C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Burning Smell solution?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 12:42 PM
JRS 94
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same problem on my '08. Fill the oil to the full mark only. Fixed the issue on mine. no more smell. 6 quarts was too much.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:22 PM
bbudman
Instructor

Same problem here. Chevy dealer changed the oil and I had a smell in the vents for weeks afterwards. I tried cleaning under the car, checking the filter, nothing worked except driving the car and let it go away on it's own. I plan to speak to the service department about it on the next service. BTW, smell was worse after the car was warm and I was sitting at a stoplight!
Old 12-26-2011, 04:08 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,508 Likes on 820 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Ketchum,
Did you have your oil changed at a dealership?

Chevrolet Customer Service,
Justin
what difference does that make?
Old 12-26-2011, 04:10 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,489 Likes on 1,951 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

this is one solution by John T. " After driving 2,000 miles, with that smell of burning oil, I finally took my car to West Coast Corvettes, Orange County, CA, and had portions of the engine scrubbed off with brake cleaner. That, combined with installation of a Purolator carbon cabin filter, seems to have eliminated the odor. It had to have been a spill. West Coast did in half an hour what the dealer couldn't do in more than a month! The attitude and expertise at WCC was phenomenal and the price was minimal! "

from his thread on same, post #83. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-beware-5.html
Old 12-26-2011, 04:21 PM
Ketchum
Drifting

YES I do. The two dealerships I use have a great price on a Mobil oil change. Not about to do it myself and worry about oil disposal and such. I looked it over long and hard for any oil on anything. Never did find anything. It took over a 1000 miles to go away. As I mentioned some oil stinks bad when first installed. Amsoil and Rotella to name two. In fact Rotella is called smeltella by the diesel crowed. It stinks pretty bad for about 1000 miles.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:04 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

It's odd this subject has come up quite a bit lately.
I never gave it much thought but right after my last 2 oil changes I was also getting oil smell for a little while.
It would happen on the the first few drives after changing the oil.
Noticed it when stopping for traffic or at a light, but no other time.
Must say though it would only do it for the 1st and 2nd time out driving, maybe once after that and then never again.
I know I didn't spill oil on anything when changing it.
I'm starting to think it's just some of the oil that gets on the block up in and around where the filter screws on when changing it.
Last 2 times I drove the car since my recent oil change, got a faint oil smell when I stopped.
Went for a ride today and no more oil smell
Old 12-26-2011, 10:57 PM
Dial In Corvette
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Both my friend and I have gone thru this in the last year as
I bought my 09 new in May of 2010 and he bought his in December of 09.
He took his car in to the dealer shortly after purchase for an oil
smell and they found no leaks. He came over to my house and told me
the story so I put the car on ramps up front and took
a real good look under the car. I was surprised that I agreed with the
dealer and this car is not leaking anything. What he finally figured out
was gm stuffs the spark plug boots full of what appears to be lithium grease.
When things get warm some grease would leak out onto the engine and
exhaust manifold and cause the burning oil smell.
When I bought my car I experienced the exact same problem.
I pulled the boots off and removed the excess grease.

Hope this helps,
Gary
Old 12-26-2011, 11:14 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 866 Likes on 609 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by Ketchum
YES I do. The two dealerships I use have a great price on a Mobil oil change. Not about to do it myself and worry about oil disposal and such. I looked it over long and hard for any oil on anything. Never did find anything. It took over a 1000 miles to go away. As I mentioned some oil stinks bad when first installed. Amsoil and Rotella to name two. In fact Rotella is called smeltella by the diesel crowed. It stinks pretty bad for about 1000 miles.
I change my own oil and there is never any smell unless I spill it on the exhaust piping (which hasn't happened in a while and never on my C6).

It's not uncommon for oil change places get oil on the exhaust piping. It has nothing to do with the oil (brand and type) itself.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:21 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 687 Likes on 510 Posts

Mad*Max,
If the work was done at a GM dealership, I want to make sure this concern is addressed. I can call their service department and speak with their mechanic/service manager with the goal of finding a possible resolution.

Chevrolet Customer Service,
Justin

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
what difference does that make?
Old 10-05-2012, 09:23 PM
pmt67usa
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts

Justin,

I just had my oil changed on my 2009 Z51 (10k miles)at Weseloh Chevrolet in Carlsbad, CA (10/2/2012), immediately had the burning oil smell at stop lights after the car warmed up. Took it back on 10/3/2012, put in a the lift and checked every part of the oil change-related areas..the oil pan bolt, oil filter and the oil fill location on the passenger side valve cover including removing the engine cover on that side. There was no evidence of any oil being present. This seems to be a chronic problem wi LS3, LS7 & LS9. PLEASE figure it out and issue a TSB to prevent it.

Pat Terry
pmt67usa@live.com
Old 10-06-2012, 04:58 AM
Ketchum
Drifting

Last three oil changes on my 2008 one of those smelled for two weeks. The other times no smell.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:28 AM
Mchapman
Advanced

Had my first oil change done about 6 weeks ago at the dealership. I usually do it myself but the first change came with the car. There is a very strong oil burning smell only when I stop at a light and the engine is warm. I have put ~500 miles on the car since the change and the smell is as strong as ever. I checked the engine over and there is no spillage anywhere and no sign of a spill that was cleaned.

I highly doubt the smell would come from a filter. My filter is dry and since it sits under ender the engine in the rear I do not think the airconditioning intake near the cowl would pick it up; but maybe. Oil temps have been running around 225-230 max (that would then be the temp of the pan and filter) which I do not think is hot enough to generate a burning smell. Obviously the manifold is much hotter and would create the smell.

This is a very frustrating yet puzzling problem. I would love to take the car back to the dealer and have them analyze this. However, the dealer that did the change (where we bought the car) is not close and is pain to get to.

Anything new someone can recommend?

Last edited by Mchapman; 10-15-2012 at 09:31 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-15-2012, 09:55 AM
Ketchum
Drifting

I still wonder if its not the oil itself. On the Dodge diesel forumns some brands of oil stink bad for 500 or so miles or longer. Diesels do not have a closed PCV system. Its open. Which gas cars are closed. Anyhow they sell a orange smelling additive that is added with a oil change to make the stink smell like oranges and easier to live with. Its not all oils. Certain brands. I wonder if adding this orange smelling additive would curtail the issue with these cars. If it did it would prove it IS the oil itself. I read where its whats in the additive packs in the oil. Can't remember where to get this additive. Its a small bottle you add with the oil.

Last edited by Ketchum; 10-15-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:27 AM
Ketchum
Drifting

I could'nt find that additive. Will look some more. BUT if you Google oil smell after oil change many posts from many forumns and from many different car owners with same symptoms and complaint. Almost verbatim of whats been posted on this post/threads. Many different brands of cars and trucks. Some talk about stinky oils. Some about PCV/CCV systems. Many go on about how its not every time or with same brand of oils etc. All talked about going over engines and such looking for spills,leaks and so on. But the ones I read none had a answer.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:17 PM
Ketchum
Drifting

Found the additive. Its called DIESEL FRESH. Treats up to 12 quarts. Really curious if this would stop the burning oil smell. Half a bottle mixed in wouldn't hurt a thing. Here it is. http://3rdstrikeperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=7758
Old 10-15-2012, 03:18 PM
Mchapman
Advanced

Thanks.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:27 PM
c6miller
Drifting

Received 168 Likes on 118 Posts

If I recall, the filter should be torqued 21lbs and the plug 18.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:53 PM
99Z51
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm on my third oil change on my new to me '09. The first one was done by the dealer which had a bad oil smell for 2K miles. I did the second change, also a bad smell for 2K miles. I just did the 3rd change and sprayed brake cleaner all over the oil pan before filling with new oil.

Only slight hints of oil smell in the first 100 miles. I'm not sure if this is the answer, but it did reduce the smell in my case.

BTW. I do have the carbon cabin filter installed.

Ron

Quick Reply: Oil Burning Smell solution?