C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud squeaking noise from under hood

Old 12-28-2011, 06:12 PM
Baysixx
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud squeaking noise from under hood

There is a loud squeaking noise that starts right when I turn on the engine. It sounds like its coming from the belt in front of the engine towards the bottom. The higher the rpms the louder it gets. Does anyone know how to stop it or what's causing it? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:31 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Check the harmonic balancer (main pulley) and see if it has a wobble. If it does there is your problem. Or it could just be a worn belt. I have the same issue and will be changing my harmonic balancer next week. Chances are you will be to. Good luck. Oh btw make enough of a stink about it to your local gm dealer if you are no longer under warranty, I got them to cover half the labor and half the part.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:54 PM
MO POWR
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Everybody will say harmonic balancer. This very well may be the case, however I have a 11 GS with no HB wobble and mine does it at start up and continues until motor is warm. I assume the belts warm up also and it goes away. I replaced the belt you are talking about with a Gates and it fixed it for about 1500 miles. The sound is back again.

The dealer wants me to bring it in so they can clean the pullies and belts. LOL! Even after I told them I cleaned them and replaced the belt. I will live with the squeel before I will let the dealer screw up more crap than they fix, been down that road too many times. Like I said I don't have any HB wobble, so who knows what causes this???
Old 12-28-2011, 07:10 PM
crusher1
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by MO POWR
Everybody will say harmonic balancer. This very well may be the case, however I have a 11 GS with no HB wobble and mine does it at start up and continues until motor is warm. I assume the belts warm up also and it goes away. I replaced the belt you are talking about with a Gates and it fixed it for about 1500 miles. The sound is back again.

The dealer wants me to bring it in so they can clean the pullies and belts. LOL! Even after I told them I cleaned them and replaced the belt. I will live with the squeel before I will let the dealer screw up more crap than they fix, been down that road too many times. Like I said I don't have any HB wobble, so who knows what causes this???

Mine does the same thing just noticed it a few months back....But goes away once warmed up...Small chirp not really bothersome. I checked the Harmonic Balancer and dont see any wobble....Havent replaced the belts....I can live with it unless it gets really loud

Last edited by crusher1; 12-28-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:02 PM
cwing85b
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Check the idler pulley and belt tensioner pulley. Both can squeak when cold. They are very inexpensive and easy to change.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:20 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Little bit of cheese goes a long way imho ............. jus say'n

Last edited by MikeyTX; 03-17-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:23 PM
MR_JLR
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts

Same issue 08 mn6, mine is DEFINITELY coming from the alternator, once I unplug it, the noise(squeak/chirp) goes away. It's functioning perfectly outside the noise so I'm leaving it be. Harmonic Balancer looks fine also.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:09 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

Baysixx,
There's a lot of good information in this thread. I'd check your engine for anything obvious (wobbling axles). Also, check your belts. I'd also caution against assuming it's the harmonic balancer. That can be an expensive fix. I honestly think the best way to deal with this is to take it to the shop and see if the mechanics can pinpoint the issue if you're stumped.

Chevrolet Customer Service,
Justin

Originally Posted by Baysixx
There is a loud squeaking noise that starts right when I turn on the engine. It sounds like its coming from the belt in front of the engine towards the bottom. The higher the rpms the louder it gets. Does anyone know how to stop it or what's causing it? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:34 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

Just because the HB doesn't have noticeable runout doesn't mean it's safe to continue to run if it's making noise. (If it is the HB making the noise that is). The bolt can be loose. And/or the pulley can be slipping on the crank when it's cold etc. Either of those two issues can cause damage to the crank, front engine seal, etc over time if it continues.

Last edited by DSOMC6; 12-29-2011 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:07 AM
MO POWR
Instructor

Originally Posted by DSOMC6
Just because the HB doesn't have noticeable runout doesn't mean it's safe to continue to run if it's making noise. (If it is the HB making the noise that is). The bolt can be loose. And/or the pulley can be slipping on the crank when it's cold etc. Either of those two issues can cause damage to the crank, front engine seal, etc over time if it continues.
The bolt could be loose enough to allow the pully to slip on the crank? And yet when it warms up it is tight enough to stop slipping even under acceleration?? I'm no mechanic but that doesn't sound right? I understand that metals expand etc. However I don't think a loose HB bolt is the cause of the sound. Especially if there is no wooble. JMHO.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:15 AM
Herrick
Intermediate

Definitely not the harmonic balancer. Sounds like a bad muffler baring but start by checking the nut behind the wheel.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:35 AM
MO POWR
Instructor

HAHA!
Originally Posted by Herrick
Definitely not the harmonic balancer. Sounds like a bad muffler baring but start by checking the nut behind the wheel.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:35 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

My money is on the balancer.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:42 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Just thinking!

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Little bit of cheese goes a long way imho ............. jus say'n
Just thinking, how 'bout a little WD40 to slick it up and eliminate mouse squeal.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:49 AM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bearphoto
My money is on the balancer.
Mine is on the tensioner pulley assembly. They wear and when they do, they lean forward, causing the belt to slide across the pulley rather than turn it. Its not something you can see be looking.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:59 PM
Baysixx
Advanced

After talking to a couple of my buddies we all think it is the tensioner pulley because of how loud the squeaking is. How much would that repair cost me?
Old 01-12-2012, 09:33 PM
onekyoung
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Baysixx
After talking to a couple of my buddies we all think it is the tensioner pulley because of how loud the squeaking is. How much would that repair cost me?
About 50 clams for the tensioner. Easy to change on most engines, haven't done my c6 yet... but she's a squeakin, so that's probably in my future. I'll be putting my automotive stethoscope to her tomorrow

Get notified of new replies

To Loud squeaking noise from under hood

Old 03-28-2013, 01:34 PM
jesse_atlanta
1st Gear

My 08 is doing it now started just about the day I paid it off, 11K miles.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:27 PM
RickMG
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

It's most likely the crankshaft pulley as it's a common problem. I took it to the dealer and they said it was just a dirty belt, sprayed it and the noise went away. Yesterday it was back with vengeance.

A friend of mine who was in his Vette while I was in mine had the problem awhile ago and showed me the pulley was wobbling bad. I bought some belt dressing and the noise is gone but if I don't fix it soon the pulley can come off and cause a lot of damage.

I've been calling to get estimates today and it will run around $400-$500 at least. Needless to say I'm going to do it.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:26 PM
cb98coupe
Burning Brakes

I put my money on the harmonic balancer , especially since it's n 05 . Get it checked out and stop messing around . Good luck .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Loud squeaking noise from under hood