C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed the Progressive Snap Shot device in my Z06

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 12:12 PM
racerx3317
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by WarDriver
data they collect - you only know what Another poster already mentioned that the time of day that you drive is monitored; does that show up in your little report?
As a matter of fact, yes it does. As does everything else they monitor.

Originally Posted by WarDriver
Please be sure to post a follow-up when you actually do get your bill. Same goes for the OP. Go ahead, prove everyone here wrong!
I'll be more than happy to prove YOU wrong. Hell, I'll give you my log in and password so you can see it for yourself. I'll tell you what, if I'm wrong, and I get nothing, I'll buy you a case of your favorite beer and send it to you.

Last edited by racerx3317; 11-10-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:15 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Frack that.

I seriously can't believe you put that thing on a Z.

Last edited by FloydSummerOf68; 11-10-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:22 PM
Biggus Blockus
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

If you look closer into the history of Progressive Insurance and read up on the politics of it's founder....well, let's just say I wouldn't let them anywhere near my car's computer much less buy insurance from them.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:23 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Originally Posted by AmitZ06
I mean, i'm a college student. Every penny helps me out......

If you were even slightly concerned with the penny's helping you out as a college student you wouldn't have both an M3 and a Z06.

This thread is ridiculous.

Last edited by FloydSummerOf68; 11-10-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:25 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Originally Posted by racerx3317
As a matter of fact, yes it does. As does everything else they monitor.
That is a HUGE assumption.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:33 PM
doubledime
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggus Blockus
If you look closer into the history of Progressive Insurance and read up on the politics of it's founder....well, let's just say I wouldn't let them anywhere near my car's computer much less buy insurance from them.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:33 PM
racerx3317
Drifting

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
That is a HUGE assumption.
You're assuming it's a GPS when in fact it isn't. The device just goes plugged into your OBD port. Other than what the car is telling it (G's, accel, etc), it knows nothing more. I was skeptical at first myself and with divulging too much info, if the device really did have GPS. I'd would have been dropped immediately. It's all right here.
http://www.progressive.com/auto/snap...onditions.aspx

Last edited by racerx3317; 11-10-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:00 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Old 11-10-2011, 01:16 PM
Ed32
Racer

He is 24, plenty of time to enjoy his Z!! There r some sacrifices you have to make if you get a Vette when u r young; and that's better than driving an uncomfortable car when you are an aching old man with a beer belly. I hate Progressive and his commercials, but good luck. I hope this works for you
Old 11-10-2011, 01:26 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

I have State Farm and they have teamed up with OnStar to do something similar. I received two letters from State Farm saying I could get free OnStar (entry level, without the NAV), and could possibly get a discount. I threw the letters in the trash as I didn't want them to see me driving my C6Z in 2.5 miles ovals at 165+MPH with some hard braking thrown in.

I'm only paying $575 a year for insurance on the 09 Z(combined with three other cars and my home) so any savings they would give me wouldn't add to much, and I don't like the flip side of that coin.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:43 PM
racerx3317
Drifting

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I have State Farm and they have teamed up with OnStar to do something similar. I received two letters from State Farm saying I could get free OnStar (entry level, without the NAV), and could possibly get a discount. I threw the letters in the trash as I didn't want them to see me driving my C6Z in 2.5 miles ovals at 165+MPH with some hard braking thrown in.

I'm only paying $575 a year for insurance on the 09 Z(combined with three other cars and my home) so any savings they would give me wouldn't add to much, and I don't like the flip side of that coin.
I wouldn't do anything involving OnStar and that whole debacle they caused. For you, it wouldn't make sense but in my case, I'm saving around 600 per year. Amit could save even more.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:44 PM
Ed32
Racer

Originally Posted by JoesC5

If you drive the Z less than 7500 miles a year you could save a little more if you list it as a recreational / weekend vehicle.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:48 PM
Invicta1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ozer
That device is meant for Corolla, Camry, and Civic owners. In time, their rate will drop by 30%, which will compensated by us and yes our rates will increase!

Long story short: are you kidding right? How would you even think that device will help you save? It is like voluntarily being OK to traffic cameras as long as the penalty comes at a discount. Did you hear the term "big brother"?
Agree. So what will they do when you take it to the track for 1/4 miles or a road course? Might as well have a camera installed in your car as well to make sure they know if you are talking on your cell or texting while driving. And while we are at it a permanent breathalizer with ignition lockout.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:51 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Originally Posted by racerx3317
You're assuming it's a GPS when in fact it isn't. The device just goes plugged into your OBD port. Other than what the car is telling it (G's, accel, etc), it knows nothing more. I was skeptical at first myself and with divulging too much info, if the device really did have GPS. I'd would have been dropped immediately. It's all right here.
http://www.progressive.com/auto/snap...onditions.aspx
I was not assuming it's a GPS, I just said it's a big assumption to say it's only logging what they list when, like you said, it can log anything the car reports.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:01 PM
racerx3317
Drifting

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
I was not assuming it's a GPS, I just said it's a big assumption to say it's only logging what they list when, like you said, it can log anything the car reports.
Other than what it's actually reporting which is listed, I would seriously doubt Progressive would want to know about any of the car's other operating parameters which is the other thing that OBD reports.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:28 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,476 Likes on 1,028 Posts

LOL!! The best thing about this is....my premium won't increase!! Well....thats what they say. So, my plan is to drive around the block very slow once a week. My Z was my daily driver this past year. I finally realized I'm logging wayyyy too many miles and this would be the best tactic to just put it away....for awhile. I can't go a day without driving it....so wish me luck.... :-/
That is their incentive: They simply use people's greed against themselves. I'm sure your rates won't increase, but soon enough, the Z06's risk category will increase (along with your rate) and more, anyone else who does refuse to yield will become a member of 'outsider' category, whose premiums will increase a lot more for sure!

All in all, in the land of the free, it sounds insane to me that you would yield this. Moreover, the other way of looking at it is also problematic: if you bought a Z06 to drive it like a minivan, perhaps you should just sell your car and save a lot more $$ than you could otherwise save from the Progressive deal.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:46 PM
AmitZ06
Pro

Alright guys.....easy on the bashing lol..... I was just trying to save a couple bucks. Anyway long story short.... I found out they want it in your car 30 days and AT LEAST another 6 months! F that!!! So, I pulled it out, called progressive, and I am now sending it back!

Get notified of new replies

To Just installed the Progressive Snap Shot device in my Z06

Old 11-10-2011, 04:47 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,476 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Alright guys.....easy on the bashing lol..... I was just trying to save a couple bucks. Anyway long story short.... I found out they want it in your car 30 days and AT LEAST another 6 months! F that!!! So, I pulled it out, called progressive, and I am now sending it back!
Happy ending :P
Old 11-10-2011, 04:54 PM
VALS3
Advanced

So, Progressive claims that they will drop my insurance up to 30%, if i'm a "good driver." The device which plugs into your car, records speed, distance traveled, time car was driven, and when you brake hard. You can monitor it online and check how you were driving.

So far, i've taken my car out once. I drove about 2.3 miles to nearest McDonalds. When I logged into progressive.com, it gave me all the detailed information. It also said, that I "hard braked" twice (decelerating at a rate of 7mph in 1 sec). Which is total BS! I'm honestly scared to drive my car now lol... Lets see how this goes, ill keep you guys updated!

Amit
They might consider basing your risk on your previous driving history. Have to think that most if not all of us on this forum have driven over 10 years and 120K miles (most double that), more than enough to forecast risk. But then again I am not an actuarialist
Old 11-10-2011, 05:12 PM
GRG
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

When you "go through the gears" it automatically triples your rate. If you get a second gear scratch they send out a cancellation notice!

Quick Reply: Just installed the Progressive Snap Shot device in my Z06