C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Consumers Reports Best and Worst

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 08:09 AM
enzo550m
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't believe anyone could ever consider Consumer Reports as an automotive authority! CR sould stick to toasters and hair dryers.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:35 AM
designerRob
Safety Car

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
Consumers Reports Best and Worst New Cars 2012 magazine is a joke.

What a crappy magazine.
sums it up right there
Old 11-27-2011, 09:20 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyLee
Another way in which the sample is distorted is that it takes a certain "type" of person who would take the time to fill out a survey and mail it in (for example, someone angry about their cars poor reliability)

Considering all of the variables, I wouldn't even rely on THIS FORUM as my sample!
I have always argued that point when it comes to any poll or report. It's all in who you ask and how you ask the questions.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:06 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc V.
Who the F reads Consumer Reports?
Old 11-27-2011, 12:39 PM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I gave up on CR many years ago. One time they said the Corvette seemed to Rust Out much sooner than other vehicles. Other times I went looking for something I wanted to buy and CR never seemed to test the big named brand and model I was interested in.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:05 PM
thatonedude1
Racer

I have issue with their used car recommendations as well. They seem to not take into account value and money.
Back in early 07, I was looking for a lightly used family 4 door. CR as usual was touting the Carmry and Accords as good used cars (which I agree they are, even though my wifes 98 Camry was a real POS well before it threw a rod at 105k miles). Problem was that in early 07, I could not find a decent V6 2006 Camry or Accord for under $21, 22 grand. I found a 2006 3.9 Impala LT with 11k miles. GM certified, perfect condition, nice machined alum wheels, dual exhaust, spoiler. They has 3 just like it at $14995 no hagle price. I wrote a check for the whole thing right there, and almost 5 yrs and 85k miles later, it's the best car I've ever owned. Good power, strong tranny, smooth ride, massive trunk, very reliable. It's exactly what I would have expected from a V6 accord, but for much less money.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:31 PM
livette
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I think CR does serve a purpose and that the repair index is usually accurate based n my experiance. In fact the 2008 Vette was listed as a recommended use car purchase in the over $30K category. Me and my JSB 2008 coupe think they got that right..
Old 11-27-2011, 11:48 PM
Z06seal
Pro

With these things, once they get enough hype, big companies start paying to dog out the competition and the public listen...

at least thats what I think

if my aunt or my uncle bought CR because of it's reputation and went with the competition, they have already proved themselves with the person who bought them out...
Old 11-28-2011, 12:04 AM
Nash09
Advanced

I don't know if CR sends different surveys to different subscribers but I haven't had too many requests. I fill out 1 per year and yes, I did fill out for electronic problems for the 2009 year. I agree you don't go to them to make your car decision but it gives you an idea of problems.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:23 AM
hotspur
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nash09
I don't know if CR sends different surveys to different subscribers but I haven't had too many requests. I fill out 1 per year and yes, I did fill out for electronic problems for the 2009 year. I agree you don't go to them to make your car decision but it gives you an idea of problems.
And anyone who doesn't believe this is behaving like an ostrich. Just because YOUR car hasn't had a problem identified by the CR survey doesn't mean it isn't a problem that has occurred more often than the average.

It ought to be clear to anyone reading this forum that the C6 has had a history of electrical system problems. Mine hasn't--yet, although having to keep the car tethered to a battery tender to keep the battery from dying in ten days is simply ridiculous--but that doesn't mean it isn't a problem that too many have experienced.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:35 AM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by hotspur
And anyone who doesn't believe this is behaving like an ostrich. Just because YOUR car hasn't had a problem identified by the CR survey doesn't mean it isn't a problem that has occurred more often than the average.

It ought to be clear to anyone reading this forum that the C6 has had a history of electrical system problems. Mine hasn't--yet, although having to keep the car tethered to a battery tender to keep the battery from dying in ten days is simply ridiculous--but that doesn't mean it isn't a problem that too many have experienced.
And just so I understand completely, this was a problem confined only to manual tranny's, right? I've never had a problem with my '05 A4 (and don't use a Tender), should I be expecting one?
Old 11-28-2011, 06:52 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

To me CR's value is relative. If I am buying something I have little exposure to, or personal interest in (like a vacuum cleaner), it is a good place to learn about common problems, lack of features, etc. On vehicle ratings CR has absolutely trashed a couple of vehicles that I have had a wonderful ownership experience with.

Grain of salt anyone??

Quick Reply: Consumers Reports Best and Worst