved the color (CRM) so picked up a '12 just a few days before Christmas. Only have 477 miles on it so far and really love the car. I found the brakes to be much more sensitive than what I was used to in the '08, as one would expect, the steering seems a bit more sensitive and it seems to corner a bit flatter than the '08 too. Can't wait for track season to start this spring.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:05 PM
JC7
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by v1 rot8
looks
Old 01-03-2012, 03:06 PM
ST8GS
5th Gear

I had a super clean 04 6 speed convertible C5, and was very happy with it. Actually, I didn't really like the C6. Then last April I went with my club to the Bash in Bowling Green. I followed a Grand Sport all the way up there from NC, and just fell in love with that big wide booty! So when I got back, I had a 6 speed convertible in 2 weeks. Torch Red, chrome wheels, and it looks great! Could not be happier to have such performance, looks, and comfort in the total package.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:20 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,650 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by ST8GS
I had a super clean 04 6 speed convertible C5, and was very happy with it. Actually, I didn't really like the C6. Then last April I went with my club to the Bash in Bowling Green. I followed a Grand Sport all the way up there from NC, and just fell in love with that big wide booty! So when I got back, I had a 6 speed convertible in 2 weeks. Torch Red, chrome wheels, and it looks great! Could not be happier to have such performance, looks, and comfort in the total package.
Your story sounds similar to mine! I had a really nice loaded '02 Electron Blue 6 speed Convertible that I said I wouldn't get rid! That was until I saw the new GS Convertibles. I too have a TR, 6 speed, chrome wheels GS Convertible. They are a total package!
Old 01-03-2012, 03:36 PM
HighPro
Racer

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
Agreed!

Had I been single, I would have bought a Z06 with the M6 transmission, however, my wife drives the car too and she can't drive a stick (and I don't want to teach her) ...

So, the GS was the logical choice, at least for me.

If you really think about it ... all these light weight Corvettes are over-powered anyway, so whether or not you have 430, 436, 505 or 638 HP seems a mute point ... They all will go 185 mph +

I think you have a beautiful lady - no doubt.

The GS is a good look'in ride. I think what we have here is more $$ than brains. I have a Z06 and love it. Ner the less, too much $$$ - but, would not trade it for anything. I worked hard fer this darn thing.

Get notified of new replies

To So why did you buy a Grand Sport?

Old 01-03-2012, 03:43 PM
CrvtBB
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 76 Posts

My question is, how many people that purchased a GS would have passed if the Z51 package was available on the base car and would have instead, purchased the base car?
The Z51 suspension and Z06 brakes were the big selling points for me, but if available on the narrow body I probably would have still gone with the GS. I think the narrow body is a beautiful car, but the wide body is beautiful and nasty.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Supercrewbear
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've answered this question before on here but there's a twist now.

I was originally going to buy a '10 Coupe -- I started thinking about it sometime in maybe early '09 or so. When I got to researching Corvette info (mostly here on the CF) I discovered the Grand Sport. I had to readjust my plans because the wide body was just too good looking to pass up. In the end I probably paid less than $1,000-$2,000 more for the GS than I had planned to spend on a base Coupe -- that was because I had settled on getting the GM Supplier Pricing and ended up with a much better deal with Wes Milby at Reliable Chevy in Springfield, MO -- also info I got here on the CF. So that's why I have a GS -- purely because I wanted a Corvette and wanted the best looking one I could afford. It's plenty fast enough for me (any of them would be) and I basically wanted a good looking car to road trip and cruise in.

And the twisted part: No, I would not have bought a base Coupe if the Z 51 suspension option was still available on it. I like the wide body looks THAT MUCH. And it's still a Corvette! Gills and all...

Old 01-03-2012, 04:11 PM
bearman95
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We had a new 04 c5 coupe and then a new 09 c6 coupe with z51. My wife wanted a vert but not just any vert. She wanted a black on black new 11 c6 GS vert and since its a daily driver for her thats what we got. After having owned it for 6 months i am glad the GS vert is what she wanted to buy since it wins hands down over the other two vettes that we have owned.

Last edited by bearman95; 01-03-2012 at 04:14 PM.

Quick Reply: So why did you buy a Grand Sport?