C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vette Damaged During Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 12:50 AM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by Invicta1
Ok here we go again. In my opinion it seems like the majority of the dealers are just not prepared to work on our Corvettes. We need certified Corvette techs. They should have a seperate training program and certification. If a dealer does not have a certified tech they can't sell or service the car, period. It seems most of the issues could be easily avoided with some specific technical training on the car and the correct lift equipment. The Corvette is unique enough that you can't just have "The Silverado Tech" or whichever tech is available work on the car. Chevrolet needs to get the dealers on board.
what's so unique?

There is nothing so unique on the vette that isn't in other cars sold by GM.

The Volt has more advanced technology than the vette.

Electronic steering, where is that on a vette?

No, the vette's not so unique. And when the C7 comes out, it will still be behind other vehicles in GMs lineup because other vehicles have been updated already.

So, if you get 'certified' Corvette techs are you willing to pay a premium? Some dealers in Chicago are up around $200 an hour. Sacramento has some pricey dealers up there as well, you willing to pay that much for a 'certified' Corvette tech?

You want the MB quality and service, pay the MB price.....
Old 01-02-2012, 02:31 AM
Jaxon
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by glenB
what's so unique?

There is nothing so unique on the vette that isn't in other cars sold by GM.

The Volt has more advanced technology than the vette.

Electronic steering, where is that on a vette?

No, the vette's not so unique. And when the C7 comes out, it will still be behind other vehicles in GMs lineup because other vehicles have been updated already.

So, if you get 'certified' Corvette techs are you willing to pay a premium? Some dealers in Chicago are up around $200 an hour. Sacramento has some pricey dealers up there as well, you willing to pay that much for a 'certified' Corvette tech?

You want the MB quality and service, pay the MB price.....
On what other GM car can you crack the rockers by lifting it incorrectly, overfill the dry sump on the engine or break the core supports by driving it onto a hoist?
There are countless threads on these problems alone plus many others. Most people on this forum are aware of these issues but the techs aren't? Stop forgiving GM for inexcusable performance. The low expectations by you and others allows GM to continually fail with no repercussions. They need to be held accountable for their ignorance and apathy.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:26 AM
Triumph Jerry
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QUICKSSB
You got lucky. They have damaged many motors at the dealerships "just changing the oil".
Hey!! .....Give them a chance, they're not done working on it yet!
You ain't seen nothin' yet!
Old 01-02-2012, 03:30 AM
Triumph Jerry
Pro

Originally Posted by johnodrake
And your fury would get you what?

Sure, they hosed things up, but stuff happens. At least they took ownership of the problem. I think that was what the OP was trying to get across. Not every shop mentioned on this forum would do that.
Another reason not to take your car to a dealership for an oil change.
Now YOU are saying this is a GOOD one.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:57 AM
Triumph Jerry
Pro

Originally Posted by Jeff @ TPE
Give me a break!!!

In this world, there are such things as accidents. The only person who has any right to bash someone over this, is a person who has NEVER made a mistake.
Make all the mistakes you want dog, just stay away from my vette.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:24 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 687 Likes on 510 Posts

Rich Farr,
I'm glad your Corvette mechanics are excellent. However, I'd recommend trying to find a new Cadillac mechanic. I can look up several of them in your area for you if you wanna send me a PM.

Chevrolet Customer Service,
Justin

Originally Posted by Rich Farr
I have a 2008 CTS and every time I have had the car in for warranty work, they have either had the car all day and not got to my car or damaged some part of my car completely unrelated to what they were working on! - e.g. programming computer and wrecked seat or disconnecting heated windshield washer and damaged brake caliper. Trained chimps could do better work!
Fortunately Corvette dealer is excellent
Old 01-02-2012, 10:44 AM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes
The stealership breaks your lower radiator support and all you get is a free oil change at the same dealer??? At least they fixed the damage that they caused but why would you feel any sense of confidence that your car will be handled properly in the future?

Learn to do the oil changes yourself. It's pretty simple and you can avoid damage. Nobody will treat your Vette like you.

After the first one or two, should take you less time to do than driving back and forth to the idiots at stealership.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Invicta1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jaxon
On what other GM car can you crack the rockers by lifting it incorrectly, overfill the dry sump on the engine or break the core supports by driving it onto a hoist?
There are countless threads on these problems alone plus many others. Most people on this forum are aware of these issues but the techs aren't? Stop forgiving GM for inexcusable performance. The low expectations by you and others allows GM to continually fail with no repercussions. They need to be held accountable for their ignorance and apathy.
Maybe I am in the minority who think that we should have qualified technicians with the correct lift equipment work on our Corvettes?? Pay extra for certified techs? Not when I paid $64K for my car. What about those who paid $80K-$100K+ for a Z06 or ZR1?? It can't be that hard to put a list of specific Corvette service items and train the techs. I don't worry when I drop my daily driver off at the Audi dealer that they are going to do damage to it. These types of issues are why we have seen some posters bail out of Corvette ownership altogether. Quality of your service experience can many times make or break your overall ownership experience. Making a great car is only part of the equation.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:53 PM
VALS3
Advanced

Originally Posted by TXVette07
Took my 07 vert in for an oil change today. Service advisor comes and sits next to me with that "look" on his face. The tech gets my car and hits the lift ramp wrong and breaks the lower radiator support. I go to the car so the service advisor can show me. It's on the lift and I look and the break and also I see no pucks. I was starting to get a little upset at this point. I asked him to take it off the lift and that there were pucks in the trunk if they were out. Just make sure they go back in. He said he'd see to it. Super nice guy...

Service manager was cool. Gave me a rental, going to fix it and throw in free oil change.

They were fully responsible and took total responsibility.

Have to give them a for the way they handled it. Very professional.
Take it to a body shop and get a second opinion - they sound totally incompetent on several levels to me
Old 01-02-2012, 03:14 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Jaxon
You act like this vehicle is God's gift, it's not, it's a car. While training is required, I don't feel these to be 'unique.

There's something missing in this incindentwe don't know about, like, if the support was broken by driving into, as statted by the OP, why no body damage ?

Owners themselves have damaged the supports by driving into steep driveways at the wrong angle or running over curb stops, maybe we should take their keys away.

And it's not a GM issue, it's a dealer issue.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:38 PM
TXVette07
Instructor

Nothing missing here...at least on my end. I had to replace this support once when I let my wife take it and she ran over top a parking curb. These frames are only spot welded so can break pretty easily.

I say it was done while driving it on the lift only because that's what I was told by the service manager.

And you are right...it is only a car. I have owned this one for a few years and know what angle to take driveways, etc. So I know for a fact it wasn't broken or cracked when I took it in.

Originally Posted by glenB
You act like this vehicle is God's gift, it's not, it's a car. While training is required, I don't feel these to be 'unique.

There's something missing in this incindentwe don't know about, like, if the support was broken by driving into, as statted by the OP, why no body damage ?

Owners themselves have damaged the supports by driving into steep driveways at the wrong angle or running over curb stops, maybe we should take their keys away.

And it's not a GM issue, it's a dealer issue.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:38 PM
Delbert
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Much of the problem with servicing Corvettes is........dealers who actually, don't sell many Corvettes!! My dealer is George Weber Chevrolet and they have 4 dealerships in the Greater St Louis area.......they sell and service MANY Corvettes and always service my Corvettes with a high level of integrity!!

That said, I suspect many who are dissatisfied with the service they receive at dealerships should spend as much time seeking a reputable dealer who knows and services a high number of Corvettes as they do searching for one who well sell them a Corvette with as low a price as they want!!! Shop around folks......you don't have every guy with a ladder and truck put a roof on your house. It may start leaking very soon after or worse......ask around, get feedback from others.....do some homework. Most of you are even particular about having just any repair shop do work on your "beaters". For heaven's sake, do the same for your Corvettes!! Just my humble opinion!
Old 01-02-2012, 05:45 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by capevettes
Learn to do the oil changes yourself. It's pretty simple and you can avoid damage. Nobody will treat your Vette like you.

Oil changes should be routine. Are the dealers seeing so few Corvettes that they don't know how to handle one? Or are they constantly hiring & training newbies to cut their labor costs?

Cheers,
JB
Old 01-02-2012, 06:24 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TXVette07
Nothing missing here...at least on my end. I had to replace this support once when I let my wife take it and she ran over top a parking curb. These frames are only spot welded so can break pretty easily.

I say it was done while driving it on the lift only because that's what I was told by the service manager.

And you are right...it is only a car. I have owned this one for a few years and know what angle to take driveways, etc. So I know for a fact it wasn't broken or cracked when I took it in.
Drive-on lift then and not a post?
Old 01-02-2012, 11:05 PM
Jimbeaux
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeSVT04
I swear these shops are crazy.

I will never take my car to a dealer/ repair shop. They either mess your car up or tell your you need something to make the car run correctly.

At least they manned up at took care of it.
At least that's the way it is in California anyway. Much better off buying parts off the net (PartsTaxi), gleaning info off the net and do whatever work you can yourself.
I will be replacing my selective ride shocks, front tierod ends and next set of brakes and rotors myself.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:42 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

I avoid the Dealer like I would avoid the Electric Chair. But, when I take it in for oil. And, I get it back with no problems/damage, I feel like I hit the lottery, again.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:43 AM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

I cringe when I have to take a Corvette in for service! The fear is not if they can repair the car for what I brought it in for....but what other damage they may cause in the process!

Get notified of new replies

To Vette Damaged During Oil Change

Old 01-03-2012, 01:51 AM
07c6vette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Triumph Jerry
Another reason not to take your car to a dealership for an oil change.
Now YOU are saying this is a GOOD one.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:15 PM
TXVette07
Instructor

Originally Posted by 89L98
I avoid the Dealer like I would avoid the Electric Chair. But, when I take it in for oil. And, I get it back with no problems/damage, I feel like I hit the lottery, again.

Got my car back today. When I got to the dealership, the service manager took me back and they had the car on the lift. Wanted me to take a look at what had happened (as far as they could tell) and the replacement work. Tech who did the work was there also.

They did do a good job repairing it and were very professional about. Although I'll be doing most all of my work on it myself in the future, they did take care of it and I'm good with it.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:33 PM
Res1cue
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Seriously! I can't fathom in a million years paying someone to change my oil for me. When you have minimum wage people working on your car just stand by for maximum problems. They could care less if you drive in in a yugo or a corvette their paycheck stays the same which is minimum!

I say grow a set and learn how to work on your own car. I do everything I possibly can on my car and don't rely on a dealership to do anything for me. It quite a sense of accomplishment to know that you are responsible for all repairs and modifications to your own vehicle. If you screw up then you take it as a lesson learned and move on. Much more satisfying than just opening your wallet and handing someone else you hard earned money even if it ends up costing a little more sometimes.

I did however have a speed shop build my motor just because I don't have the tools necessary to do it. Hopefully next motor will be a different story though.

Last edited by Res1cue; 01-04-2012 at 08:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Vette Damaged During Oil Change