C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OnStar to the Rescue!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 09:10 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,195 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Old 12-03-2011, 09:16 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

The only thing I can say negative about OnStar is that it cannot be there when you need it the most. Consider that if you get into a bad accident where your battery or cables connecting to it are damaged. Or in the case of the C6 the windshield is damaged and the electronic package on the right side of the window is damaged. No power means OnStar cannot call home. I would rather GM would have designed the OnStar system in a protective box like the aircraft industry and their black boxes. The way it is configured now is giving all owners a false sense of protection.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:43 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
The only thing I can say negative about OnStar is that it cannot be there when you need it the most. Consider that if you get into a bad accident where your battery or cables connecting to it are damaged. Or in the case of the C6 the windshield is damaged and the electronic package on the right side of the window is damaged. No power means OnStar cannot call home. I would rather GM would have designed the OnStar system in a protective box like the aircraft industry and their black boxes. The way it is configured now is giving all owners a false sense of protection.
....and what if the sun blew up and massive pieces of it fell on the earth and blew up Onstar headquarters, come on. .................
Old 12-03-2011, 09:44 AM
Garret
Race Director

Received 1,009 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
Does the magnet with spare key have the hands free cell phone too?
I would be interested in it since we now have a distracted driving law and the vehicle in which I use the Onstar does not have Bluetooth, so I can converse freely with other people with out fear of a ticket. Also, does the spare key with magnet that might also have cell phone capability in it have towels in to put down BEFORE you have to reach waay under to get it out when the ground is wet or dirty? If so, I am in for sure.
A. Get in and drive your car and get off the damn phone ! I think it should be illegal to talk on the phone at all so don't get me started
B. Don't be such a wuss about getting dirty.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:58 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Garret
A. Get in and drive your car and get off the damn phone ! I think it should be illegal to talk on the phone at all so don't get me started
B. Don't be such a wuss about getting dirty.
If you think you should not talk on a hands free device then you are also against listening to the radio, drinking coffee, talking to a passenger etc. etc.

Not sure my wife would agree with you, when she has on a nice skirt or dress and is flat on her back trying to reach the magnet, sorry,1-800 Onstar, works much better.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:59 AM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

....and what if the sun blew up and massive pieces of it fell on the earth and blew up Onstar headquarters, come on. .................
Old 12-03-2011, 10:02 AM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrash
Spare key in wallet ... priceless.
and i leave my wallet hidden in the glove box.. hate it in my back pocket.. LOL
Old 12-03-2011, 10:04 AM
v1 rot8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

Default key

I just keep the FOB in my pocket which has the key in it. I can always go thru the back even if the battery is dead
Old 12-03-2011, 10:12 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by v1 rot8
I just keep the FOB in my pocket which has the key in it. I can always go thru the back even if the battery is dead
Well, he did have it in his pocket, but his pocket was in the car.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:18 AM
choprfgr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bluestar replaces Onstar and provides hands-off bluetooth.

Anybody have it?
Old 12-03-2011, 10:20 AM
FullyVetted
Pro

Originally Posted by dvilin
I just keep the FOB in my pants pocket, seems to be an easy way to avoid all the drama.
Same here - and no autolock.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:24 AM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

That's why I always carry two sets of keys- one in each front pocket. Wait until you leave both sets of keys in a car (not necessarily a Vette) with the engine running and lock yourself out with no Onstar. Then you'll really feel stupid........
Old 12-03-2011, 10:27 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by J Willis
That's why I always carry two sets of keys- one in each front pocket. Wait until you leave both sets of keys in a car (not necessarily a Vette) with the engine running and lock yourself out with no Onstar. Then you'll really feel stupid........
You did that?
Old 12-03-2011, 11:41 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Just turn off autolock, problem solved. Personally I don't keep anything in my jacket pockets.

Before OnStar came out they actually had cars that you couldn't lock your keys in the car, what a concept.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:39 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
Just turn off autolock, problem solved. Personally I don't keep anything in my jacket pockets.

Before OnStar came out they actually had cars that you couldn't lock your keys in the car, what a concept.
Then you have to reach into your pocket and hit door lock on the remote everytime.
I like autolock, I like it a lot.
Now, if I made a habit of locking my remote/keys in the car, then I might have to look at that option, or a prescription for memory pills.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:48 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,460 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Originally Posted by J Willis

BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I'm sorry, I really shouldn't do tha. . BUWHAHAHAHAHAHHA.

Just wasn't your day that day.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:12 PM
Garret
Race Director

Received 1,009 Likes on 471 Posts

If you think you should not talk on a hands free device then you are also against listening to the radio, drinking coffee, talking to a passenger etc. etc
Now your getting the picture and speaking my language ! Get in and drive it, you don't need coffee and you don't need to be on the phone, texting, putting on makeup... And yes, the radio and talking are even too much for some drivers.

Get notified of new replies

To OnStar to the Rescue!!

Old 12-03-2011, 01:23 PM
doggman
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

Don't have OnStar on the Vette, but do on the wife's Camaro. If you have an iPhone, you can download an app (free) and unlock the doors, etc. Works really well.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:28 PM
RAVEN007
Instructor

Originally Posted by doggman
Don't have OnStar on the Vette, but do on the wife's Camaro. If you have an iPhone, you can download an app (free) and unlock the doors, etc. Works really well.
OnStar app does not work with Vette.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:35 PM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I have not had a need to use Onstar in any of my Vette's yet, but I used it a couple of times with a Silverado I used to own. I had a bad habit of hitting the door lock button located next to the inside door handle on the truck. Every time I exited the truck I automatically hit the button to lock the doors as I was getting out.

That was fine when I was taking the key out of the ignition and taking them with me, but if I was leaving the keys in the ignition and just planning to jump out for a minute leaving the keys inside I was screwed. It was especially bad when I also left the truck engine running as well.

That was a few years ago and it used to take Onstar up to 10 or 15 minutes to unlock your vehicle. Glad to hear they are now able to do it much quicker if I ever need to use it again.

If you can afford it, Onstar is worth having if for nothing else the peace of mind knowing it's another tool to use should you ever need help in an emergency.

Quick Reply: OnStar to the Rescue!!