C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NPP Exhaust Bypass Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 06:56 AM
Corvette00Car
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default NPP Exhaust Bypass Question

My C6 is a daily driver with NPP Exhaust. The problem is that I leave the house at 5:00AM and upon startup I wake up the neighbor kids. I'd really rather not do that. I noticed that after I shut down if I went into ignition mode the flaps would close and upon restart it was a quiet restart. But aren't they vaccum powered so that wouldn't work overnight. 1) I am not replacing the exaust because I absolutely love it. 2) I'm not moving 3) I'm not driving another car and 4) I'm not doing that either. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 11-29-2011, 07:50 AM
marc8090
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you get the Mild to Wild controller you can install it so the exhaust will start in the closed position if you like.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:53 AM
Corvette00Car
Racer

Default Confused

I don't see how the M-W switch on the fuse does that. You need vaccum to pull the damper closed and without vaccum it remains open. PS: I have one.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:14 AM
cgiff
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Default You can close the flaps

When I installed my M/W in the instuctions there is a wire that you can connect to open the valves on starting.Don't have instructions anymore. Go to Nakedparts site. There you can print them out. All you should have to do is disconnect the wire.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:57 AM
Corvette00Car
Racer

Default Don't Understand

I went to the Nakedparts site and read the detailed instructions. I want to start the car with the butterfly CLOSED not open. The MW device removes the signal to the vacume switch (opening the fuse) which causes the butterfly to open. The butterfly get's it power by VACUME and when starting a cold engine there is no vacume so the butterfly is open NOT closed. So, if it can't be done so be it but I thought I'd ask.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:07 AM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

If it's a big concern find the older NPP in a box that has it's own vaccum pump ( I have one) set to start closed. Car will start quiet then use fob or other method to open when you are ready.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:47 AM
Corvette00Car
Racer

A vaccum pump is the answer. Thank you my friend. I'll have to look into that.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:49 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Richard, don't know that you want to buy something else, or that this place even has something that will work, but it may be worth a call. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/memb...creations.html a forum vendor.

I fully understand what you're talking about since I live in a community where the houses are close together and the barking of my exhaust on startup could be annoying. That's one reason I back my car into the garage. It starts, makes noise, settles down, and then I idle out of the garage and neighborhood (unlike my jerk neighbor 800 feet away with the open exhaust C6---must have no mufflers at all).
Old 11-29-2011, 11:14 AM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Corvette00Car
A vaccum pump is the answer. Thank you my friend. I'll have to look into that.
Check on eBay. I see the vaccum pump version on occassion. I bought mine there after just purchasing the M2W set-up.

If I need to be quiet I push accessory and wait a second or two for the pump to close the valves then crank. Once clear I open...
Old 11-29-2011, 12:36 PM
child_of_fire
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i have the exhaust commander by sunset orange creations. it stays open or closed after shutdown, whichever setting you leave it on, and remains that way even after start up until you change it.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:42 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 311 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by child_of_fire
i have the exhaust commander by sunset orange creations. it stays open or closed after shutdown, whichever setting you leave it on, and remains that way even after start up until you change it.
I have this myself, of course mine is set to start open/
Old 11-29-2011, 01:48 PM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by marc8090
If you get the Mild to Wild controller you can install it so the exhaust will start in the closed position if you like.
I have the Sunset Orange Creations unit and it will start up and go to closed or stay open depending on it's position when shutting down. If you shut down when the valves are closed, they will go to the closed position which requires vacuum (which you don't have when not running) on start-up from the open position.

No way do the valves stay closed without vacuum when shutting down (with any system) but they do close rather quickly when you start-up and should not be an issue with the neighbors.

Last edited by j_digi454; 11-29-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:05 PM
Richie Fazio
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette00Car
My C6 is a daily driver with NPP Exhaust. The problem is that I leave the house at 5:00AM and upon startup I wake up the neighbor kids. I'd really rather not do that. I noticed that after I shut down if I went into ignition mode the flaps would close and upon restart it was a quiet restart. But aren't they vaccum powered so that wouldn't work overnight. 1) I am not replacing the exaust because I absolutely love it. 2) I'm not moving 3) I'm not driving another car and 4) I'm not doing that either. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Honestly, I have a hard time believing you wake up the neighbors kids. NPP start up is literally loud for 1-1.5 sec and then the flaps close and it's a quiet idle. I would hate to see your neighbors if you had a Corsa or Borla exhaust. Then I can understand them waking up.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:31 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,374 Likes on 793 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Originally Posted by Richie Fazio
Honestly, I have a hard time believing you wake up the neighbors kids. NPP start up is literally loud for 1-1.5 sec and then the flaps close and it's a quiet idle. I would hate to see your neighbors if you had a Corsa or Borla exhaust. Then I can understand them waking up.
I agree but if it's that much of a problem make some type of plugs for the open side and remove them after the vacuum closes the valves. Maybe tennis ***** with a rope through them for easy removal??
Old 11-29-2011, 06:13 PM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BearZ06
I agree but if it's that much of a problem make some type of plugs for the open side and remove them after the vacuum closes the valves. Maybe tennis ***** with a rope through them for easy removal??
Tell me your not serious about this.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:31 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,374 Likes on 793 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Perfectly serious. They'll be in there for maybe 15 seconds. Seems like a simple easy solution, of course if you want to go redesigning the whole system for a few seconds use in the mornings go right ahead.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:16 PM
MKenM
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 277 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'21

When you bought yours did you buy the option to remember the setting or did it come with the unit? His web site says the option is $35.00 extra.

Get notified of new replies

To NPP Exhaust Bypass Question

Old 11-30-2011, 10:53 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

If you have a garage, just don't open the door for the first 5 seconds after you start the car.

Thinking outside the box, you could get a job that starts later, when the kids are already awake.

OK, one more silly idea. stuff a potato on the loud side. Drive out to the main street and hit it hard to blow out the tater. HAHA!

Last edited by HOXXOH; 11-30-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:02 PM
AtHomeSoda
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
If you have a garage, just don't open the door for the first 5 seconds after you start the car.

Thinking outside the box, you could get a job that starts later, when the kids are already awake.

OK, one more silly idea. stuff a potato on the loud side. Drive out to the main street and hit it hard to blow out the tater. HAHA!
LOL... ok so... grow a pair... REALLY... I have NPP open... NOBODY cares but you....
Old 11-30-2011, 11:05 PM
LucaBrasiAZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH

Quick Reply: NPP Exhaust Bypass Question