C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

daily driveability with agresive camshaft...your experiences

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 12:05 PM
foler
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default daily driveability with agresive camshaft...your experiences

hello from europe...
I am interested in LS3 crate engine. Please, explain me how agressive camshaft like gm hot cam or ASA can affect driveability in slow driving condition like parking place, start/stop city driving...? Here I dont have opportunity to drive cars with this engine.

thanks
Old 12-25-2011, 12:19 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Had a big cam in my 72' Buick GS Stage1,had a run a vacuum can for the power brake booster. Not sure about today's cams.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:47 PM
Mach2
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My next door neighbor has a 2008 Z06 that he bought with a nasty Comp Cam bumpstick, along with ported heads, bee hive springs, Kooks headers & exhaust with Corsa axle back. Engine builder says more hp than a ZR1 but less torque than ZR1. When he fires it up, all the birds in close vacinity of his garage fly away squawking and they don't come back for a while. It sounds like feeding time at the zoo when it lights off, till it warms up a little. He drives it only on the street, little runs out in our desert two lane roads and around town. It's not a daily driver, but very close to it. He does let it warm up for 2-3 minutes before he backs it out of the driveway though. Just don't look at the gas gauge while driving it around town.
Old 12-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Bone Daddy
Member: Jr Geezer's Club
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subscribing..
Old 12-25-2011, 05:35 PM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Define aggressive? I have a relatively mild cam ( to some) 224/230 Comp cam and I love it. I just got back from a road trip to orlando and it drove great!!
Old 12-25-2011, 06:15 PM
DSOM Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by foler
hello from europe...
I am interested in LS3 crate engine. Please, explain me how agressive camshaft like gm hot cam or ASA can affect driveability in slow driving condition like parking place, start/stop city driving...? Here I dont have opportunity to drive cars with this engine.

thanks
Stumbling on low RPM's and difficulty maneuvering when parking. Just to name a few........
Old 12-25-2011, 07:07 PM
Mike V.
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Simple answer, sorta...

It will make a big difference in driveability if truely aggressive. My cam is 228/232 114LSA+ 590+int./601exh. By conventional standards this is a mild cam, although the lift over .600 is getting towards the aggressive side. If you've never driven a stock LS2, it would not appear out of line, if you have, you'll notice a slight shake to the car, definate difference in exhaust note, particularly w/ headers & aftermarket mufflers, and some surging at low rpms along w/ need to rev a little higher when taking off (6sp man.) 230/234 depending on lift & LSA would be max. for what might be consider mild at the far end.

Aggressive is more often 230+/236+ & over .600 lift & although you will hear people say, "mine's fine as D.Dvr", is B.S. unless your last car was a hot cammed muscle car. Parking lots, stop start, and even highway driving def. affected. Not to mention a significant loss is mpg.

A lot of factors to consider as in other mods, auto vs stick, diff. gearing, etc. Lots of opinions, because it's based on perspective. My daily driver is a Lexus which is so quiet and isolated from vibration I've actually got out of car & walk away w/o realizing it's still running. A mistake you'd never make getting out of my vette which by most standards is to be considered mild cammed.

Finally, you need to be the ultimate decider on what makes sense, an aggressive cam can give up torque & driveabilty & not make you any faster which, after all, is the whole point, right?

Last edited by Mike V.; 12-25-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:10 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I've got a fully built Lingenfelter 403 motor with what I consider a 'mid-range' cam. I drove it on the street for years with no adverse issues. I wouldn't necessarily get the most radical cam you can...I think a balance of performance and reliability is preferable.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:13 PM
sdunn
Instructor

Driveabilty will be all on your tuner. I would say I have one of the most aggressive cams than most. The drivability is fine. The only suggestion I would make is if you haven't liked a "loping" cam until now, don't do it. My cam is 24x/25x lift is 66x/63x on a 110 + 2. I get a lot of compliments and love it myself. I don't have brake issues, idling issues or stumbling.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:53 PM
foler
Intermediate

Originally Posted by davidtcpa
Define aggressive? I have a relatively mild cam ( to some) 224/230 Comp cam and I love it. I just got back from a road trip to orlando and it drove great!!
engine 1 ls 376/525:
The ASA camshaft is a hydraulic roller with .525-inch lift on both sides, along with 226 degrees duration on the intake side and 236 degrees on the exhaust side. Coupled with a tight, 110-degree lobe separation angle, it helps the engine deliver excellent throttle response and breathe exceptionally well at high rpm. And for durability, the cam is complemented with higher-rate valve springs.

engine 2 ls 376/480:
Camshaft: Steel Hydraulic Roller Tappet
Cam Lift: .525” Intake / .525” exhaust
Cam Duration @ .050”: 219 deg. Intake / 228 deg. Exhaust
Lobe Separation: 112 Degree
Cylinder Heads: Aluminum L92 style ports.
Combustion Chamber: 68cc
Valves: 2.165” Intake/ 1.590” Exhaust
Rocker Arms: Cast Roller Trunnion, 1.7:1 Ratio
Balance: Internal
Reluctor: 58X

Get notified of new replies

To daily driveability with agresive camshaft...your experiences

Quick Reply: daily driveability with agresive camshaft...your experiences