C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hatch hinge recall: Who's still waiting on parts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 02:51 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Hatch hinge recall: Who's still waiting on parts?

I took my 2011 1LT with about 11,000 miles for its first oil change and recall compliance last month. The dealer took about 5 hours, which I don't mind because I can bring my laptop and get stuff done while waiting, to:

Check on my seatback, which sometimes if I flop into the seat too hard will flop right back with me. Maybe it was just a matter of breaking in, since it rarely happens anymore and the dealer couldn't find anything wrong. Under warranty, no charge.

Inspect the inside panel on the passenger door (when I was making the appointment, the service writer asked "is that the front seat or rear seat passenger door?" sighhhhhh) because it sounded to me like it was coming loose when I shut the passenger door with the window down. However, they couldn't duplicate the condition and now I can't either. I suppose I was just hearing things. Under warranty, no charge

Switch the tires left to right to equalize wear. I know some think this is just voodoo but it was only $20 and may save me an early set of $1,500ish replacements.

Oil and filter change, $60.

But the big thing was the hatch hinge recall, which as far as I can tell was inspired by the hinges not proving to be as strong in crashes as Chevy had hoped. Personally, I just try not to crash. Then again, since other people might at some point crash into me without asking, I said let's get this taken care of.

When they gave me the car back, they said they'd done everything BUT the hinge recall. They didn't have the parts, it turned out, and they would let me know when they came in. It would still take most of a day, they said, because the body shop had to do it--not a simple remove 'n replace.

Pretty satisfactory experience overall, especially since they washed the car without charge, much appreciated for a black car that lives on a farm. However, this all happened on 15 November and I'm still waiting on the hatch hinges. Anybody else?
Old 12-05-2011, 02:54 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,195 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

hinge recall?? must be a new thing

11K for first oil change???? How in the hell do people do that???
Old 12-05-2011, 03:00 PM
Zogs2011
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 11V491000

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
CHEVROLET / CORVETTE 2011-2012

Manufacturer: GENERAL MOTORS LLC Mfr's Report Date: OCT 03, 2011
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 11V491000 N/A
NHTSA Action Number: N/A

Component: STRUCTURE:BODY:HATCHBACK/LIFTGATE:HINGE AND ATTACHMENTS
Potential Number of Units Affected: 5,755
Summary:
GENERAL MOTORS (GM) IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2011-2012 CHEVROLET CORVETTE COUPE VEHICLES, MANUFACTURED FROM JANUARY 24, 2011, THROUGH SEPTEMBER 1, 2011, FOR FAILING TO COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NUMBER 206, "DOOR LOCKS AND DOOR RETENTION COMPONENTS". THE REAR HATCH HINGES MAY NOT MEET THE LOAD REQUIREMENTS SPECIFIED IN THE SAFETY STANDARD.
Consequence:
THE REAR HATCH COULD SEPARATE IN THE EVENT OF A CRASH, INCREASING THE RISK OF INJURY.
Remedy:
GM WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND DEALERS WILL REPLACE BOTH REAR HATCH HINGES FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON OCTOBER 14, 2011. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438.
Notes:
GM'S SAFETY RECALL CAMPAIGN NUMBER IS 11258. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV

Mine was built during that time and I haven't heard anything yet, I kind of expected a letter or something.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:15 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Had mine done at Jim Ellis Chevrolet in Atlanta took about 45 minutes. Job well done I watched body shop tech do it peace of cake Tech knew job well other than lifting off and on one man job.
z51vett
Old 12-05-2011, 03:25 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter99
11K for first oil change???? How in the hell do people do that???
Found the service bill and it was 10,246, when the oil meter was down to 10% or so.

I haven't turned wrenches in years, but I'm an aviation mechanic, airframe and powerplant ratings, which took me 50% more class time than my law degree. If I learned anything, it was to maintain equipment exactly according to the manual from the factory that made it. They know what they're doing far more than anybody else. Here, Chevy says no need to change the oil any more often than the meter indicates. They're confident enough to warranty the powertrain for 100,000 miles if you do what they say.

Now let's proceed with the 142,698,905,531st emotional argument over oil change intervals.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:37 PM
Mchapman
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by z51vett
Had mine done at Jim Ellis Chevrolet in Atlanta took about 45 minutes. Job well done I watched body shop tech do it peace of cake Tech knew job well other than lifting off and on one man job.
z51vett
Glad to hear of a good Atlanta service experience. I have posted a question to Rick Hendricks about their service department with no reply (They sure do sell a lot of Vettes but no mention of service) and then there is my local dealer and the dealer I actually bought from (no gas in the tank or introduction to their service department at delivery). What the heck do you want for a $60-70K car?

I am waiting until spring to fix the recalled hinges. I'll keep tabs on the forum to see what further develops.........
Old 12-05-2011, 05:07 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchapman
Glad to hear of a good Atlanta service experience. I have posted a question to Rick Hendricks about their service department with no reply (They sure do sell a lot of Vettes but no mention of service) and then there is my local dealer and the dealer I actually bought from (no gas in the tank or introduction to their service department at delivery). What the heck do you want for a $60-70K car?

I am waiting until spring to fix the recalled hinges. I'll keep tabs on the forum to see what further develops.........
The best Corvette tech in our area is at Jim Ellis David Fulcher. I've owned vetts since 1970. Live in Atlanta Ga since 1974 the only other person I trust is Me to get it right.
z51vett
Old 12-05-2011, 05:09 PM
RJ98Vette
Racer

I just had my 2011 GS Coupe in for its first oil change on Saturday (5275 miles with 36% left but wanted to error on the safer side).

They said it had a recall notice (which I was aware of) for the hinges. I asked how long would it take and they said an additional hour. I hesitated and the service writer checked for parts and found out they had to be ordered. I will check back later this week, but the good news was - at least for this dealer (Martin Chevrolet in Torrance, CA) the first oil change was free!.

Robert
Old 12-05-2011, 05:29 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 546 Likes on 378 Posts

i has my first oil change at 1000 miles on my 2012 gs coupe.call me old fashioned,but i believe the first 1000 miles is when the motor breaks in the oil and filter should be changed to remove the fine metal from the motor breaking in.it was only $63.cheap insurance for a $70k car.i will run the oil longer because the syn oil is better and lasts longer.they did the hatch recall also,that is why i brought it in.took about 1 hour.they did a nice job.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:38 PM
Sickem Dawgs
Racer

My notice came via on star diagnostic /chevy app on my phone, notified the dealer through the app, they called back stating to bring it in Friday. Hope it works that smooth all the time!
Old 12-05-2011, 07:03 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,195 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by HolyRoller
Found the service bill and it was 10,246, when the oil meter was down to 10% or so.

I haven't turned wrenches in years, but I'm an aviation mechanic, airframe and powerplant ratings, which took me 50% more class time than my law degree. If I learned anything, it was to maintain equipment exactly according to the manual from the factory that made it. They know what they're doing far more than anybody else. Here, Chevy says no need to change the oil any more often than the meter indicates. They're confident enough to warranty the powertrain for 100,000 miles if you do what they say.

Now let's proceed with the 142,698,905,531st emotional argument over oil change intervals.

I follow the DIC, always have on my 99 C5 ( 117K on it) and on my 07Z06 (currently 65K)....never ever seen that kinda mileage between changes...I honestly don't know how folks do it and I go down to 5% sometimes
Old 12-05-2011, 08:03 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,458 Likes on 2,274 Posts

parts are in. just haven't been in a hurry to take the car in to have the hinges swapped.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:07 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 685 Likes on 508 Posts

RJ98Vette,
Thanks for taking the time to post. We always love yo hear about positive dealership experiences. Let us know how it all works out.

Chevrolet Customer Service,
Justin

Originally Posted by RJ98Vette
I just had my 2011 GS Coupe in for its first oil change on Saturday (5275 miles with 36% left but wanted to error on the safer side).

They said it had a recall notice (which I was aware of) for the hinges. I asked how long would it take and they said an additional hour. I hesitated and the service writer checked for parts and found out they had to be ordered. I will check back later this week, but the good news was - at least for this dealer (Martin Chevrolet in Torrance, CA) the first oil change was free!.

Robert
Old 12-06-2011, 11:59 AM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 345 Likes on 222 Posts

I had mine replaced back on October 17 at Hendrick Auto Mall in Durham, NC. It took one day to get the new hinges to the dealer, and the whole job took about an hour. Some of that time was taping off the area around the hinges to avoid scratching the car.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:20 PM
AviBen
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 16 Posts

My dealer didn't have the parts for the 2011 GS hatch hinge recall fix at first. They had them on order, arrived in a few days, got it done in October -- along with replacing a belt that was making troublesome noises and replacing the left turn signal assembly for intermittent failure to return after turning.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:14 PM
Boozman
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

I had mine done about a month ago at Days Chev in the body shop it took about 30 to 40 minutes, great customer service I would suggest to anyone getting it done is to call and have them order the part as the are not in stock at the Dealer and do this with the body shop not service.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:38 PM
Zogs2011
Pro

I called the dealer where I bought mine to see if it was included in this recall, the service advisor said there were no active recalls on my vehicle. I said are you sure it was built in the range of dates that were included. The service advisor said and I kid you not, " it depends on what factory your vehicle was made" my reply was Thank you Good By

Get notified of new replies

To Hatch hinge recall: Who's still waiting on parts?

Old 12-06-2011, 05:01 PM
RJ98Vette
Racer

Originally Posted by Zogs2011
I called the dealer where I bought mine to see if it was included in this recall, the service advisor said there were no active recalls on my vehicle. I said are you sure it was built in the range of dates that were included. The service advisor said and I kid you not, " it depends on what factory your vehicle was made" my reply was Thank you Good By
Really? I guess when I got my factory tour earlier this year I missed the other fifteen or twenty factories that produce Corvettes.

Feel confident about coming back for service?

Robert
Old 12-07-2011, 08:30 AM
Zogs2011
Pro

Originally Posted by RJ98Vette
Really? I guess when I got my factory tour earlier this year I missed the other fifteen or twenty factories that produce Corvettes.

Feel confident about coming back for service?

Robert
Ya i couldn't believe that, all I could think was why do they not know the product.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:03 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 685 Likes on 508 Posts

Zogs2011,
I'd recommend trying another dealership. If you send me your zip code I should be be able to find you an excellent GM mechanic somewhere near you.

Chevrolet Customer Service,
Justin

Quick Reply: Hatch hinge recall: Who's still waiting on parts?