C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crunching feeling in brake pedal

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 02:21 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Crunching feeling in brake pedal

I was stepping on the brake yesterday at slow speeds and instead of the normal pedal feel (smooth, just increasing resistance), the pedal felt like I was pushing it through gravel - quick chattering through the pedal. Happened just a little bit through two pedal strokes and then it was gone. Felt the same thing once before (6 months ago?).

Anyone have any ideas what it could be? 2007 base coupe w/Z-51 package.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:26 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Quick chattering through the pedal sounds like an activated ABS System ?
Old 04-19-2012, 02:31 PM
steve m baker
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
Quick chattering through the pedal sounds like an activated ABS System ?
Thats what it sounds like to me also.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:31 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

sometimes if it's even slightly wet outside, the ABS will activate briefly when braking even if you are not inducing a "panic stop" ...
(this happens on my SUVs often enough).
Old 04-19-2012, 08:34 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Definitely didn't feel like ABS kicking in - not really a pulsing. Was more like some type of drag or grit in the pedal travel. Very, very subtle. And it was at below 5 mph.. Just pull into a parking spot.

Last edited by WAwatchnut; 04-19-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:57 AM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

If its not the abs and you felt it at slow speeds I'd guess you picked up some debris between the pads and the rotor or when was the last time you checked your brake pads? Have you worn them down to rivets or to the point of metal on metal?

I picked up a gravel size rock a few months back just driving down the road and it lodged between the brake caliper and the wheel. gouged the wheel a bit on the inside part of the wheel and made one heck of a noise. Once i came to a stop I guess the rock fell out as the noise had quit but the wheel damage was clear.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:48 AM
glad2hver
Instructor

My brake pedal sometimes feels like I am pushing it through a layer of thin ice. Brake the ice and smooth again. That is on initial start up only. The....it's usually followed by Service Active Handling message. Not sure the cause, but it's starting to truly **** me off
Old 12-15-2012, 12:03 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,046 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by glad2hver
The....it's usually followed by Service Active Handling message. Not sure the cause, but it's starting to truly **** me off
IF you're getting a SAH, get your car to a qualified wrench asap.
Can be downright dangerous if AH's on the fritz.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:17 PM
glad2hver
Instructor

Useless. GM service unable to fix. Check all the posts from others. Car is plagued with this issue
Old 12-15-2012, 12:22 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,046 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by glad2hver
Useless. GM service unable to fix. Check all the posts from others. Car is plagued with this issue
OK, now I remember your predicament. Sorry. In your shoes I'd be livid, too. Don't know if OP's is in the same situation as you. Really hope you get satisfaction, somehow.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:19 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by WAwatchnut
Definitely didn't feel like ABS kicking in - not really a pulsing. Was more like some type of drag or grit in the pedal travel. Very, very subtle. And it was at below 5 mph.. Just pull into a parking spot.
I don't know, Joe, but I'd tend to agree w. Bear's post. Not on the C6, but on other cars I've felt this very rarely. Usually, it wasn't junk betw. the rotor and pad but sometimes just seems like some kind of temporary dust which was "activated" by moisture. You living where you do, that would seemingly be a frequent occurrence. Maybe it's just some brake pad dust???

It's just that last, very slow bit before you stop and it is like a "grunching" sound. I know it goes away, or has for me. If it stays, then it's something to look into more starting with the simple things. I might even hose out the brakes or pull the pads out to see after looking at the rotors first for any unusual wear pattern or grooves.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:25 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by WAwatchnut
...the pedal felt like I was pushing it through gravel... Happened just a little bit through two pedal strokes and then it was gone...
Maybe a bit of rust built-up on the rotors. (Maybe you washed the car and then it sat for days or more?)

Then the rust was quickly removed by using the brakes a couple times.

Anyway, now it works normally, right? No DIC messages? No codes?

Same thing happened to me after each winter storage of my 09 Z51. No problem, no worries.

BTW, I mentioned "Z51" because that option includes larger cross-drilled rotors. I have no idea if that makes a difference... just sayin'.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:44 PM
Stockcar Axeman
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had that happen to me a couple of times in 1.5 yrs of ownership. Last night after leaving work it was wet/cold (34 degeres) and when I was getting on the brakes it happened again for the first time in months so I think it was the ABS getting confused. I hate the nannies. Wish the car came without them. I don't like turning them off when I want to have fun. The first time I had this happen was right after I bought the car and I was traveling at a high rate of speed when I got on the brakes while turning and the pedal had all sorts of pulsating feedback coming back up through the pedal. It pissed me off and I wondered what kind of BS crap they were putting into these cars. If you can't control the car then get something else. This could be very dangerous in the wrong situation. BTW OP, those cases I got from you have worked out great. Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Crunching feeling in brake pedal

Quick Reply: Crunching feeling in brake pedal