C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blade Silver - Weird patterns in direct sun

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 01:04 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robforster
I have owned both the machine and blade silver coupes and find that the Machine Silver was applied better, deeper in color and richness which are totally subjective. They should put the Blade to Bed.
09 and on is blade silver apparently, looks like shiitt on my 09 base in direct sunlight... you need side by comparo to tell blade from older machine silver... The machine silver vettes I saw looked not any better in direct sunlight either... hmmm

Last edited by petermj; 11-16-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:40 PM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Blade silver metallic looks too blotchy and uneven to be a nice silver. It's nowhere near the consistency of Machine Silver. When I saw it on C6s in the lots of the dealerships, I thought they were repainted or something.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:07 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 685 Likes on 508 Posts

CorvetteRL,
Paint is covered under your bumper to bumper warranty as long as it's a manufacturers defect.

Chevrolet Customer Service,
Justin

Originally Posted by CorvetteRL
Looks like GM should have to fix crap like this - the mottling that is... As a business owner, I'd never put a product out that I was not totally happy with - Mottling = Not Happy! Can anything be done under the paint warranty on the car?
Old 11-16-2011, 02:38 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
CorvetteRL,
Paint is covered under your bumper to bumper warranty as long as it's a manufacturers defect.

Justin
When I asked my local dealer about my paint, I was told this is normal. So which way is it? My car would have to be completely repainted to remove the stripes and blotchiness. Let us get real answers and directions how to go about it.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:49 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,070 Likes on 593 Posts

I remember back when I had a Pewter 99 coupe. I loved the paint, but, a friend of mine who owned a body shop explained that they "starve paint" the high metallics on so you get them to pop in the sun, but, if he did that to any car he'd be out of business in a week. I've not noticed that in Blade Silver, since there are so few of them around. However, I had a Machine Silver Cavalier and the paint was pretty good. That was my beater car.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:02 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

CorvetteRL,

Justin
I don't think anybody should entertain a repaint of their car unless the paint match is horribly off. There will be slight variations especially in the metallic colors since some pieces are painted at different times. Learn to be less critical since this is a Chevy after all.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:18 PM
Foxer55
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Yep, my Blade Silver 2010 GS is the same way. The variations can be seen as you look at it from different angles in direct sunlight. I've spoken to some people about it but kind of consider its part of the package. Doesn't really bother me as I figure this type of paint could never be done perfectly on a production car. My biggest concern is could the paint be matched after an accident and is there any of this paint in inventory anymore after the production of materials was lost in Japan following the earthquake/meltdown?
Old 11-16-2011, 10:30 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Foxer55
Yep, my Blade Silver 2010 GS is the same way. The variations can be seen as you look at it from different angles in direct sunlight. I've spoken to some people about it but kind of consider its part of the package. Doesn't really bother me as I figure this type of paint could never be done perfectly on a production car. My biggest concern is could the paint be matched after an accident and is there any of this paint in inventory anymore after the production of materials was lost in Japan following the earthquake/meltdown?
I seriously doubt it can be matched,the tiger stripes and blotches are hard to duplicate by a qualified painter who knows his profession.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:36 PM
bud miller
Melting Slicks

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

i believe there are other posts about the issues with blade silver 09-2010, many owners complain that especially qtr panels, down low along the bottom edges and front areas the coverage is terrible.
i am waiting on delivery of an 09 CSC z51 this weekend from TX
bud
Old 11-17-2011, 08:37 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 685 Likes on 508 Posts

petermj,
If it actually is a defect in the painting they will do a repaint. However, it needs to be an actual defect.

Justin

Originally Posted by petermj
When I asked my local dealer about my paint, I was told this is normal. So which way is it? My car would have to be completely repainted to remove the stripes and blotchiness. Let us get real answers and directions how to go about it.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:27 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

petermj,
If it actually is a defect in the painting they will do a repaint. However, it needs to be an actual defect.

Justin
How do you EXACTLY define a paint defect? Also, looking at my hatch, the fiberglass is beyond wavy in the area at the bottom next to the leading edge of hatch glass. Is this considered a defect or instead a typical quality of the product? Last time I asked the dealer rep about these issues, I was told I would be better off buying a lexus, hmmm...
Old 11-17-2011, 10:57 AM
CorvetteRL
Lifetime Vette Lover
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

CorvetteRL,

Justin
My 09 Blade Silver Z06 paint looks terrible in sunlight - blotchy... looks like it was sprayed with a spray can. Everyone knows what I'm talking about - I'd say it is obviously a factory defect - can't believe GM let's them out the door that way... what do i do?
Old 11-17-2011, 11:00 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

petermj,

Justin
Here is a thought for you: why don't you get in touch with me, I can PM you my phone number and set up a meeting for me with a FACTORY rep, not a dealer service rep to look at the car. Should be easy to see what is wrong with this car and why this may be the last vette for me. I was actually accused by the dealer rep of having a botched body and paint work done on this car because it truly looks like a spray can job. I had a black vette before and a yellow one, they looked very decent but if this was my first vette, I would not a vette owner at all. I look at my current yellow Z06 and my silver base and shake my head everytime seeing the difference between solid color and this poor excuse for silver metalic, not to mention the crap I continue to take from people I know who happened to paint cars for living. Again, let us see how GM stands behind their product.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:32 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Has anyone filed a complaint with GM regarding blade silver issues? I talked to BG rep and she said they were not aware of any issues with BS
Old 11-17-2011, 05:14 PM
CorvetteRL
Lifetime Vette Lover
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Has anyone filed a complaint with GM regarding blade silver issues? I talked to BG rep and she said they were not aware of any issues with BS
What are the proper channels to file an official complaint? Anyone have a contact name, email, phone number?
Old 11-17-2011, 05:20 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CorvetteRL
What are the proper channels to file an official complaint? Anyone have a contact name, email, phone number?
Tjhrough your dealer, according to GM phone reps.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:19 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my 97 Tier One Comp TA (gm/slp engineering) had the same prob. Its very difficult to get the metallic disbursement (metal flakes) to flow so that all angles and areas match the same. All the Comp TA's were the same color.. at the one and only gathering we had, 17 showed up (out of 164 built ) we all spent some time comparing our paint and every single car was different at different angles.. funny, part of owning silver we were told by a GM rep at the Poncho Nats ...LOL

Get notified of new replies

To Blade Silver - Weird patterns in direct sun

Old 11-17-2011, 06:30 PM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I seriously doubt it can be matched,the tiger stripes and blotches are hard to duplicate by a qualified painter who knows his profession.
You need to stop saying "tiger stripes" as you obviously have NO friggin idea what you are talking about when it comes to paint.

If you want to argue about paint - bring it on!

It is called mottling - as I have already posted at the start of this thread (and so did Racer)

Mottling is not considered a paint defect from any OEM I know of.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:38 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Swiftrider08
You need to stop saying "tiger stripes" as you obviously have NO friggin idea what you are talking about when it comes to paint.

If you want to argue about paint - bring it on!

It is called mottling - as I have already posted at the start of this thread (and so did Racer)

Mottling is not considered a paint defect from any OEM I know of.
Spare me your lecture, tiger stripe is a very legitimate term, all paint guys (professionals) I know use it... And yes, it is a defect, unless you do not have a clue what word defect means. Look it up, beats being a jerk to others.

http://www.autobody101.com/forums/vi...hp?f=5&t=17092

http://www.ehow.com/list_6953096_cau...car-paint.html

Last edited by petermj; 11-17-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:41 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
my 97 Tier One Comp TA (gm/slp engineering) had the same prob. Its very difficult to get the metallic disbursement (metal flakes) to flow so that all angles and areas match the same. All the Comp TA's were the same color.. at the one and only gathering we had, 17 showed up (out of 164 built ) we all spent some time comparing our paint and every single car was different at different angles.. funny, part of owning silver we were told by a GM rep at the Poncho Nats ...LOL
No, it is not all that difficult, lack of quality control, inferior paint supplies and lack of qualified professionals typically lead to these problems.

Quick Reply: Blade Silver - Weird patterns in direct sun