C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 GS at the dealer for the oil pan gasket

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 05:13 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
GM has a resolute refusal to fix known, ongoing problems.

Our 2006 had the loose axle nuts, so did the 2009.
Our 2006 had a defective transparent top, so did the 2009.

Many of the problems that people report here today, were first reported on the 2005's. And we're not talking "one in a million" stuff. A few items get production fixes, but many of them do not.

GM is still wondering why our grocery-getters are Japanese.
Or Korean ..............
Old 12-05-2011, 05:24 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by C6~Missle
Mine was similar... not the oil pan gasket... but the front seal was leaking.. GM still can't figure out how to keep oil in their engines..
Give every new owner a free case of Motor Honey ............
Old 12-13-2011, 10:16 PM
Mach2
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, this is a follow-up to my post on page 1 of this thread. When I got the car up on a lift to install the Z51 front/rear sway bars with polyurethane bushings and Z06 front/rear shocks, I went straight to the oil pan. The left side of the pan was clean, . I looked on the right side of the pan and there's a drip of new Mobil 1 oil on the right rear corner of the oil pan. We identified the source of the leak was the plug in the passenger side of the oil pan that signals low oil level. I left the oil stain alone. When we finished the sways/bushings/shocks work and lowered it I went home and called the dealership service writer about the leak. Took it in today and...........talk about rather being lucky than good, the mechanic came out to discuss his findings with the service writer as I came up to the service writer to tell him I was headed home, Wifey was here. The mechanic says "This is gonna be a long repair. Looks like the rear main seal is leaking, gotta schedule the heavy lift to remove the front suspension and tranny to change it." I said WHOA............Wait minute. Did you read what the service writer wrote on the work order? I think it's coming from the oil level sendor on the RH side of the oil pan. He says "No, I didn't notice that." He goes back to his service bay and lifts the Vette up again. I show him that the drop on the RR corner of the oil pan that he thinks is a rear main seal is coming from the sensor plug on the right side of the pan. He flashlights it and touches the flange under the plug with his finger and says, hey that's where it's leaking from. An hour later after getting a half turn on the sensor plug, and cleaning the area, he test drives it and NO LEAKY. What a run around, and boy am I glad I was there when the mechanic talked to the service writer.

After all the warranty work done by numerous Chevy dealerships for LS3 engine oil pan leaks since 2008, you would think a upper level manager would assign a few engineers to analyze this issue and come up with a fix. How many hundreds of thousands of dollars has Chevy put out to the dealerships to repair the leaks. Fix it for crimeny sakes.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:31 PM
Pecanman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BobBass
Wouldn't you think after all the years of building engines, GM would have figured out how to seal an oil pan properly so it doesn't develop a leak? The valve covers on my '85 Vette leaked on the exhaust manifolds and I was told this was a very common problem.

How come Asian engines hardly ever develop leaks? I've had numerous Hondas, Subarus, Toyotas, Nissans, one M-B and NEVER had an oil leak from any of them.

INEXCUSABLE!
Have Mazda Miata. Oil pan leaks!
Old 12-13-2011, 11:53 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 568 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by Mach2
Well, this is a follow-up to my post on page 1 of this thread. When I got the car up on a lift to install the Z51 front/rear sway bars with polyurethane bushings and Z06 front/rear shocks, I went straight to the oil pan. The left side of the pan was clean, . I looked on the right side of the pan and there's a drip of new Mobil 1 oil on the right rear corner of the oil pan. We identified the source of the leak was the plug in the passenger side of the oil pan that signals low oil level. I left the oil stain alone. When we finished the sways/bushings/shocks work and lowered it I went home and called the dealership service writer about the leak. Took it in today and...........talk about rather being lucky than good, the mechanic came out to discuss his findings with the service writer as I came up to the service writer to tell him I was headed home, Wifey was here. The mechanic says "This is gonna be a long repair. Looks like the rear main seal is leaking, gotta schedule the heavy lift to remove the front suspension and tranny to change it." I said WHOA............Wait minute. Did you read what the service writer wrote on the work order? I think it's coming from the oil level sendor on the RH side of the oil pan. He says "No, I didn't notice that." He goes back to his service bay and lifts the Vette up again. I show him that the drop on the RR corner of the oil pan that he thinks is a rear main seal is coming from the sensor plug on the right side of the pan. He flashlights it and touches the flange under the plug with his finger and says, hey that's where it's leaking from. An hour later after getting a half turn on the sensor plug, and cleaning the area, he test drives it and NO LEAKY. What a run around, and boy am I glad I was there when the mechanic talked to the service writer.

After all the warranty work done by numerous Chevy dealerships for LS3 engine oil pan leaks since 2008, you would think a upper level manager would assign a few engineers to analyze this issue and come up with a fix. How many hundreds of thousands of dollars has Chevy put out to the dealerships to repair the leaks. Fix it for crimeny sakes.
Glad it worked out for you! I just brought my car home this afternoon for the same oil pan gasket. Put it up on the lift and low and behold the tech hand turned the drivers side motor mount nut and NEVER finished driving it the remaining 1/2 inch and tighten it...good thing I didn't "get into it" on my way home. I called him and he could not even tell me what the torque speck was for this nut (he just worked on my care a few hours earlier)...he had to call me back, needless to say the passenger side was not even tight enough. I questioned him about the alignment when I dropped the car off and he was not sure. When I spoke to him this morning he said it was not required or necessary. I just found out that the repair procedure clearly states the last step is to align the car. Now i'm pissed. He put new oil in the car but didnt change the filter because the order does not call for it - If I would have known that I would have gladly paid the $6 for a new filter. As with your case..... you have to always check and recheck the "professionals" work. Looks like an ugly phone call to the service manager tomorrow morning.......
Old 12-14-2011, 12:08 AM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
What is it with these leaking oil pan gaskets!

This isn't the first time someone has reported leaking pan gaskets even on new LS3 engines.

Well, at least my 2011 GS hasn't started leaking yet ... crossed fingers

Oh ya ... we also have the loose crank pulley (harmonic balancer) problem on these engines too.
Had my pan gasket replaced last month on an 08 vert. Noticed oil all over the pan. I change my own oil and had never noticed it before.

Dealer had it in and out i n one day.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:21 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Beginning to believe that if the leak isn't serious, just better to leave be rather than risk a worse outcome.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:34 AM
GSRANDY
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was your GS equipped with the Wixom hand built dry sump LS3?

Personally I haven't heard of a oil leaker coming out of the Wixom Performance Build Center, i.e. LS3, LS7 and/or LS9.

My 2010 GS with the Wixom hand built LS3 is totally leak free...........

Please offer your responses.

Regards,

GSRANDY
Old 12-14-2011, 08:17 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,093 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

My 2011 GS (A6) has the 'El-Cheapo' robot built engine ... and it don't leak

And the oil level is right at the full line on the dipstick at 5,000 miles when I changed it last.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:27 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,369 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

GM has a resolute refusal to make production fixes that solve ongoing problems- oil leaks, loose axle nuts, squeaky targa tops, cracking/crazing transparent tops, etc.

Look how long it took them to upgrade the seats and Blose stereo. And the seat meterials may not be any better, just look different.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:33 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GSRANDY
Was your GS equipped with the Wixom hand built dry sump LS3?

Personally I haven't heard of a oil leaker coming out of the Wixom Performance Build Center, i.e. LS3, LS7 and/or LS9.

My 2010 GS with the Wixom hand built LS3 is totally leak free...........

Please offer your responses.

Regards,

GSRANDY
Well, just took my Z06 in for an oil change and they found a leak on the oil pan. I haven't seen any drips on the floor but the pan had a light coating of oil and it explains the smell I get from the car after driving it.

The tech believes it is the gasket and it is under going replacement. I'll be able to pick up the car tomorrow. The tech mentioned he has had to do this several times on Corvettes. He didn't specify models/engines but he did mention it has happened to newer lower mileage cars.

For reference, its an 06 Z06 with 18000 miles.

Here is a thread on the Z06 section discussing the oil pan gasket leak.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-oil-leak.html

Quick Reply: 2010 GS at the dealer for the oil pan gasket