C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HUD and polarized sunglasses

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Corvette00Car
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HUD and polarized sunglasses

I went to COSTCO to get new perscription sunglasses. When I had my C5 I had tinted lenses because transitions don't work in the car and polarized lenses wipes out the HUD. Well they no longer sell tinted lenses bummer. Does anyone else have trouble with the HUD and polarized sunglasses?
Old 11-07-2011, 03:39 PM
gaphono
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

No problems with my prescription sunglasses
Old 11-07-2011, 03:41 PM
JLargo
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I don't wear prescription glasses, but when I wear my polarized sun glasses it does mess with the HUD display.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:46 PM
PeterSG
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20

Polarized sunglasses reduce the visibility -- the brightness -- of the HUD display by about half. When wearing polarized sunglasses I click up the HUD's brightness.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:03 PM
gerryt
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No probs for me.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:37 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 345 Likes on 222 Posts

Here's the issue in simplistic terms: The light reflected off the HUD display is itself polarized. Polarized sunglasses, by design, reduce the light on a specific axis. IF the HUD's reflection is polarized opposite to the sunglasses, then the display will dim when viewed through the sunglasses. You can test this by canting your head to one side while wearing your sunglasses -- the display should get brighter when you alter the axis.

One solution is to buy a sheet or two of 3M copier transparency film from your local office supply store, and cut the film to fit over the HUD screen. That will alter the polarity of the light from the HUD so that it is not diminished by the sunglasses. (You may want to rotate the film before cutting to pick the most effective orientation.)

That said, GM has apparently changed something in the newer models, as I see no dimming in my 2012 when wearing polarized Maui Jims.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:51 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

The HUD and DIC displays are LCDs. The light coming from them is polarized. From http://www.buzzle.com/articles/how-d...sses-work.html , "In order to understand the working principle of polarized sunglasses, let's discuss in brief about the reflection of light from the plain, smooth surfaces. When light falls on a flat and smooth medium, the reflected light is directed in the horizontal planes (polarized), rather than dispersing or scattering in all directions. The horizontally oriented reflected light is experienced as annoying flashes of white, known as glare. A prolonged exposure to such light intensities may result in temporary blindness.

In polarized sunglasses, a special filter is used that helps in eliminating the reflected light of high intensity or glare. In other terms, this polarized filter allows passing only a portion of light having wavelengths that are not aligned with the particles of the filter. Speaking about the composition of polarized filters, they are made up of chemical compound coated on a transparent glass or plastic lens. The chemical film consisted of tiny molecules that align in a parallel fashion with respect to one another.

If the chemical film is coated uniformly on the lens, the molecules absorb the entry of all light intensities that matches their alignment. Since glares are mostly caused by the horizontally oriented light waves, polarized sunglasses are designed in such a way that they allow passing of only vertical polarized light. With such polarized sunglasses, the texture and shape of objects become more clear, irrespective of the glare. This way, polarized lens reduces the glare effect. One of the drawbacks of polarized sunglasses is that liquid crystal displays (LCD's) may not be visible while viewing at specific angles."

Bill
Old 11-07-2011, 05:34 PM
TLK
Pro

St. Jude Donor '09-'11

I don't have problems with my Rx polarized sunglasses and the HUD. It all depends on how the two are aligned. On my M3, the center console / radio display is completely invisible with the same glasses on.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:50 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Having spent most of my life on the water....I know sunglasses. The quality of polarized lenses goes hand in hand with the price of said eyewear. I wear "Serengeti Drivers" when on the road and have absolutely no problem with the HUD. On the water I wear "Ocean Waves" with the bi focal lense. Once again I have no problem seeing the various electronic screens on my flybridge.

I have tried almost every single type of polarized lense ever made....and there is a difference between brands.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:24 PM
bigblock427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,355 Likes on 1,062 Posts

I don't wear prescription sunglasses. I own a pair of RayBan polarized sunglasses and the radio and air conditioning displays, as well as the HUD display are more difficult to read when wearing the polarized sun glasses.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:29 PM
LucaBrasiAZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 70 Posts

i have a 2012 and polarized maui Jims and it definitely cuts the brightness down by at least half, but it still is acceptable to view.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:34 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by gaphono
No problems with my prescription sunglasses
That does not mean your glasses are polarized!

Polarized glasses play havoc with glass displays.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:37 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterSG
Polarized sunglasses reduce the visibility -- the brightness -- of the HUD display by about half. When wearing polarized sunglasses I click up the HUD's brightness.
Not mine. I have two sets of prescription sunglasses; one with tinting, one with the same tinting but polarized.

I see absolutely no difference in the HUD.

Maybe it's the quality of the polarizing process. I paid an additional $100 for it to be added.

[added]

Could be my anti-glare prescription glasses are not actually polarized. I'll find out next time I talk to my optometrist.

Last edited by keyplyr; 11-07-2011 at 09:20 PM. Reason: added comment
Old 11-07-2011, 10:01 PM
studiovette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I was messing with mine yesterday while cruising. Whenever I wear my polarized pres. Shades I can barely see the HUD with my regular shades its fine. Also kinda on the same topic do the buttons for the HUD on left hand side of cluster chime when pressed like the right side? Am I losing my mind cause mine are not chiming. Only my DIC controls make the sound when pressed. Am i going
Old 11-07-2011, 10:22 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by studiovette
do the buttons for the HUD on left hand side of cluster chime when pressed like the right side?
No chimes for me - left or right.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:23 PM
PeterSG
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20

Originally Posted by studiovette
I was messing with mine yesterday while cruising. Also kinda on the same topic do the buttons for the HUD on left hand side of cluster chime when pressed like the right side? Am I losing my mind cause mine are not chiming. Only my DIC controls make the sound when pressed. Am i going
~~~~~~~

My HUD controls make no sounds.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:22 PM
DopeyDude
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have any problems with my Serengeti's.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:57 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Also, there are many sunglasses that are sold as "polarized" but really are only very slightly so.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:11 AM
greengo
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Polarized Revo's are OK on the HUD but the radio and a/c controls are a mess !

Get notified of new replies

To HUD and polarized sunglasses

Quick Reply: HUD and polarized sunglasses