C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you so "Fanatical" with your Vette that you are losing your full enjoyment?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 08:39 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Supersonic GS
I am sure that the vast majority of Corvette owners are very fussy with their cars! We watch where we park, try not to follow cars too closely etc. etc. etc. But being so fussy or fanatical with these cars....do we skimp on our enjoyment of the car? I mean, no matter how careful we are things do happen.....
Odd that you would ask this question today. I was just thinking the same thing today. I live in the south east suburbs of Houston. Most of my Corvette driving is in my area, or the back roads that I take south and southwest of Houston. I'm on vacation this week, and plan to go up to the north side of town tomorrow - but I HATE driving the Corvette through the middle of town on busy freeways. I'm always worried about crap being thrown up from passing trucks and such.

I have actually wondered if I should buy a different "toy" car that maybe I would not be so **** about and would be more practical for my running around town. Maybe an M3 for instance. And while I think that would be fun car I really have not gotten serious about it.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:48 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Luster
A long-time friend of mine gets NO enjoyment out of his Triple black convertible.

The only time he's happy is when it's freshly detailed, in the garage, with the cover on it.

I've tried to understand this for years and I just don't get it.

(I think the issue is that he loves it when it's clean, but hates cleaning it. So he would rather have it spotless and never drive it..... )
Let me try to explain. I also have a phobia of heights. People ask me if I feel like I'm going to fall or am afraid of falling. Consciously the answer is no. I don't think of falling at all. A phobia of heights is just a visual thing that is hard to explain - you simply have a feeling come over you that you are not in control of.

Phobia of my toy car is the same thing. BTW, I have fairly nice daily drivers as well, and I take very good care of them. But I don't get all worked up and become suicidal when one of them gets a paint chip or minor blemish because it's all about expectations. As a daily driver I know it is unavoidable. But my expectation for the Corvette is very different. I tell people all the time that I don't wish my addiction on anyone else.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:59 PM
CH-Z51
Drifting

Location: The Great Pacific Northwest...........I carry a gun cause a cops too heavy.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That would be a yes for me. I do drive it several days a week and after 6 short years, i think it still looks new.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:02 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,458 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Always kept clean and detailed.

Meticulously serviced.

Cruise around town/to car shows/once in a while to work and back.

And periodically run all out on the track.

I think that's a pretty good balance.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:03 PM
Luster
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
Let me try to explain. I also have a phobia of heights. People ask me if I feel like I'm going to fall or am afraid of falling. Consciously the answer is no. I don't think of falling at all. A phobia of heights is just a visual thing that is hard to explain - you simply have a feeling come over you that you are not in control of.

Phobia of my toy car is the same thing. BTW, I have fairly nice daily drivers as well, and I take very good care of them. But I don't get all worked up and become suicidal when one of them gets a paint chip or minor blemish because it's all about expectations. As a daily driver I know it is unavoidable. But my expectation for the Corvette is very different. I tell people all the time that I don't wish my addiction on anyone else.
I've even told my buddy that I would detail his car after every drive....... He didn't like the idea of me touching his car!
Old 12-08-2011, 09:05 PM
Stockcar Axeman
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Crowhater
I take very good care of both of my Vetts but I drive them like they stole something from my mother. If something breaks or blows up it was not strong enough and needed to be replaced with something better. I mean that is the point of a sports car! If you were married to a smoking hot Playmate would you just wash her hair and look at her????? Or would you grab a hand full of hair while doing the dog and tell her this is how her sister likes it, then hold on.

That was classic! Thanks for the laugh!
Old 12-08-2011, 09:07 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Always kept clean and detailed.

Meticulously serviced.

Cruise around town/to car shows/once in a while to work and back.

And periodically run all out on the track.

I think that's a pretty good balance.

It's an excellent balance, IMO. Kudo's to you !

(I guess I secretly aspire to the same...have to get to some shows & the track; other parts covered!)
Old 12-08-2011, 09:27 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Luster
I've even told my buddy that I would detail his car after every drive....... He didn't like the idea of me touching his car!
BTW, I should point out that while I'm **** about the car in traffic, I do have 16,000 miles on it and I do drive it like I stole it. Being on vacation this week, I went out for a nice ride in the country yesterday. I saw speeds that cannot even remotely be discussed on the forum. So I do have some balance in my life.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:29 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,458 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
It's an excellent balance, IMO. Kudo's to you !

(I guess I secretly aspire to the same...have to get to some shows & the track; other parts covered!)

It's all a great time. The shows and track will introduce you to even more great car guys. I try to be like a sponge, and soak up as much knowledge as I can. And of course have a good time along the way.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:32 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

^^^ oh, I know...been there before & had great fun & events.

just need to straighten-out my work/travel schedule. I'll get there...!

thx G
Old 12-08-2011, 09:38 PM
Luster
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
BTW, I should point out that while I'm **** about the car in traffic, I do have 16,000 miles on it and I do drive it like I stole it. Being on vacation this week, I went out for a nice ride in the country yesterday. I saw speeds that cannot even remotely be discussed on the forum. So I do have some balance in my life.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:40 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Supersonic GS
I am sure that the vast majority of Corvette owners are very fussy with their cars! We watch where we park, try not to follow cars too closely etc. etc. etc. But being so fussy or fanatical with these cars....do we skimp on our enjoyment of the car? I mean, no matter how careful we are things do happen.....
I take care of my Corvette, as with all of my cars. However I enjoy them, and drive them, year around.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:42 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I'm more careful with my Vette compared to my daily driver 07 Impala but you have to be if you don't want to destroy the front end. But even then the front spoiler/air dam on the GS are relatively cheap if it does happen.

I don't drive it in snow/rain if I can avoid it because moisture hides potholes. Since the rims cost over $500 each why risk it if you don't have to?
Old 12-08-2011, 10:03 PM
mazurekd
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 150 Posts

To me it's a Chevy. A great one, but still a Chevy, very replaceable. I put all season tires on it, and use as a daily driver. Will I drive it in fresh snow? Not if see it coming and take my 4 x 4 pickup. I have other much lesser cars that I treat with kid gloves. So it isn't the value, it's the emotion. Now, if I had a ZR1 or a Z06, that probably would be treated as a toy. But not my base coupe. I enjoy it; ergo, I drive it.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Snakes & Arrows
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mazurekd
To me it's a Chevy. A great one, but still a Chevy, very replaceable. I put all season tires on it, and use as a daily driver. Will I drive it in fresh snow? Not if see it coming and take my 4 x 4 pickup. I have other much lesser cars that I treat with kid gloves. So it isn't the value, it's the emotion. Now, if I had a ZR1 or a Z06, that probably would be treated as a toy. But not my base coupe. I enjoy it; ergo, I drive it.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:36 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,220 Likes on 831 Posts

I keep it very clean but as I get older I can accept a few flaws here and there and call them character blems... I also drive it an average of 200 or so per week.

I positively enjoy it.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:15 PM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The car is just not practical to really enjoy it. I've had vettes a long time. No space
can't run many errands. You have to watch too close how you pull into parking or if lot has speed bumps. Can't take a chance that go some place might run into road work,
so low will rub on a ruler. If a road trip runs into rain, another oh dam, what if hit
high water. Its become a nuisance car. Fun only if its a vette drive. No strike out a alternate route on a whim like can in my truck. Course I've driven sport cars all my
life. Maybe for someone who finally got to a point to afford one its different.

Get notified of new replies

To Are you so "Fanatical" with your Vette that you are losing your full enjoyment?

Old 12-09-2011, 12:56 AM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

I am fanatical about everything I care about.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:03 AM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Crowhater
I take very good care of both of my Vetts but I drive them like they stole something from my mother. If something breaks or blows up it was not strong enough and needed to be replaced with something better. I mean that is the point of a sports car! If you were married to a smoking hot Playmate would you just wash her hair and look at her????? Or would you grab a hand full of hair while doing the dog and tell her this is how her sister likes it, then hold on.

On a serious note, I drive my Vettes, I am careful. And, when it gets dirty I clean it.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:08 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,334 Posts

I am very particular about my cars in general and my Corvette in particular.

However, that particular nature does not induce me to let it sit undriven; therefore, it is my daily driver in all weather (that we have here), to the tune of about 12K miles year and over 60K total to date. This February it will be 6 years old.

I cannot imagine having it and not enjoying it daily, and I miss it the rare day that I fail to drive it.

To me, having one and not driving it would be like making a ton of money (guilty) and not spending any of it before I die.

Quick Reply: Are you so "Fanatical" with your Vette that you are losing your full enjoyment?