C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GrandSport v M3.........

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 10:21 PM
Z06LUST
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

OK. Lets make this simple. Real simple. Racer simple. The M3 is/was a target car.
The hunter was Ford and its' weapon- the 2012 Boss 302 Mustang. The Boss owns the M3 at Laguna Seca.

Watch the vid and then see the times posted at the end for the GT500, M3, Audi R8 and the Boss 302. Now, if the Boss 302 can take the M3...I feel quite positive the Grand Sport can kick the M3's tail. Grand Sport vs Boss 302...now that could get interesting on a road course like Laguna Seca.

The test was done by Motor Trend.

http://www.mustangevolution.com/must...302-vs-bmw-m3/

Last edited by Z06LUST; 12-27-2011 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:29 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
I've never owned one either. I do have a friend who has an older BMW (I think 8-9 years old now). He does spend a lot of money on it every couple of years. But I suppose that would likely be true of almost any car that old today. I've heard horror stories of what people spend on repairs on older Japanese cars as well. I can't speak for American cars - I don't know many people who keep them that long (not trying to be a smart-azz with that reply, I just don't hang out with many folks who keep cars that long).
Thanks for your input!
Old 12-27-2011, 10:50 PM
Mookster
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06LUST
OK. Lets make this simple. Real simple. Racer simple. The M3 is/was a target car.
The hunter was Ford and its' weapon- the 2012 Boss 302 Mustang. The Boss owns the M3 at Laguna Seca.

Watch the vid and then see the times posted at the end for the GT500, M3, Audi R8 and the Boss 302. Now, if the Boss 302 can take the M3...I feel quite positive the Grand Sport can kick the M3's tail. Grand Sport vs Boss 302...now that could get interesting on a road course like Laguna Seca.

The test was done by Motor Trend.

http://www.mustangevolution.com/must...302-vs-bmw-m3/
E92 M3 is already 5 year old technology so comparing it to the new Boss 302 is somewhat unfair i would say. Take the Boss 302 versus M3 GTS would be a different outcome
Old 12-27-2011, 10:58 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The M3 is a benchmark car for its class. A true driver's car that can be used comfortably everyday. But performance wise, its gets easily beat by a GS, let alone a Z06 (for those that bring it up)

If I could only have a single car for daily and spirited driving, an M3 would probably be it. I don't think a Corvette is uncomfortable (the Z is better than the whiners say) but the M3 is probably nicer to deal with on a day to day basis.

Since I can and do own more than one car, the Corvette was my choice for a weekend/fun car given its superior performance, value, and driving experience. The Corvette just feels more 'raw' than the M3 does. IMO, the LS3 and LS7 is a much better engine than the V8 they put in the M3 in just about every category... power band, torque, weight, size, and sound.

Last edited by Jawnathin; 12-27-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:09 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I've worked on BMWs and I find the parts are similarly priced to the vette. (Same "tax"). They are well built cars but like vettes, have their flaws.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:25 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by 89L98
I was in a restaurant tonight. A guy at the next table spent about an hour bragging about his new M3 to others at the table. Dominating all conversation, very obnoxious. "Cost 78K, 400+ HP, 5 speed, best handling Car out there, the best driver's car,........" yada, yada ,yada ad infinitum.

My question. How good is the M3? How would it perform compared to a six speed, GS? Thanks for any comments.
Once again, apples to oranges, but here's a good comparison;
A good friend has a 2010 M3 Coupe with the 6 speed manual, and I recently traded my wife's 2010 Mercedes C63 AMG sedan for a 2012 C300 Sport 4Matic, and my toy is a 2010 GS coupe 6 speed manual.
C63 completely spanks M3 in acceleration up to whatever speed you want, and GS completely does the same to the C63. Handling wise, M3 has a slight edge over C63, but GS has a bigger edge over M3, and braking is very close, with the edge quite possibly going to the GS, but barely. We're comparing a sedan, a sport coupe and a sports car, so all is subjective, based on need and preference.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:37 PM
Mayonayze
Le Mans Master

Location: Prepare yourself, for a pride obliterating bich smack. Fairfax, VA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08
SEC > BCS 4 St. Judes '09

Originally Posted by Mookster
Seriously dude, it barely outperforms it and M3 is a GT car and not an all purpose sports car
i can be dim at times so someone will have to educate me on what the hell a "purpose built sports car" is. when i look at these two cars, i view them both as high performance cars. that the M3 elects to have a backseat, pig-wieght, and call itself a 'GT car' adds zero value in the discussion/evaluation of which is the better performing vehicle.

which is a better "utility" or "all around" vehicle? beats the chit out of me. i buy vettes for performance. *shrug*
Old 12-28-2011, 04:44 PM
06 C6 vert
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Vrs does not apply. totally different cars obviously.

The beamer is a sedan, lots of weight, different power and handling.

I don't get the comparison.

FYI I schooled a late M3 in my base vert.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:36 PM
ALMS21
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Mookster
Seriously dude, it barely outperforms it and M3 is a GT car and not an all purpose sports car

http://www.fastestlaps.com/compariso..._sport_c6.html

Numbers dont lie....

Here is a very fair review by someone who has owned both
Mookster - I am the person that posted that comment on M3post. I was so intrigued by the DCT in the M3 that I sold the GS and bought the DCT M3. The main reason I sold the GS and bought the M3 is that I was tired and bored of driving my 4Runner every day (well, 85% of the time) and wanted a great GT car. I just couldn't drive my 911 as a daily driver and, even though the Vette is a more comfortable ride, I still couldn't drive it as a DD either. IMO the E92M3 is the best combination of performance, luxury and utility out there.

My opinions have not changed from what I posted before. Although, I will say that whoever is driving the Vette better know how to drive it (see launch, throttle control, etc.) or the M3 is going to beat you in a race that is very close to begin with. All of this obviously meaning stock vs stock.

Performance wise -- a C6Z06 thumps the E92M3.....we all knew that already though.

Still love the looks of the widebody Vettes....please just step up the damn interior with the C7. Here is a quick pic of my M3.

Last edited by ALMS21; 12-29-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:55 PM
jonathontodd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your looking for a sweet interior, get the Cadillac xlr
Old 12-29-2011, 07:32 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jonathontodd
Or the CTS-V, Its worlds better then the vette and the BMW. THe vettes interior is cheap to say the least, but every BMW ive ever been in (including the M3) is pretty crappy to, better then the vette, but certainly not the interior of a car in that price range.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:04 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by jonathontodd
Compared to the CTS the XLR is totally out of date.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:09 PM
ALMS21
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by breecher_7
Or the CTS-V, Its worlds better then the vette and the BMW. THe vettes interior is cheap to say the least, but every BMW ive ever been in (including the M3) is pretty crappy to, better then the vette, but certainly not the interior of a car in that price range.
You are out of your mind if you think that glossy black plastic **** they put in the CTS-V is better than what is in an M3 let alone the M5 or M6.

It's not only about how it looks as well....it's what it's made of. The GM stuff is littered with gaudy shiny cheap plastic bits. Sorry, it is what it is.

I don't want to get this thread off track nor do I have a desire to continue to post negative stuff about the Vette or GM for that matter. We all know the Vette's few short coming vis a vis the interior. I simply wanted to offer my opinons of the two cars in question as I've recently own(ed) both.

Last edited by ALMS21; 12-29-2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:18 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
Compared to the CTS the XLR is totally out of date.
Out of date and about two years out of production too.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:00 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ALMS21
You are out of your mind if you think that glossy black plastic **** they put in the CTS-V is better than what is in an M3 let alone the M5 or M6.

It's not only about how it looks as well....it's what it's made of. The GM stuff is littered with gaudy shiny cheap plastic bits. Sorry, it is what it is.

I don't want to get this thread off track nor do I have a desire to continue to post negative stuff about the Vette or GM for that matter. We all know the Vette's few short coming vis a vis the interior. I simply wanted to offer my opinons of the two cars in question as I've recently own(ed) both.
Im going to disagree, I have several friends with bimmers and there interiors are falling apart.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:44 PM
rpm94
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ALMS21
Still love the looks of the widebody Vettes....please just step up the damn interior with the C7. Here is a quick pic of my M3.

Sweet M3, love the color and wheels. My neighbor has a black one. My daily driver is a 4Runner and I have been toying with the idea of replacing it with a M3 or a Cayman S.

Oh, who cares about the Vettes cheap interior, just go with Caravaggio and solve the problem yourself.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:00 AM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by TKgs2010
Once again, apples to oranges, but here's a good comparison;
A good friend has a 2010 M3 Coupe with the 6 speed manual, and I recently traded my wife's 2010 Mercedes C63 AMG sedan for a 2012 C300 Sport 4Matic, and my toy is a 2010 GS coupe 6 speed manual.
C63 completely spanks M3 in acceleration up to whatever speed you want, and GS completely does the same to the C63. Handling wise, M3 has a slight edge over C63, but GS has a bigger edge over M3, and braking is very close, with the edge quite possibly going to the GS, but barely. We're comparing a sedan, a sport coupe and a sports car, so all is subjective, based on need and preference.

Good comparison from someone who actually has driven all of these Cars.

Get notified of new replies

To GrandSport v M3.........

Old 12-30-2011, 01:02 AM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by breecher_7
Im going to disagree, I have several friends with bimmers and there interiors are falling apart.
I'm with ALMS21 on this one

My brother has a 1999 BMW 328i (E46) with over 150k miles and its interior is nicer than my C6. Yup, its a 13 year old car and its interior is still great looking and has worn quite well.

For my replacement daily driver, I am strongly considering some sort of BMW.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:21 AM
Jaxon
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BMW beating a Vette??? Bitch, please. Btw, you don't want to be seen in a BMW, do you?
Old 12-30-2011, 04:22 AM
McLendon95
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AmitZ06
American muscle is American muscle.......
The irony in that statement is that any European sports car enthusiast would use that same statement as an insult to american cars, rather than the compliment you intend it to be

Quick Reply: GrandSport v M3.........