C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about buying a new Corvette? BEWARE!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 04:12 PM
Russell ZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

love it you should try it get a new vette under the lemon law.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:34 PM
GMJim
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 152 Posts

A few people have suggested that you change or look at the cabin filter. I would pay special attention to the cabin filter door gasket. This door is all there is between the engine compartment and the cabin air flow. ALL engines sweat a little oil and the heat of the engine will always cause under the hood to smell a little. A bad cabin filter door seal will allow the air under the hood to be sucked into the cabin especially when you stop.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:37 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

All this burning oil smell talk has me scared to do my first oil change.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:53 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Go drive another new corvette grand sport and if it smells the same....your insane...if it doesn't smell the same then they need to figure out whats going on.

Seems like a fair way to go..

Anybody else smelling what you smell? Ie...GM area rep? Whats his sniffer saying?

Good luck.

What color and options are on the car.. ?? If its a manual Red 1 lt.coupe..maybe we can trade...

I have no sense of smell so it won't bother me. Mines a 2008 black Z51 1lt with NPP and a DSV Dshaped steering wheel...along with the glass top..

Good luck..
Old 11-22-2011, 05:25 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

I just had my oil changed yesterday and I also have the dry oil sump system. I drove 90 miles back to my home and never smelled any burning oil or such. I have heard a few horror stories about oil changes that were overfilled with this system.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:29 PM
chiefzusaf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
I'm betting they spilled oil on the exhaust manifolds. It may take 1000 miles or more for it all to burn off.
this
Old 11-22-2011, 05:32 PM
tomnan24
Advanced

Originally Posted by AORoads
call it what you like, but I think it's more normal than abnormal. I've had many oil changes on my car. just one drop and it'll take a very long time to burn off. I'd say I've had the oil smell at least 1/2 the time after an oil change.
You must be one unlucky son-of-a-gun. I've NEVER had that happen.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:12 PM
Garret
Race Director

Received 1,009 Likes on 471 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Me too...I sure hope this does not happen to my GS. Glad I have 66 % left so it will be a while before I change mine.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:17 PM
59chevyguy
Instructor

I'm betting they spilled oil on the exhaust manifolds. It may take 1000 miles or more for it all to burn off.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:23 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Well,considering the 1st oil change isn't necessary until the DIC tells you you're due or 1 year,whichever comes first I'd ask you how long you've had your car and go from there.The DIC oil life monitor is there for a reason,it serves a purpose and it WORKS!FOLLOW IT!As for the OP,if the smell comes on with the vents,check all filter,filter areas and like that.Obviously,GM is no help..they're doing much like they did when all the Z51 BRAKES STARTED SQUEALING IN 2005 and all of a sudden that became "normal".
Good luck.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:27 PM
C7cmnthru
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

I don't have a GS but did have some engine odors coming into the vent system. As was noted in an earlier post, check the cabin air filter access panel. Mine was not firmly in place and not making a good seal. Thing is it was not noticeable by just looking at it. Installed it correctly and odors stopped. Hope its that simple. I think its worth a check. Best of Luck.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:53 PM
John T.
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by weathermaker
Maybe it's me, but where does the OP say manual transmission, dry sump engine, or even a coupe. It would be helpful if the OP would confirm what engine he has, since there are more areas that could leak on a dry sump engine.
My car is a 2011 Grand Sport, 436 HP, automatic.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:53 PM
LawyerJoe
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try taking the car out at nite. run it till you get the smell. find a dark unlit location and shine a very brite but thin light all around the engine. If there is smoke, it will show up in the light. You might not see it in broad daylight. Even better if you can run the car w/o any lights on and/or on a lift so you can look under.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:00 PM
John T.
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Go drive another new corvette grand sport and if it smells the same....your insane...if it doesn't smell the same then they need to figure out whats going on.

Seems like a fair way to go..

Anybody else smelling what you smell? Ie...GM area rep? Whats his sniffer saying?

Good luck.

What color and options are on the car.. ?? If its a manual Red 1 lt.coupe..maybe we can trade...

I have no sense of smell so it won't bother me. Mines a 2008 black Z51 1lt with NPP and a DSV Dshaped steering wheel...along with the glass top..

Good luck..
Of course my wife and I can smell it. The service writer and service manager smelled it, to the extent that the writer said she didn't feel comfortable returning the car to me until they checked further. The area manager and shop foreman smelled something that prompted them to go back to the shop, hoist the car and take a look, then add dye to the oil to help with another look. Although they don't seem to overtly use the words "burning oil," I think their actions speak pretty loudly.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:07 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

two weeks ago the dealership replaced my oil pan gasket... but for some reason i still smelled oil... went back to the dealership they put it on the rack and lifted it..the oil pressure sending unit seal/o ring is leaking it barely wet. but its enough that i could smell it.. i hope this helps those that smell oil. ill post pics later
I just saw this in another thread somebody just started.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:16 PM
Bluewasp
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

Old 11-22-2011, 08:32 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,220 Likes on 831 Posts

Please make sure there isn't any residual oil on your mats or in your carpet......Once years ago I spilled one ounce of fuel injector cleaner in the trunk carpet of a car and I smelled for a year inside the car...no matter how many times I washed it. Also even without the "air' filter you wouldn't smell burning oil from the engine compartment....the air inlets has always been in that general location and the "filter" is a relatively new deal...forget that filter.

There has to be oil somewhere...find it.

good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking about buying a new Corvette? BEWARE!

Old 11-22-2011, 08:53 PM
VetteMark
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Originally Posted by Garret
Me too...I sure hope this does not happen to my GS. Glad I have 66 % left so it will be a while before I change mine.
Had mine change the dealer and afterwards I had the smell. Did some checking and found that they did in fact spill oil. There was some sitting on edges and in some wells. It took some time to go away but it did. The smell wasn't too strong but I still could smell it and it DID bug the crap out of me but what are you going to do.

Next time, I will mention it to the tech and stress that it better not happen again! Or change it myself . . . which is more likely to happen!!
Old 11-22-2011, 08:59 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,960 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by John T.
Thanks to all of you for your responses. The dealer has removed covers, inspected and reinspected for leaks. They've changed the oil & filter again, introduced dye into the system, power washed at least twice, etc. There's no oil dripping anywhere. The smell seems to come into the car via the vent system. The area manager's been out. It seems that since they can't find the problem, the odor must be characteristic of the car, or so they say. They're telling me the smell might be coming from a burning sticker (i.e., on the catalytic converter), or from whatever constitutes the finish on hot metal parts. In my experience, those things can cause odor, but not of burning oil. That oil smell is like a skunk in the yard. Although you can't see it, you know it's there!
Actually if you don't drive it a lot it could be something spilled on the cat. Just had a new engine installed in my 08Z. They replaced the left side cat as part of the installation. After I got the car back I took it on a 1300 mile trip with a lot of highway driving which got the exhaust good and hot for hours at a time. When I got back I had to take it back because the right side cat took a dump as well. Since the right side cat was replaced I have only been driving the car around town and can smell that new cat burning every time I slow the car down. Smells very hot and metallic with a strong tinge of burning oil. It has been burning like that for close to 3 weeks now.

Bill
Old 11-22-2011, 09:12 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Check the lemon laws for your state. In Utah more than 30 days in the shop within the first year is considered a lemon. It doesn't matter what they did with it in that time frame. My Envoy was in the shop for over a month. Part of that time was because they broke the window so they can get the key out of the car and then dented the door with the car seat. They also tried to fix it 4 times including one could not duplicate (which they didn't look at it too hard as I had it back in there the next day to show them the noise again).

GMC eventually bought back the vehicle after they screwed me around for 5 months. Once GMC found out about the dealer was flying me up to Wyoming to pick up my new vehicle and only charged me for wear/tear since the buyback process started 5000 miles ago.

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying a new Corvette? BEWARE!