C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery all charged up!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 12:57 AM
Don Nolan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery all charged up!!

Today, I was out working in the garage and decided to put the charger on the battery and charge it up since it is now in storage for the winter. So, I put my Schumacher trickle charger that I bought last year at Walmarts for $20.00 on the battery. Eight hours later- about 11:00 last night I went out- green light was on meaning it was fully charged. Took it off and Bingo-Bango. All charged up for another three weeks. No worries, no wires laying across the floor to trip over, no cables to accidentally jerk off of the battery, no chance of fires or blowing up the battery. No floaters, no tenders left charging for months. It will be all ready to go next spring!!------
Old 12-15-2012, 02:30 AM
hawkandersonjr
Burning Brakes

Location: US-ARMY 1974-1996 Retired ; Oklahoma, City ; Atlanta, Ga: Hephzibah, Ga
Received 101 Likes on 37 Posts

I just bought one of those chargers today. Still need to hook it up. Could you school me in on how you got it connected. I am leaving for a week will it be safe to leaved it connected for seven days. Thanks
Old 12-15-2012, 03:57 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

The easiest way to hook up a battery tender is to use the lighter socket. This also makes it nearly impossible to drive away without noticing you're still connected.

Most tenders come with the plug or offer it as an option.

No problem leaving them plugged in for indefinite periods of time. It's what they were designed for, after all.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:59 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Red to positive Black to negative then plug into wall outlet. Not rocket science IMO. LOL
Old 12-15-2012, 07:42 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by **** Jockey
The easiest way to hook up a battery tender is to use the lighter socket. This also makes it nearly impossible to drive away without noticing you're still connected.

No problem leaving them plugged in for indefinite periods of time. It's what they were designed for, after all.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:53 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Leave mine hooked up all Winter, no problems.(Battery Tender Plus).
Originally Posted by Don-Vette
Red to positive Black to negative then plug into wall outlet. Not rocket science IMO. LOL

Last edited by dvilin; 12-15-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:55 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I keep a C-Tek 3300 on my battery all the time when I'm not using the car. The car is ready to go at all times, even if I get some chances to sneak it out during the winter when the roads are clear and dry.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:06 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

You can get fancy but the lighter socket is easy, inexpensive, and hard to forget. There are notches in the door for the wire.

I once left one hooked up a new battery almost continuously for over 4 years and the battery was as good at the end as when new. That's the difference between a maintainer and a charger. A charger is meant to be hooked up to charge the battery but must be disconnected as soon as it finishes or it will damage the battery. A maintainer is designed to be hooked up and left forever. All batteries will self discharge over time and any discharge damages the battery. The maintainer limits the discharge and so makes the battery last MUCH longer than just charging the battery every few weeks.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:22 AM
Steve2150
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Is it okay to use the outlet in the console or is it better to plug into cigarette lighter.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:25 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve2150
Is it okay to use the outlet in the console or is it better to plug into cigarette lighter.
They are both the same. I use the console.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:26 AM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
They are both the same. I use the console.
I've been doing it this way for 6 years on my Vette and over 20 years on other vehicles that I own. I too like the fact that you won't mistakenly drive away without taking off the float charger when using the cigarette lighter adapter to plug into the console accessory port.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:36 PM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Great idea, Don!! I do the same thing. I am out in my garage all the time and I got tired of having to step over those darn wires or trip over them!! So, I just charge mine up and put it away. Then, I do the same thing 3-4 weeks later. That way nothing to be in the way and nothing left plugged in and running all the time that didn't need to be. ----
Old 12-15-2012, 06:13 PM
Rebel 1
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Don Nolan
Today, I was out working in the garage and decided to put the charger on the battery and charge it up since it is now in storage for the winter. So, I put my Schumacher trickle charger that I bought last year at Walmarts for $20.00 on the battery. Eight hours later- about 11:00 last night I went out- green light was on meaning it was fully charged. Took it off and Bingo-Bango. All charged up for another three weeks. No worries, no wires laying across the floor to trip over, no cables to accidentally jerk off of the battery, no chance of fires or blowing up the battery. No floaters, no tenders left charging for months. It will be all ready to go next spring!!------
Old 12-15-2012, 07:40 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,499 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

I leave it plugged in continuously through the cigarette lighter - fortunately the outlet is right next to the driver's window and there is nothing to trip over...
Old 12-15-2012, 07:41 PM
Zap City
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 123 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by capevettes
I keep a C-Tek 3300 on my battery all the time when I'm not using the car. The car is ready to go at all times, even if I get some chances to sneak it out during the winter when the roads are clear and dry.
I agree. The C-Tek is awesome.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:49 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I put my maintainer on top of the garage door opener. There is an extra outlet up there and then the cord comes straight down from the ceiling so no tripping over it.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:22 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I dangle the cord from the ceiling too. With the top down I just drive in under it then reach up and plug it in.

In the winter I leave the drivers window cracked open a little.

You also have the option of disconnecting the battery once it's fully charged, and there are products/switches that make that easy too. The battery will continue to discharge, but at a much slower rate.

Get notified of new replies

To Battery all charged up!!

Quick Reply: Battery all charged up!!