C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do the youger corvette owners afford their Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 01:08 AM
Need4Speed90
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 21 years old and corvettes have been apart of my family since my dad was 18. In my family we have always been about work hard play hard and man did I work. When I was born my dad bought a 90 vette and then when I turned 14 I starts workin for my family for parts and restoration for that car because we didn't drive it at all and it needed work..after my 18th birthday I sold the vette and bought a 90 zr1 for the history of the car and the six speed with only 20k miles. All my time and money and hard work goes into the car making it the best it can be and be appreciative for everything I have
Old 12-14-2011, 01:57 AM
bluedevil99
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 152 Posts

These cars really don't cost a lot, especially depending on how new you are looking.

Started working full time in IT at 19, and bought my first.. a '95 that was waiting to blow up.

Wised up and went for something newer (modded '97 which was great) at 21, bought a house, 2 motorcycles, another car and truck that same year.

As of this year I've honed my vehicle collection to serve specific purposes. The most notable thing is I've targeted vehicles as absolutely new as possible because the peace of mind warranty gives me is well worth the extra cost.

'02 Honda VFR800 (general cruising)
'07 Husqvarna TE450 (dual-sport off road)
'12 FJR1300 (distance cruising)

'10 Dodge RAM 1500 (commute / hauling my dog around)
'10 GS Vette (good times, any time!)

And all of it is fit into a huge driveway/garage (attached to a house, but that's secondary) bought specifically for the toys/dog. I'm 24 now, and how do I afford it?

1. Good jobs. The IT industry is cash rich and competitive.
2. Perfect credit
3. Responsible/smart decisions (reference point #2)

I had a good life growing up, but all that did was give me expensive tastes. I've worked for everything I have - although I'm in the minority in that regard for the area I live in. Also noted a reference to "smoke and mirrors" earlier I meant to address.. that is only ever an issue if you fail to plan properly. I've been laid off from two companies that have gone under, never been a problem.

Last edited by bluedevil99; 12-14-2011 at 02:00 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:34 AM
Wild
Instructor

I'm 24 and have a job at bell helicopter.. thats how i afford mine
Old 12-14-2011, 04:42 AM
BAD-VET 999
7th Gear

I have a 2010 GS vette and I am 20 years old, I got it from saving money.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:55 AM
locosmith
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default zr6x

Originally Posted by Snakes & Arrows
Have you shown that car at the Elmhurst show?
No, I haven't even heard of that show but I'll look into it. I haven't even received my car back from stuartspnb.com
Old 12-14-2011, 10:43 AM
Divvi
Burning Brakes

I'm 22, with an '06 coupe.

Been working since 16, full scholarship, all while living rent-free. A used vette is not anymore expensive than any other new relatively 'sporty' vehicle, such as BMWs, Suburu's, etc.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:01 PM
Kevin_NYC
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

You young guys making big bucks.....

Better be saving, big time.

Im all for having 3+ cars, etc.

Word to the wise, if you are making big bucks you should save and have at least $100K liquid. The good times dont last forever AND keep in mind many who hit their 40s experience massive hits to assets or income.

NO ONE is immune from risk....and the older you get the more business, financial, and personal risk you are subject too....just a function of odds & time.

Many 25, 30, 35 year olds are like wow Im hitting homers...I must be perfect. Then boom fraud, lawsuit or health hits and they are bankrupt or dead.

I have seen it again and again. From Harvard Business School grads to the high school grad Contractor thats worth a million pre-housing bust.

Nothing spells success like $100K-1 Million liquid.

$ can make a lot of problems go away.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:06 PM
Snakes & Arrows
Pro

Originally Posted by Kevin_NYC
You young guys making big bucks.....

Better be saving, big time.

Im all for having 3+ cars, etc.

Word to the wise, if you are making big bucks you should save and have at least $100K liquid. The good times dont last forever AND keep in mind many who hit their 40s experience massive hits to assets or income.

NO ONE is immune from risk....and the older you get the more business, financial, and personal risk you are subject too....just a function of odds & time.

Many 25, 30, 35 year olds are like wow Im hitting homers...I must be perfect. Then boom fraud, lawsuit or health hits and they are bankrupt or dead.

I have seen it again and again. From Harvard Business School grads to the high school grad Contractor thats worth a million pre-housing bust.

Nothing spells success like $100K-1 Million liquid.

$ can make a lot of problems go away.

Wonder what 40k of gold will be worth in 20 years...
Old 12-14-2011, 01:48 PM
KevinZ51C6
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Bought mine 3 yrs ago at 25 mainly due to my good credit and no kids. When I see someone my age with one I give the thumbs up, if they look younger I assume their family has money lol
Old 12-14-2011, 01:51 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,934 Likes on 4,814 Posts

Wonder what 40k of gold will be worth in 20 years...
What does that have to do with anything, you ever stay on topic.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:55 PM
AP
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, I was 26 when I got a Vette, so here is how I got it:

My parents are well off, therefore I was not asked to help out in any way with money/bills. From 19 years old to 26, I saved a bunch of money working during college, which my parents paid for 100%, when I turned 26, I had about 30K saved up, I was 4 years into a stable job and so I bought the car.

I am not ashamed to have successful parents, they have allowed me to get things I could not have otherwise (read $120,000 college education) and not have any debt for it.

On a related note, before buying the Vette, I bought and paid off a Nissan Altima for my mom, its what she wanted and I got her as a thank-you for college.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:55 PM
Snakes & Arrows
Pro

Originally Posted by dvilin
What does that have to do with anything, you ever stay on topic.
WTF..are you stalking me? Getting creapy..

But to answer your question..It was in response and agreement with another member. When one is younger it may be wise to invest the 40k over buying a 40k car. Pretty simple..
Old 12-14-2011, 02:08 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

WTF..are you stalking me? Getting creapy..

But to answer your question..It was in response and agreement with another member. When one is younger it may be wise to invest the 40k over buying a 40k car. Pretty simple..
Maybe it is, but the question is How do younger Corvette owners afford their Vette. Don't forget your original response to that was 98% of younger (20-25) year olds got their money from their parents and that is how they got their Vette.
Most of the responses from the younger owners shows this not to be the case.
You on the other hand just flip flop from one position to another.
As for stalking you, I will leave that to your Husband.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:20 PM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The OP's question was asked like Vettes cost as much as a Lambo or something.. with incentives now, new base models are around $40k, MSRP is $49k.. A cheap new car will be from $16k to $22k. A little saving and it is possible. Easier for a young single person then someone married with kids!!!
Back when I was 22 (1979) I was in the military and making enough I bought a used car for $9k. I didn't stop to look at Vettes because I though they were too expensive,, found out later a new 79 MSRP was $10.6k,, I could have had a used 78 for the same price as the car I bought.

By the time I figured out I could afford one, I was married with kids, and could no longer afford one.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:22 PM
Snakes & Arrows
Pro

Originally Posted by dvilin
Maybe it is, but the question is How do younger Corvette owners afford their Vette. Don't forget your original response to that was 98% of younger (20-25) year olds got their money from their parents and that is how they got their Vette.
Most of the responses from the younger owners shows this not to be the case.
You on the other hand just flip flop from one position to another.
As for stalking you, I will leave that to your Husband.
You think your funny yet you come across as odd.

How many 20-25 year olds do you think live in this country & own Vettes? Yet we have what 50 that post on CF and say tell us what they accomplished? Obviously, the younger guys that posted on CF are worthy of admiration and praise. However, just because a few younger guys on CF have accomplished this is in no way any reflection of the general population.

Not to many younger guys or girls are going to come on CF and say my mommy & daddy bought this for me. If they did thats fine. But that as you can see is quite rare.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:25 PM
Snakes & Arrows
Pro

Originally Posted by hig4s
The OP's question was asked like Vettes cost as much as a Lambo or something.. with incentives now, new base models are around $40k, MSRP is $49k.. A cheap new car will be from $16k to $22k. A little saving and it is possible. Easier for a young single person then someone married with kids!!!
Back when I was 22 (1979) I was in the military and making enough I bought a used car for $9k. I didn't stop to look at Vettes because I though they were too expensive,, found out later a new 79 MSRP was $10.6k,, I could have had a used 78 for the same price as the car I bought.

By the time I figured out I could afford one, I was married with kids, and could no longer afford one.
No room for kids in that 78.. You have one now and a family. You obviously made the right decisions..
Old 12-14-2011, 02:27 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

I could care less........seriously.....

Get notified of new replies

To How do the youger corvette owners afford their Corvette?

Old 12-14-2011, 02:29 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

You think your funny yet you come across as odd.

How many 20-25 year olds do you think live in this country & own Vettes? Yet we have what 50 that post on CF and say tell us what they accomplished? Obviously, the younger guys that posted on CF are worthy of admiration and praise. However, just because a few younger guys on CF have accomplished this is in no way any reflection of the general population.

Not to many younger guys or girls are going to come on CF and say my mommy & daddy bought this for me. If they did thats fine. But that as you can see is quite rare.
So they represent the 2%, because you say so, and you know that 98% get their money from their Parents. Many young adults are making good money compared to times past with the new demand for skills in the IT field to just name one.
Also many more than 2% I dare say want to live life now and not worry about 40 years down the road.
If they want a Vette they get it, simple and not as difficult as you seem to think.

Last edited by dvilin; 12-14-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:33 PM
MB2
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is another useless post.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:34 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by MB2
This is another useless post.
Thread

Quick Reply: How do the youger corvette owners afford their Corvette?