C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locked Out

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 10:37 AM
la vett girl
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

vert ?
Old 12-28-2011, 11:51 AM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

This is one of the reasons I carry two keys and two FOBs. One in each pants pocket. I started becoming very careful years ago when I locked both keys in the car (93 T-Bird) with the engine running. Luckily I had the hood up and pulled the distributor wire to shut the engine off. But I still had to call a locksmith to get the door open. And I can't remember how many times I have locked myself out of the house and I finally had to bury keys in my backyard.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:43 PM
Corvette00Car
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spare Key

I had a spare key made from a Saturn blank and kept it in my wallet. Then I saw my friend's wallet and it must have been an inch thick (lots of plastic). Mine I keep in my front pocket (back issues). I discovered that the small fob for the 2010 actually fits nicely and when the credit cards are shifted around it is only slightly thicker than what it was before. Hay that's cool. I don't think I can wait for the microchip to be imbedded in my head. Oh well.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:13 PM
jack5hd
Burning Brakes

keep the fob in my sock
Old 12-28-2011, 02:30 PM
jack5hd
Burning Brakes

go to page 2-11 and 5-54 in owners manual..you can program car to sound horn and unlock vehicle if fob left in car..........when i did the museum delivery they went to great length to insure i understood how the fob worked and also the different ways to open car.........latch by seat and at the hatch.hope this helps..........you can download owners manual on corvettes website
Old 12-28-2011, 02:38 PM
Gilla81
Pro

I hate to say it man, but you are screwed. I've done this a ton of times. Usually the key is in my golf bag and I lock it in the trunk when I put my clubs away. The best solution is to have a spare key made and keep one in your wallet or hide it on the car. I have done both, and so far I have not locked myself out.

You can tape a key many places on the car, or I found some good spots where I can put a magnetic key holder under the car. If you look around underneath between the front wheel and the seem of the door you will find some metal you can attach it too.

Good luck.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:53 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by jack5hd
go to page 2-11 and 5-54 in owners manual..you can program car to sound horn and unlock vehicle if fob left in car...

Wondered why the board's whiz kids didn't mention this feature straight away? I have it activated, though am never seperated from my FOB, but y'never know.

This has happened to many members over the years since keyless entry became part of the C6.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:56 PM
BadToo
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

go to page 2-11 and 5-54 in owners manual..you can program car to sound horn and unlock vehicle if fob left in car..........
Horn will only sound if it detects the FOB which it can't if it is in the trunk. There are those that have and those that will.....I am one of those that have! :o
Old 12-28-2011, 03:17 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by JimTN
Not a bad idea to try it, but it's about 99% likely it won't work without the fob outside and near the rear hatch.
At a show and shine, one of our members locked his FOB in the rear hatch of his week old C6. I tried the rear hatch release button twice and tried both doors. No dice. I finally told him I would run him home to get his other FOB. As we were getting ready to leave, I tried the rear hatch release button one more time. The damn hatch popped up.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:43 PM
Gilla81
Pro

Originally Posted by JoesC5
At a show and shine, one of our members locked his FOB in the rear hatch of his week old C6. I tried the rear hatch release button twice and tried both doors. No dice. I finally told him I would run him home to get his other FOB. As we were getting ready to leave, I tried the rear hatch release button one more time. The damn hatch popped up.
You guys got REALLY lucky then! I've locked my keys in my rear hatch roughly once every 2 months, and have had no such luck. Once the hatch closes, a light bulb goes off in my head, followed immediatly by a swear word of some kind, then ends with me calling my girlfriend to bring the spare keys.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:05 PM
06 C6 vert
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

go to page 2-11 and 5-54 in owners manual..you can program car to sound horn and unlock vehicle if fob left in car..........when i did the museum delivery they went to great length to insure i understood how the fob worked and also the different ways to open car.........latch by seat and at the hatch.hope this helps..........you can download owners manual on corvettes website
This is the ticket, Prog the car to honk the 3 times and stay unlocked,

this has happend to me twice, it honked 3 times and was unlocked, what a relief it was.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:29 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,059 Likes on 1,367 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by 06 C6 vert
This is the ticket, Prog the car to honk the 3 times and stay unlocked,

this has happend to me twice, it honked 3 times and was unlocked, what a relief it was.
I'm not sure that would work with the OP's situation- he put the fob in the trunk instead of leaving it in the driver area.
Also, doors may already have been locked.

But I don't know for sure.
Anyone try this yet?
Old 12-28-2011, 06:14 PM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
I'm not sure that would work with the OP's situation- he put the fob in the trunk instead of leaving it in the driver area.
Also, doors may already have been locked.

But I don't know for sure.
Anyone try this yet?
Yes, the doors must have already been locked or they would still be open. The initiation of the door lock procedure is when both doors are closed. The OP was coming back to a locked car and putting his jacket with "keys" in the trunk of a locked car.

And, yes, the alarm and autolock cancel only work in the driver and passenger seat areas. Put the FOB in the trunk and the hatch will close normally and will not open again if it doesn't see a FOB outside near the hatch button. The alarm and lock-block also don't work if you put the FOB in the console away from the antennas in the door pillars. I find about the only thing the alarm and lock-block are good for is if the FOB somehow drops out of your pocket inside the car or you have it in a purse and leave the purse on the passenger seat or floor. Maybe that's why the "whiz kids" didn't mention it.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:42 AM
jack5hd
Burning Brakes

when i get time i am going to try different scenarios........i still keep my fob in my sock..........
Old 12-29-2011, 11:56 AM
turbod
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Key blank B106 turned to spare key hidden on exterior of car, just in case. Haven't locked myself out just yet!

Quick Reply: Locked Out