C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering on stock bolts - what the hell am I doing wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 01:15 PM
corvette-kyle
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Lowering on stock bolts - what the hell am I doing wrong?

Edit: For anyone still viewing this I wanted to post what actually happened. I tried everything possible and they just wouldn't budge. Eventually I took my car into a shop and had them do it along with some other work. The bolts were so frozen in place they actually had to replace the entire piece (no idea what it's called it was years ago). He showed me the old one and the new one etc, and it was literally just impossible to take out without destroying the entire piece. So if you're having troubles as bad as I was the same thing may have happened to you.

First of all I apologize for the nasty pictures. It's been raining so everything is filthy. This is my second attempt to lower the front of the car.. I can fit three fingers between the tire and the fender and that has to go. I jack up the car and place a jackstand on the middle spring or whatever it is, and then lower the car slowly and watch the spring raise up from the rest of the car, which takes the load off the bushing.. right? I can fit the wrench under the bushing so it's not touching anything... but then the bolt does not turn at all. I have sprayed both sides with WD40 and tried a plethora of different wrenches and tools to try and make them budge. Even resorting to hitting the wrench with a hammer while it was on to try and crack them loose did not work. I want to do this before I get an alignment in a few weeks so the sooner I get it done the better.

I don't know what else to try.. HELP!

Last edited by corvette-kyle; 01-07-2014 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:52 PM
Wooo
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I appreciate the photos and look forward to hearing answers myself
Old 12-04-2011, 02:10 PM
ZBADESTZ@Straightline
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try putting the jack handle on the wrench for leverage.

I did a Z that had this same problem and I worked it back and forth with a pry bar.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:15 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I can't really view pics on my iPhone well, but... On one end of the ride hight adjuster you have the bushing and on the other end (the tip) you have a notch that fits a small wrench (maybe 11mm if I remember correctly?) Once the a-arms are lifted enough to take the weight off the RHA's you just turn the notched part of the adjuster in the direction that lowers the car. THE RHA sould turn quite easy.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:24 PM
jpgolf14
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DSOMC6
I can't really view pics on my iPhone well, but... On one end of the ride hight adjuster you have the bushing and on the other end (the tip) you have a notch that fits a small wrench (maybe 11mm if I remember correctly?) Once the a-arms are lifted enough to take the weight off the RHA's you just turn the notched part of the adjuster in the direction that lowers the car. THE RHA sould turn quite easy.
i think the above is how i did mine. i think your picture shows the jack on the spring, not the a-arm
Old 12-04-2011, 02:26 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Btw, thought I'd mention...I lowered mine down to just a half inch abovet the tire. It looked sic! But every dip in the road, drive way, speed bump etc was a huge pia. After several broken rad supports (I'm real good at changing them out now) and almost getting rear-ended a handfull of times (because you have to slow for dips) I went back to stock hight.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:21 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Vega$Vette
So simple a geezer can do it one handed while holding an Iphone

Front

Rear

Key is to get the weight of the Vette off the A-Arm. Do it with out jacking the spring and you WILL strip the head of the bolt.
Little WD40 on the treads doesn't hurt?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-c6-video.html
Old 12-04-2011, 03:33 PM
Wooo
Pro

Great video. Thx for the link
Old 12-04-2011, 10:20 PM
corvette-kyle
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It seems that I'm doing it right... but the bolts are completely stuck in place. What do I do now?
Old 12-04-2011, 10:39 PM
Thrash
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Illusion Of Progress
It seems that I'm doing it right... but the bolts are completely stuck in place. What do I do now?
Penetrating oil, lots of it and leave it on overnight (but don't make a mess), then use a long socket wrench or breaker-bar (or pipe section on the end), don't use a box wrench. If you watch the 2 videos above it is pretty simple. You also need to be sure you are turning in the right direction. Good luck ...
Old 12-05-2011, 01:32 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Thrash
Penetrating oil, lots of it and leave it on overnight (but don't make a mess), then use a long socket wrench or breaker-bar (or pipe section on the end), don't use a box wrench. If you watch the 2 videos above it is pretty simple. You also need to be sure you are turning in the right direction. Good luck ...

The dealer adjusted mine and reported both bolts on one end of the car (can't remember front or rear) were frozen, took him a while to get them loose.

Someone posted that his bolts had Loctite on them, but that seems unlikely. Either way, he had to carefully heat them up to get 'em loose. Another guy finally had to remove the transverse spring from the car and clamp the bolt in a vise, used the entire spring as the world's longest breaker bar.

I'm thinking that penetrating oil and patience would be the best way. If overnight doesn't work, wait a few days to see if that helps. Should be ok to drive while waiting.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:34 PM
syswayne
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

What year is your vette? I did all 4 wheels and cut some of the rubber off with a electric saw. You have to get the pressure off that cross over spring or you will never turn that bolt. After I jacked mine up, I can turn the bolf with my fingers.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:42 PM
weiland
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did my front without the tire leaving the ground, just turn the wheel all the way. Can you raise the height of the car? does the bolt turn the other way?

Last edited by weiland; 12-05-2011 at 04:44 PM. Reason: .
Old 12-05-2011, 05:06 PM
madmax4499
Burning Brakes

you just need more leverage, try a six point socket 3/8 drive breaker bar. work it back and fourth, counter clockwise to lower it.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:09 PM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It's your car, It said, you ain't moving those adjusters until you take those ghey *** calipers covers off me...............
Old 12-05-2011, 05:13 PM
kev1n
Drifting

I think you'll need a breaker bar and a bit of muscle to get it going. Also try a pipe over the wrench handle to get some more torque
Old 12-05-2011, 05:18 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,916 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Are you sure you have all the load off of them? Mine would not move till I took all the load off, then I could turn them by hand.

Get notified of new replies

To Lowering on stock bolts - what the hell am I doing wrong?

Old 12-05-2011, 07:44 PM
CH-Z51
Drifting

Location: The Great Pacific Northwest...........I carry a gun cause a cops too heavy.

Originally Posted by wayback
Are you sure you have all the load off of them? Mine would not move till I took all the load off, then I could turn them by hand.
I used a long pry bar to take the load off the spring.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:06 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,090 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

You know what I think ...

Looking at these cars from the side, the rear is really way too high, but the front aint that bad at all.

I just lowered the rear about an inch by adjusting the rear bolts as far as they would go. Really only lowered it about an inch max.

Now I am ready to cut a little off the rear rubber pads (or bushings, or whatever there called). The *** end of my GS is still too high as far as I'm concerned.

The front is staying at the stock OEM ride height. Even at stock height, the front rubber "air dam" under the car still scrapes everything it comes within 10 feet of!

Just my opinion folks ..
Old 12-05-2011, 08:30 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 661 Likes on 443 Posts

Your pics show that you are doing it correctly - keep applying the penetrating oil and letting it soak in ove rnight - even a few days as it can actually take that long...

There is no loctite used in the install of the bolts - it's just age and wear and tear that seizes them up...

Quick Reply: Lowering on stock bolts - what the hell am I doing wrong?